Feeling The Pain

justaumechanic

Veteran
Dec 15, 2003
This says it all. They smell the blood.

Following is a sample of the one-way introductory fares. Fares listed require a fourteen-day advance purchase and are valid in either direction:

Charlotte - Atlanta $59
Charlotte - Baltimore/Washington (BWI) $59
Charlotte - Boston $89
Charlotte - Chicago (Midway) $89
Charlotte - Dallas/Ft. Worth $99
Charlotte - Denver $109
Charlotte - Ft. Lauderdale $79
Charlotte - Ft. Myers $79
Charlotte - Grand Bahama Island $89
Charlotte - Gulfport/Biloxi $79
Charlotte - Indianapolis $89
Charlotte - Las Vegas $129
Charlotte - Los Angeles $129
Charlotte - Miami $79
Charlotte - New Orleans $79
Charlotte - New York (LaGuardia) $89
Charlotte - Orlando $79
Charlotte - Pensacola/Gulf Coast $79
Charlotte - Pittsburgh $89
Charlotte - Sarasota/Bradenton $79
Charlotte - Savannah/Hilton Head $79
Charlotte - Tampa $79
Charlotte - Washington, D.C. (Dulles or Reagan) $89
Charlotte - West Palm Beach $79
Indianapolis - Atlanta $59
Indianapolis - Boston $89
Indianapolis - Baltimore/Washington (BWI) $89
Indianapolis - Dallas/Ft. Worth $99
Indianapolis - Ft. Lauderdale $79
Indianapolis - Grand Bahama Island $99
Indianapolis - Gulfport/Biloxi $79
Indianapolis - Las Vegas $119
Indianapolis - Los Angeles $119
Indianapolis - Miami $89
Indianapolis - Myrtle Beach $79
Indianapolis - New Orleans $79
Indianapolis - New York (LaGuardia and Newark) $99
Indianapolis - Newport News/Williamsburg $89
Indianapolis - Orlando $79
Indianapolis - Pensacola/Gulf Coast $79
Indianapolis - Tampa $79
Indianapolis - Washington, D.C. (Dulles or Reagan) $89
Indianapolis - West Palm Beach $79

Just a quick look it appears to be connecting service thru Atlanta.

Regardless look at the fares.. Thats the part that is going to hurt.

Those fares are great IF you want to spend hours going through ATL. My son had to connect through ATL just last night and was 3 hours late. Yup, that's how I want to spend my time, holding to get into ATL.

CaptBud330 said:
Those fares are great IF you want to spend hours going through ATL. My son had to connect through ATL just last night and was 3 hours late. Yup, that's how I want to spend my time, holding to get into ATL.
[post="257056"][/post]​

Yeah sitting in PHL or PIT is so much better :down: :stupid:

Atlantic said:
Actually, PIT is better.
[post="257061"][/post]​

Oh Yeah.....Like sitting in CLT is a trip to hell or something?

CLT is a great airport...So what if you don't have an over-priced shopping day at the Sky-Mall , who can's live without that? , not to mention the majority of the cool stores in the mall have closed up due to lack of business after public access became a thing of the past.

Lets not forget..the High cost enviroment that the PIT Hub caused thanks to Colodny and Allegheny County is one of the many reasons that PIT is not a Hub at all anymore. CLT might be a lot of things...but Stupid and Non-Cost Effective aren't on the list.

Air Trans rates out of CLT are re-creating an enviroment in CLT like the pre-piedmont Hub days in CLT.

The old saying in CLT back in the 60's 70's and early 80's was....even if you died..your trip to heaven or hell meant a connection through ATL

exagony said:
Yeah sitting in PHL or PIT is so much better :down: :stupid:
[post="257060"][/post]​

I believe all but MDW and GPT are served nonstop from CLT so there isnt a need to connect via PHL or PIT for most of the cities mentioned in this regards, unless of course you're looking for that "special" fare.

No, CLT isn't the worst that can happen. It's a plain Jane 4 box terminal, mim. moving sidewalks, sub par food. Not much to look at from the outside. Probably built non union. Built on the cheep. But it works though. Runways and taxiways are ok. ATC in and out is ok too. Don't know about parking, but it's probably ok too. More was put into the PIT termanal. And it cost more. So it cost more to use.
Sort of like Motel 6 v/s Hilton. The newer terminal in DEN cost even more, but it's even more classy. Fee's are close to $20 per pax. The stores in PIT pay their own way, doesn't figger into the charge per pax.

justaumechanic said:
This says it all. They smell the blood.

