From a US Airways pilot to a AWA pilot

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Posted with permission from the author

I thought I'd let you know what a typical east pilot thinks about this arbitration award. I believe you have a website for pilots in the West. I have one here in the East called "Phillypilots" and I belong to 4 others. I thought this exchange of pilot to pilot views might be useful in letting your side know how we feel. I don't speak for our MEC nor any committee. I speak only for myself, but I believe I represent the feelings here at US Airways east.

First, let me introduce myself. My name is William Glynn. I am almost 56 years old and was hired at Piedmont Airlines in June 1987 before we merged with US Airways. As with every airline pilot, seniority is everything. From the moment I was hired, every aspect of my career was based on my seniority.

In these 20 years, I have waited patiently as bad management tried one plan after another to make this airline successful. Most of those plans were certain to fail. Management made their plans, took huge compensation, failed and fled. This airline has been a "cashcow" for everyone except the employees. I had no say in such matters but realized that someday, someone, probably the employees would have to pay for those mistakes. The airline, instead of expanding, often remained stagnant or contracted. Finally, in the golden days of the late nineties, with at least half of the other pilots here also waiting for their turn, I got a chance to upgrade. It came in 2000 and I held that seat until 2002. So for almost 18 years of my 20 years here, I have been a first officer.

Unfortunately, my story is a common one and I understand there are no guarantees in life. After 9/11, the airline dramatically downsized. US Airways was hit the hardest of all the airlines in the aftermath of those attacks. Because of the closure of DCA and the government restrictions in LGA and BOS as well as the fear passengers had of flying on the East coast, we suffered immense financial damage and we were unable to correct it in time before the company was forced into bankruptcy protection.

The pilots here had to make a decision after we went into bankruptcy. Do we vote "yes" to save our jobs and our company with the hope that someday we could live to fight another day or vote to end it all?

The majority made the decision to vote "yes" -- save the company. In turn, we lost most of our pensions. I went from making $165.00 per hr. as a Captain to $110.00 and hour as an F/O again. I lost a great deal of vacation and other perks. Others paid an even greater price and were furloughed. Pilots with as much as 15 yrs here at that time were looking for temporary jobs elsewhere. But we did it with the hope that we could save this company. We also understood that at some time in the future, if we did survive, the attrition rate through retirements would again allow those of us that downgraded to return to the left seat where we could make enough money to have a decent retirement.

The Teachers Retirement Fund of Alabama, the largest stake holder in the airline at that time recognized that if we were willing to sacrifice so much, they would help us to survive. They put a new CEO in place named Bruce Lakefield, a retired Wallstreet money man with no airline experience, but he did know Wallstreet and how to find money.

Enter AWA. They looked at US Airways during the first restructuring and told us they needed more concessions from the employees to make the numbers work. We were going to pay for this merger. So management came back to us and told us they needed more concessions. We voted "yes" again and my pay went to $85.00 per hour.

Of course, AWA airlines had no money to buy us. That was where Bruce Lakefield, our CEO came in. He put the money people together with AWA management and a merger was born. It all came about because we at US Airway sacrificed to allow it to happen.

Now, how to put two pilot groups together that was fair? Not easy since both sides were so diverse. Since both the East and the West could not agree to a fair seniority merger, we put it to arbitration. That was done based on the knowledge that ALPA policy would protect either side from a windfall. I know that I did not want to take a job from a pilot at AWA and I know I represent the views of the vast majority of the pilots here.

That was why we were so shocked after the arbitration award was posted. The gentleman immediately senior to me is from AWA and was hired in 2003! I lost 16 yrs seniority with the stroke of a pen. In fact, had I quit US Airways during the first bankruptcy and got hired at AWA, I would be senior to me today!

For many of us, the pilots from AWA airlines that were placed senior to us were as young as 10 yrs old when we were hire at US Airways. Some of those children may have come to see the cockpit when I was first hired and might be senior to me now. Some were back from furlough by merger date and were placed junior to a pilot with only a total of 2 months seniority and still on probation with the company and not yet full ALPA members. Do you see where I am going here?

This was not why I voted to save this airline and in a sense as we shall see, save your airline, so I can have my job taken from me by very very junior pilot from another airline.

Nicolau stated in his reasoning behind this ruling, that if it wasn't for AWA, US Airways would have disappeared. Let's examine that.

It has since been revealed that Scott Kirby was placed in charge of forming a secret plan called Zanzibar. This plan was to put AWA into bankruptcy immediately if the merger didn't go through and to downsize immediately by 15%. As everyone knows, going into bankruptcy is no guarantee that you will emerge. So much for AWA "saving" us. Who was about to save who? But I ask you, why should the financial situation of a company have any relationship to our seniority? They are and should be two separate issues.

