Farewell From Your Local 40 President

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
From the AFA PIT Website:
November 19, 2005

Dear Members of Local 40,

In a few short weeks, I will be taking the VFLR.

Being that this program is a furlough, I can only say that I will remain on the seniority list and have recall rights when the company begins to expand and grow. Hopefully, this new management will steer the company on the path of success and "recall" will occur sometime in the future for all furloughees.

Its important to note that the Local office will be closing down on November 30 due to a decrease in population in our base. Within these past four years, we have gone from nearly 3,000 active flight attendants, down to 437 on December 2. Your local officers have been preparing this shut down of the Local office and have been transferring files and equipment/computers etc. We have set up a new Local 40 office number commencing on November 23: 412-245-1214. Mark Gentile and Candi Covelli will be receiving your calls. You can also e-mail/contact Mark Gentile at: [email protected], or Candi, at [email protected]. This new office phone number can also be found on the website, AFA Bulletin Board and in the Crew Room. You will still be able to contact me through my same AFA e-mail through the month of December. I will respond to whatever you ask, and however I can assist you.

Mark Gentile, will soon be taking the seat of the Local Executive Council President when I resign my seat, and will become your representative as an MEC voting member. He will take his office duties and work out of his home similar to the LECPs of LGA, BOS, and DCA. I have not given AFA notice yet, and may not do so until sometime in December to relinquish my seat, depending on how this new management engages our group, and what type of reformed discipline policies they will unveil to the MEC. Because the elected secretary treasurer resigned last year in July of 2004, my resignation will trigger a new election in this local for the LEC Vice President seat and Secretary/Treasurer, according to our AFA Constitution & Bylaws.

Candi Covelli, who has been our acting Secretary and grievance chair and has done a great job will maintain the business of the office and will continue to file grievances as well as assist Mark on daily issues and phone calls until there is a new election. She has also been elected as the Co-MEC Chair of Uniforms, Jeff Forbes, Donna Sunderman will continue to be your council reps and represent your best interest in the local. Celine Deluca is the new Local Reserve Chair and will continue to address reserve issues, as well as sit as AFA MEC System Board Member.

I can't begin to express to you what an extraordinary experience and privilege it has been to be your representative and serve you during the most tumultuous time in our industry's history. One of the most important realizations for me is the importance of having full membership participation which is vital to the solidarity and greatness of our AFA organization and the labor movement. Your leaders have an obligation and responsibility to keep the flow of information continuous so you can keep connecting the dots. And just as vital is your feedback to ensure that your leaders know your needs in the work place and represent your collective voices. The MEC is held accountable when representing your collective interest. Please ensure that you are signed up on the MEC E-line and the PIT E-line, as that is the best venue for receiving updates and staying informed. It is important to remember that all base presidents on the MEC level effect all of your work lives, and the decisions that are made by each individual president at the round table effect all of you in their decision-making process. Hold them all accountable. Engage one another in all bases to keep unified and solidified on issues that effect you and ensuring that corporate greed and shareholder interest does not continue to satisfy itself on the backs of the employees.

I fully admit that during my tenure, I have not been the easiest, reasonable, diplomatic, calm union rep of our time, when dealing with management, or some members of the MEC and AFA International. I have strived for fairness, and consistency in representing your voice at the highest level. I have pulled and tugged, and bit, and spit, and kicked and stomped when necessary, using every available legal means including public contacts, media, chat boards, any medium at my disposal in striving for balance on your behalf. I have been schooled well, and I thank you for your unwavering support in this unfriendly labor environment. Above all, I thank you for your trust in respecting my position whether I held the Local Office President seat or the MEC President seat.

I have faith in this MEC and believe they are prepared to guard, protect the CBA, your jobs, and represent the entire flight attendant group with all their might. If they don't, I know you will remove them. As I hand over the baton to Mark Gentile, I am confident that he is beyond capable and beyond talented enough to maintain continuity in representing you in this local, protecting your contractual rights and keeping you informed. I am proud of all the Officers and especially proud of you, the members, for your solidarity, and mostly the greatness you have risen to in making AFA a fine organization.

Finally, I will end this message by letting you know that I will never forget, nor get over these extraordinary past few years, and I pledge to honor our history by telling our story of our collective experience to anyone who cares to listen, and even those who don't.

Happy holidays and be safe as we approach the end of the year. Wishing you all a bright future and better times ahead for you and your families.

In solidarity,

Teddy Xidas
Local Executive Council President, Local 40, Pittsburgh

I know your decision was not taken lightly. Best of wishes!

Thank You Xidas for all the kicking and screaming, you have done a great job and I am sure will continue to do so, even though not in the daily spotlight, we respect your opinion so GIVE it OFTEN to our new leaders!! Thank You and enjoy the Holidays and New Year!!!

god speed teddy. even though i sometimes did not agree with things you said or did, i cannot take away the fact that you fought for our rights. and for that i thank you .good luck in your future endeavors. although i still think that there will be a little of teddy left here at usairways ;) . once again , thank you for all you have done for this f/a group. there will never be anyone like you. god bless & fly safe.

US Airways is losing one of the best. Good luck in the future, Pitbull (I got called on the carpet by the moderators once by using your name in a reply even though you signed your post with your name.

Pitbull tell Teddy Best of luck and it was a pleasure fighting the good fight with her.

PITBull,

Pass it on to Ms.Xidas...that in my humble opinion , She (Teddy) was the ONLY true Union Leader that earned the right to be called a leader.

Right or wrong...Teddy has always stuck to her guns in defense on Organized Labor at U...and with those she had to fight with...sticking to her guns was the only recourse.

Keep fighting the good fight...as we all know that thier are more ahead of us.

I can't begin to express to you what an extraordinary experience and privilege it has been to be your representative and serve you during the most tumultuous time in our industry's history. One of the most important realizations for me is the importance of having full membership participation which is vital to the solidarity and greatness of our AFA organization In solidarity,

Teddy Xidas
Local Executive Council President, Local 40, Pittsburgh

Sky high states:
<STANDING OVATION>
....Teddy, You are leaving very big shoes to fill. Your job was a task that turned into an extraordinary experience! And, you stepped up and SHINED.
THANK YOU.

...and in the end, the power of "NO" triumphed after all.