Following is a sample of the one-way introductory fares. Fares listed require a fourteen-day advance purchase and are valid in either direction:
Charlotte - Atlanta $59
Charlotte - Baltimore/Washington (BWI) $59
Charlotte - Boston $89
Charlotte - Chicago (Midway) $89
Charlotte - Dallas/Ft. Worth $99
Charlotte - Denver $109
Charlotte - Ft. Lauderdale $79
Charlotte - Ft. Myers $79
Charlotte - Grand Bahama Island $89
Charlotte - Gulfport/Biloxi $79
Charlotte - Indianapolis $89
Charlotte - Las Vegas $129
Charlotte - Los Angeles $129
Charlotte - Miami $79
Charlotte - New Orleans $79
Charlotte - New York (LaGuardia) $89
Charlotte - Orlando $79
Charlotte - Pensacola/Gulf Coast $79
Charlotte - Pittsburgh $89
Charlotte - Sarasota/Bradenton $79
Charlotte - Savannah/Hilton Head $79
Charlotte - Tampa $79
Charlotte - Washington, D.C. (Dulles or Reagan) $89
Charlotte - West Palm Beach $79
Indianapolis - Atlanta $59
Indianapolis - Boston $89
Indianapolis - Baltimore/Washington (BWI) $89
Indianapolis - Dallas/Ft. Worth $99
Indianapolis - Ft. Lauderdale $79
Indianapolis - Grand Bahama Island $99
Indianapolis - Gulfport/Biloxi $79
Indianapolis - Las Vegas $119
Indianapolis - Los Angeles $119
Indianapolis - Miami $89
Indianapolis - Myrtle Beach $79
Indianapolis - New Orleans $79
Indianapolis - New York (LaGuardia and Newark) $99
Indianapolis - Newport News/Williamsburg $89
Indianapolis - Orlando $79
Indianapolis - Pensacola/Gulf Coast $79
Indianapolis - Tampa $79
Indianapolis - Washington, D.C. (Dulles or Reagan) $89
Indianapolis - West Palm Beach $79
[post="257038"][/post]​
Have you taken the time to post US Airways' prices to these markets? To be fair, post both sides of the story. I am willing to bet that they are not going to be that far off. That would be once Airtran (aka ValueJet) starts flying via CLT.

Twicebaked said:
Have you taken the time to post US Airways' prices to these markets? To be fair, post both sides of the story. I am willing to bet that they are not going to be that far off. That would be once Airtran (aka ValueJet) starts flying via CLT.
[post="257438"][/post]​

That was the whole point of the thread...that U would have to match these fares. I would guess that U was used to collecting a premium to some of these markets because they had the only non-stop service prior to Airtran.

jimntx said:
That was the whole point of the thread...that U would have to match these fares. I would guess that U was used to collecting a premium to some of these markets because they had the only non-stop service prior to Airtran.
[post="257440"][/post]​
and bleed we will....blood from fare wars and blood from oil.....how long can this go on???
round three coming up..... :huh:
look out

These cheap intro fares are great but by connecting in ATL to get anywhere you need the same class of service for all four legs. By now the cheapest seats are probably now picked clean or have a couple of seats. Airlines do this to get the phone ringing or to get the website hits. I've seen this before many years ago when new airlines enter a market, some how the cheapest fares are all ready gone and you have to try to explain this to someone that dosen't understand. You wind up giving them a higher fare by about 20-30 bucks or they go somewhere else. As for ATL, Delta has been doing nothing but sitting on the west hard stand here in CLT last week. ATL can get messed up on a clear day. On a bad day this just means the US,DL and FL will all be sitting on the west hardstand waiting to leave.

Mr. Airport may have it right, but more than he knows.

I just checked AirTran's website for flights from CLT to RSW and BOS for every day between 19APR and 26APR. It wasn't that the lowest fares were not available, according to the website there were no seats available to either destination for 7 straight days. I have my doubts that every seat on every flight sold that quickly.

Latest posts