The financial statistics that have since come out show that in 2005, AWA lost money while we in the East made a small profit. In 2006, the AWA side lost over 300 million dollars. The US Airways side made over $600 million, enough to make up for the AWA side and still give a profit of over $300 million dollars.

So, Let me get this straight. AWA has no money and is losing money at a prodigious rate, but has a young management team with some ideas how 2 airlines in financial trouble can help each side survive and prosper. US Airways has a CEO who specializes in getting the money for a merger. US Airways has an employee group that was willing to make huge concessions to survive, a route system second to none in the most profitable market in the US - the East coast, an extensive international route system and the widebody aircraft to fly them and an expanding Caribbean presence. So since neither airline could buy the other, why was that a consideration in the arbitration?

After studying the award, I realized the facts did not support his assertions. In addition, it was clear that AWA pilots were awarded jobs that before the award would have gone to east pilots. The AWA pilots got a huge windfall at our expense!

I participated, along with nearly 400 other pilots in the demonstration in Herndon last Monday to protest this award. I did this because looking at the facts and understanding the process Nicolau used to come up with his arbitration lead me to believe that this arbitration does not live up to the policies that ALPA National has placed for a fair arbitration to take place.

The AWA attorney's argument that the award was binding shows how weak that position is. In his response, he suggested that ALPA has no right to even look at the award but consider it binding and send it to the company. Would you still consider it binding if the arbitrator had decided seniority based on Alphabetical order? Or perhaps by Date of Birth? Of course not. ALPA has a clear and definite role to play to make sure their policies are followed. If not, why would the arbitration have to be first sent to ALPA to be certified and then sent on to the company? Why not have the arbitrator just send it to the company?

Your MEC Chairman suggested that ALPA get this certified as quickly as possible so we can go back to being unified in our struggle with the company. NOT A CHANCE! There will never be unification with the award as it now stands. That was a most naive assertion and it reflects how little understanding he has for our anger at this award.

To show how egregious this award is and how one sided it is, why is one side celebrating and trying to rush this through certification and the other side has mental health councilors on call? This award does not meet ALPA National policy nor the smell test.

This arbitration award will never go into effect. We have taken a stand. We will do whatever it takes to stop it from ever being implemented. We are nearly unanimous in our desire to decertify ALPA if they allow this award to stand. We have all paid our dues to ALPA, some for as much as 30 yrs and expect them to protect us from an arbitration that has not followed their policy.

We will hold ALPA National accountable. They changed the policy from "Date of Hire" to protect the United pilots should they merge with a more senior pilot group to a very convoluted and confusing policy. But there is no confusion to how this award will enhance the AWA pilots careers to the detriment of the US Airways pilots careers. We paid our dues with the understanding that ALPA would protect our jobs. If they don't we will find a union that will.

If we do decertify ALPA, and since we outnumber the AWA pilots by nearly 2 to 1, we will be taking you with us. We will form our own in-house union or go with a union like the Teamsters or APA. We will go with whoever looks at this award and sees the injustice of it all.

In addition, we are willing to keep both pilot groups separate. We realize we will not get the pay increases we would have enjoyed had we merged, but we would make that up as we upgraded to Captain or Captains of narrow body aircraft to widebody aircraft, etc. Those on furlough will be able to come back here knowing that at sometime in the near future, they will upgrade based on expansion and attrition through retirements.

Because of our lower pay structure, we will probably receive any new International flying and of course, we still keep all of the new E190 flying. No more joint negotiations.

In a merger with another carrier, we will still prevail because we will have the policy that protects us written into our new union bylaws.

When I was at the Herndon rally and saw as many Captains as F/O's, I realized for the first time just how unified and angry this group really is. We have had enough and we won't take any more. We would never allow the company to mess with our seniority, we sure as hell won't allow our union to do it.

No one here wants a job that was supposed to go to an AWA pilot. No one here wants to give up a job that was supposed to go to a US Airways pilot. That was why we expected fences to keep both sides separate. AWA pilots would move up through expansion or attrition as they would have if the merger had not taken place and based on your airline financially health. Our side would do the same. If a pilot from the East decided to move into one of your bases or yours into one of ours, there would need to be penalties so that no one side gets a windfall over the other.

This is in no way an implied threat. But I would not want to be the former AWA pilot with say 8 yrs seniority that moves to PHL to fly as a Captain. The 20+ yr. F/O's would be very difficult to fly with and for good reason. I hope you understand my meaning, so for all our sakes and for the sake of our company, this can't be allowed to happen.

So, now you understand our position. I don't talk for the MEC, but I know I do represent the average pilot here at US Airways.

I look forward to a fair and just conclusion to this episode so we can again be united to make this company great and to be fairly compensated for our work.

Please stay safe,

William G. Glynn,
F/O - A320, PHL

Very nicely worded post but we will just have to agree to disagree. I am former TWA. I have a habit of looking at things from the other angle.

Of course I also speak only for myself, but you have to look at it from the angle of furloughs. If it goes bad, I am of the mind that no active AWA pilot should be furloughed ahead of any of the East guys that were on the street as of the merger date, ever. Active jobs on the property are what count. Everyone else comes second; harsh, but realistic. Come up with that formula for that and I believe you have a winner.

I cannot help but wonder what would have happened had the East guys backed off of DOH. That is what got us where we are today. There must be a certain amount of flexibility when bringing two groups together, and it just was not there.

See CactusFlyr, the East Pilots have ALWAYS been... IT'S ALL ABOUT ME. Do I think they got the shaft, YES. But lets ask the Pilots of the WO at Piedmont about how the Mailine Boys did them in. Lets ask the Mechanics who Struck for Just Cause and what the East Pilots did to assist them? As I was taught at a very young age....What goes around comes around. In the end their GREED got them what they deserved. Again "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" failed this time and it's about time. Some of the problems that the USAir Management faced were a direct resluts of the East Pilots. And all you East Pilots from Chip to the Rest KNOW THAT IS FACT !!!!

See CactusFlyr, the East Pilots have ALWAYS been... IT'S ALL ABOUT ME. Do I think they got the shaft, YES. But lets ask the Pilots of the WO at Piedmont about how the Mailine Boys did them in. Lets ask the Mechanics who Struck for Just Cause and what the East Pilots did to assist them? As I was taught at a very young age....What goes around comes around. In the end their GREED got them what they deserved. Again "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" failed this time and it's about time. Some of the problems that the USAir Management faced were a direct resluts of the East Pilots. And all you East Pilots from Chip to the Rest KNOW THAT IS FACT !!!!

Alpa has a history of eating their young. Sure hurts when they bite back!

CactusFlyr,

In some of the past mergers to address the issue you wrote about the active pilots going into a merger had furlough protection. In this merger if a furloughed guy was senior to an active guy going into the merger the active guy would have career furlough protection in that he could never be furloughed before the inactive pilots placed on the list senior to him. We also had guys with career protection on the 767 in the Piedmont/USAir merger, and career protection for Empire pilots to hold the F28 including having different seniority than the system seniority for monthly bidding (super seniority if you will), becuase these were things that were brought into the merger with them.

UYH

Very nicely worded post but we will just have to agree to disagree. I am former TWA. I have a habit of looking at things from the other angle.

Of course I also speak only for myself, but you have to look at it from the angle of furloughs. If it goes bad, I am of the mind that no active AWA pilot should be furloughed ahead of any of the East guys that were on the street as of the merger date, ever. Active jobs on the property are what count. Everyone else comes second; harsh, but realistic. Come up with that formula for that and I believe you have a winner.

I cannot help but wonder what would have happened had the East guys backed off of DOH. That is what got us where we are today. There must be a certain amount of flexibility when bringing two groups together, and it just was not there.

USA320pilot,
We all understand your anger and frustration. However, the AWA pilots did NOT do this to you. Doug Parker did NOT do this to you. ALPA did NOT do this to you.
You made decisions, as we all do, to work there, to stay there, to take concessions, to do it again, on and on.
YOU DESIGNED YOUR LIFE-YOU PENCILED IT IN, AND FILLED IN THE COLORS. YOU!!!
While the strings of a violin at times sound soothing, at this point they are down right irritating.
We all know you have the corner in hell. We have heard it until we are blue in the face.
NO ONE WANTED THIS MERGER!!!
So, why don't you guys stop pointing your fingers out West? Our pilots are not responsible for the outcome!
WE ALL HAVE OUR ISSUES TO GET THROUGH WITH THIS MERGER. GOT IT?
LIVE WITH THE DECISIONS YOU HAVE MADE IN YOUR LIFE
OR MAKE A CHANGE THAT WILL BE RIGHT FOR YOU.
But please, stop acting like a victim of your own circumstances...

Funny how you bring that up...I just came across the following article.

Letters to the business editor
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WHAT GOES AROUND

I read Dan Fitzpatrick's article about the US Airways pilots with great interest ("U.S. Airways Pilots Not Flying Any Higher, May 11).

I am a former Piedmont pilot (now retired). What has happened to USAirways pilots is pretty much what they did to us in reverse. When they bought Piedmont, we were the larger carrier with growth and a vision. We had lots of airplanes on order. Of course, because of our success and growth we had more pilots, but with fewer years of service.

I can remember the USAirways pilots gloating over the arbitrator's award. They got a huge windfall of seniority and they knew it. I remember one of them telling me. "The buying company always gets what it wants."

They say "What goes around comes around." Here it comes!

I do, however, have great sympathy for the former Piedmont pilots as they have now been shortchanged by two mergers. Sometimes you just can't win.

BOB MADDOX, Charlotte, N.C

That was not offered, it was DOH or bust. You can even see that in East pilots previous posts from months ago. I am not interested in rehashing the same argument over and over as some do. Have a nice day. :D

Here's the END Game, for the "westies" they would be smart to appease the "easties" ... why?

1. the majority of the gross and subsequent net revenues com from the East (like over 71%).
2. as evidence by past actions the East can also generate massive losses, do not fool yourselves (both east and west) this company cannot withstand perpetual continued weak(fiscally) successive quarters
3. AWA essentianlly will end up with the entire airline
4. a westie could easily say, the award is out too bad, life isnt fair you don't like it leave.
5. an eastie of course would argue seniority for the remainder of the time left.
6. the easties have nothing to lose
7. the westies have everything to lose (the demise of the company)
8. in the risk managment game the object would be to manage the risk midigating downside potential leaving only upside (no matter how small) the preffered route over a greater length of time (meaning if you go for big returns you might suffer big losses..such that you can never recover to what you had... (see nasdaq 1999-2007) making the logical conculsion as follows.

9. the westies will end up with the company (all widebodies, all int'l flying, all pilot slots) in no more than 10 years (7 is more realistic but i'm saying 10 to be safe) due to the attrition (yes age 60 here even if 65 it would apply equally to both groups and slide but not alter the ultimate conclusion)
10. in present form this "list" is generating such ill will in present form it is already spilling over in to customer relations such that revenue will soon be affected if present path continued.
11. by say get this Agreeing to the list in present form with say a side agreement that it shall not take form until XX date (7years from now when over 82% of east pilots will have retired) westies get the list, easties do not "lose anything" eastie copilots would move up as the rapid retirements occur, and then as they themselves retire the westies end up with it all.
12. the alternative as viewed from the outside, is that more languishing occurs which makes the company vulnerable from within and without (other companies will pick off highest revenue generators....see SWA in BWI and PHL).
13. the Westies are betting more than they realize (my opinion) and the Easties are in a corner with almost nothing left but can significantly alter the course of the future of the company (see EAL).

14. personally i would recommend, allowing easties to have their seniority, allow those co pilots to replace those pilot slots that retire (from east only), no westie is displaced nor loses present position, in fact as say 10% retire and move up one could erase 10% of this "agreement or fence" such that it auto sunsets with the last retirement from the east. this would result in pacification of the larger revenue generators, allow for 0 energy to be wasted on internal problems and could then focus on external fights with competitiors, which i feel could gain market share from competitors, which would enance the final postions of the westies that would end up not only at the top of this pilot list but occupy over 95% of the list in less than 10 years time (again assuming age 60).

i am neither an eastie nor a westie, take it for what its worth, as indicated by many others (the street, other airlines, other groups) this "list thing" is much much bigger than either group realizes and sometimes a compromise will allow both sides to win (abate different times) easties get their last 7 years, westies get the rest for the forseeable future of the company.

good luck to both sides, this company has a path of tremendous potential or something very ominous, the pilots as much as managment would hate to admit it have much more to do with the success of an airline than any other employee group.

:up:

Binding Arbitration Boys. It will not be overturned.
Have fun trying. The senior boys will sell out the junior guys for a 5 cent pay raise.

USA320pilot,
We all understand your anger and frustration. However, the AWA pilots did NOT do this to you. Doug Parker did NOT do this to you. ALPA did NOT do this to you.
You made decisions, as we all do, to work there, to stay there, to take concessions, to do it again, on and on.
While the strings of a violin at times sound soothing, at this point they are down right irritating.
We all know you have the corner in hell. We have heard it until we are blue in the face.
So, why don't you guys stop pointing your fingers out West? Our pilots are not responsible for the outcome!

Well stated!!!!

Here's the END Game, for the "westies" they would be smart to appease the "easties" ... why?

1. the majority of the gross and subsequent net revenues com from the East (like over 71%).
2. as evidence by past actions the East can also generate massive losses, do not fool yourselves (both east and west) this company cannot withstand perpetual continued weak(fiscally) successive quarters
3. AWA essentianlly will end up with the entire airline
4. a westie could easily say, the award is out too bad, life isnt fair you don't like it leave.
5. an eastie of course would argue seniority for the remainder of the time left.
6. the easties have nothing to lose
7. the westies have everything to lose (the demise of the company)
8. in the risk managment game the object would be to manage the risk midigating downside potential leaving only upside (no matter how small) the preffered route over a greater length of time (meaning if you go for big returns you might suffer big losses..such that you can never recover to what you had... (see nasdaq 1999-2007) making the logical conculsion as follows.

9. the westies will end up with the company (all widebodies, all int'l flying, all pilot slots) in no more than 10 years (7 is more realistic but i'm saying 10 to be safe) due to the attrition (yes age 60 here even if 65 it would apply equally to both groups and slide but not alter the ultimate conclusion)
10. in present form this "list" is generating such ill will in present form it is already spilling over in to customer relations such that revenue will soon be affected if present path continued.
11. by say get this Agreeing to the list in present form with say a side agreement that it shall not take form until XX date (7years from now when over 82% of east pilots will have retired) westies get the list, easties do not "lose anything" eastie copilots would move up as the rapid retirements occur, and then as they themselves retire the westies end up with it all.
12. the alternative as viewed from the outside, is that more languishing occurs which makes the company vulnerable from within and without (other companies will pick off highest revenue generators....see SWA in BWI and PHL).
13. the Westies are betting more than they realize (my opinion) and the Easties are in a corner with almost nothing left but can significantly alter the course of the future of the company (see EAL).

14. personally i would recommend, allowing easties to have their seniority, allow those co pilots to replace those pilot slots that retire (from east only), no westie is displaced nor loses present position, in fact as say 10% retire and move up one could erase 10% of this "agreement or fence" such that it auto sunsets with the last retirement from the east. this would result in pacification of the larger revenue generators, allow for 0 energy to be wasted on internal problems and could then focus on external fights with competitiors, which i feel could gain market share from competitors, which would enance the final postions of the westies that would end up not only at the top of this pilot list but occupy over 95% of the list in less than 10 years time (again assuming age 60).

i am neither an eastie nor a westie, take it for what its worth, as indicated by many others (the street, other airlines, other groups) this "list thing" is much much bigger than either group realizes and sometimes a compromise will allow both sides to win (abate different times) easties get their last 7 years, westies get the rest for the forseeable future of the company.

good luck to both sides, this company has a path of tremendous potential or something very ominous, the pilots as much as managment would hate to admit it have much more to do with the success of an airline than any other employee group.

:up:

Just not going to do that and here's why. It's been stated time and time again that deals were offered and they refused. So if I understand this right the mentality is I win if the arb gives me DOH or I win if he doesn't cause I'll burn it down if I don't win. This sounds like the antics of spoiled children.

Deal time came and went so now the east has absolutly nothing to deal with! The very best outcome for all parties is get some good money thru a good contract but outside of that I just don't see it.

I doubt the Stockholm syndrome will work with the AWA pilots. If problems ensue, then Doug will just sell of the parts. AMR would love to have the Shuttle and SWA would love to have PHL. But the most likely scenario is that the airline plugs along, Doug merges it again, and the beat will go on.

I'm a 3 yr. FO out here and I feel I did not get a windfall. I started out at 94% and I ended up at 94%. I guess it all depends on what someone's definition of seniority is. If a 3 yr. guy is at the bottom and a 16 yr. guy is also at the bottom, then to me we're the same. Regardless of what happened to each of us in the past. So I ask, "What windfall?" all this east attrition I keep reading about? Well on a percentage basis, east capts. vs. west capts. retirements are very close. The east is more of course but not by much. And remember, the top 500 guys DID get what you wanted, DOH. And for the record, I guarentee you there's hardly no 8 yr. (or any year) captain that wants to go to PHL. You people seem to think there's this humungus group ready to do a mass exodus out to the east, even if it is international flying. Not many will commute clear across the country to fly 330's to Europe, I sure as hell wouldn't. So in a way you will have your fenses after all. I'm sorry what has happened to all the east pilots over the last two decades, but stapling me to the bottom for the next decade is not how you make up for it.

And one last thing. Every airline has a "project Zanzibar". If you read what Scott's letter says, he mentions that it would've been very unlikly to have been used. You don't go from being in the black straight to bankruptcy. First there's a few quarters of losses, then you hear concessions, then as a last resort you contemplate bk. You guys know the routine all to well, so please don't rush the conclusion of AWA's dismise with "probables". Stick with the facts: growing, hiring, profitable.

USA320pilot,

Yea, but AWA got into bed with AAA. So it's your baby as well.