Ffocus

Dilligas

Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
State of Perpetual Confusion
It seems the cockroach club has changed its name, but not its noble efforts to save jobs of the common man at U.

Here's a link:

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/08/23/Business...an_perks_.shtml

Here's just a few excerpts:

" Elite fliers such as Greg Johnston wanted to know how US Airways will decide who gets priority on first-class upgrades."

" Others recommended restoring perks US Airways has cut."

" US Airways executives listened to ideas, without committing one way or the other."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And an article on the ffocus predecessor, the cockroaches:

http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/article.php?key=952

here's one brief excerpt:

"The name, they say, was taken from a pejorative post on usairways.com. Within weeks, 500 cockroach-shaped lapel pins (complete with the US Airways logo) were made. Some 400 have been sold.

For the record, US Airways never implemented the changes.

"What we might have said or done, we meant no offense," Castelveter said. "Today, someone flying for $200 and someone flying at $2,000 get the same miles awarded into their account, and they all count toward tier status."

Did the bugs win? In a sense. But the changes were rescinded long before such mainstream media outlets as USA Today profiled the cockroach movement. The direct impact, then, of the few hundred cockroaches out there, has been limited to an after-the-fact gadfly role. "

Dilligas said:
the few hundred cockroaches out there, has been limited to an after-the-fact gadfly role. "[/b]
[post="174274"][/post]​

So... employees are not the only group alienated and marginalized by mgt.

Joe Brancatelli had this observation:

"I give US Airways credit for co-opting the cockroaches effectively, though. What started out as a grass-roots protest group has been rather dramatically transformed into a mouthpiece for the management of the moment. Or, perhaps more accurately, the supposed leaders of the cockroaches have been turned into another mouthpiece of the management of the moment. "

Seriously, why not just shut down?

It looks (from the outside) that it is broken. Even, if by a miracle, it continues, it looks like you are so angry & dysfunctional, that the first uptick – huge unrest to claw back the concessions and more.

So, liquidate. Almost all of you will get other jobs, quicker than you think. They may not pay as much, but you’ll probably be much happier and less stressed. Managing (say) a Subway store is in no way inferior to running a gate, and you don’t get shouted at nearly as much.

For the senior pilots, if you are stuck in a flying career, and don’t want to start again at the bottom of a US carrier, there are many airlines recruiting direct entry F/O or even Captains. (Cathay, Emirates, China Airlines) Moving abroad for a while will broaden your, and your families horizons.

Dilligas,

Your post is biased and one sided and you know it.

The primary goal of FFOCUS is to do what we can to help US Airways survive and grow. That itself is a multifaceted task, and involves many components. The bottom line is...It ain't just perks. We support the employees totally, and ALWAYS make management aware that you EXPERIENCED front liners are a major if not THE main reason we stay. I make that point whenever given the opportunity.

You have quoted other biased individuals in your post, and in some cases taken from outdated stories--Inside Flyer was from back in March of 2003, long before our organization had the size or scope it does today. You also took some of the SP Times story out of context. Of course we asked such questions--but they were a small part of the overall scope of issues covered. Do we want to protect our perks? Absolutely. Do we really think we can keep them all? Probably not. By the same token we were the ones who said we don't need the $29-$99 fares all the time, we want FAIR fares--and I still advocate that spread system wide this could result in an INCREASE in revenue.

We respect your frustration at the current situation and frankly wish there was more WE could do to help, but we are basically relegated to the sidelines and do what we can--WE FLY US AIRWAYS! And that is primarily due to you and the other front line folks. You all continue to do an amazing job especially considering the position you are currently in, and if nothing else, we sincerely appreciate that.

So please think about all of this before you decide to attack us again.

I wish you and all your fellow employees nothing but the best and sincerely hope this all works out...

Art at ISP said:
Dilligas,

Your post is biased and one sided and you know it.

My post offered comentary from published sources, and some links. What did you find biased about MY words?

You have quoted other biased individuals in your post, and in some cases taken from outdated stories--Inside Flyer was from back in March of 2003, long before our organization had the size or scope it does today. You also took some of the SP Times story out of context.

Please be fair and balanced and point out PB's dated outake from the same time period also, so you won't be accused of being biased and one sided. Of course, Bob neglected to post the questions from Elliot about the secrecy, and deflected Elliots question about what is "he" getting out of this. And, if you want to be unbiased, Art, haven't we all witnessed Bob's outbursts and vitriol directed at Elliot, Joe B, or anyone on this board that doesn't cowtow to his opinion?

I believe I provided the link to the entire story so the readers of this board could read the article and make up their own minds as to the tone of the meeting, and the agenda.

So please think about all of this before you decide to attack us again.

Asking questions, pointing out hypocrisy, and holding people accountable for their statements is not an attack. It's part of a dialog, a conversation, an interchange of ideas amongst people with diverse opinions. Men and women of integrity are not threatened when intellectually challenged. However, those that are insecure in their own abilities and intellect will often resort to emotional outbursts, "calling people out", and deflecting. Volume or frequency does not overcome content in my book.

I have been personally attacked on here numerous times by members of your "secret society" for daring to discuss viewpoints other than those expressed by the very small core of your group which crossposts to each other telling each other how noble and how wonderful your group is. Certain members of your group have made very patronizing statements to U employees that to the effect that they are doing it all to save the U employees' jobs... puh-leeeeeze.

The first act of a tyrant upon taking power is usually to control the flow of information and to limit dissent. I find it highly amusing, and quite hypocritical, that a staunch and vocal "libertarian", is the one spearheading the exclusivity and restricting access to the Roachfest report, and is incapable of handling any criticism or dissent.

Holding information as exclusive, or limiting access, makes them feel "special", then they will attempt to impress others as to how special they are, by bragging of "access to executives" or "special inside information", not available to the great unwashed masses. U did not require any cockroach to sign a non disclosure agreement, but a certain cockroach led the discussion to the decision to limit access. This has been a bone of contention internally in your own group, as you well know.

There was a similiar "project" about a year ago, again, promises were made, it was much hyped... it too was kept "secret", if indeed it was ever completed.

Are you, Art, intellectually honest enough to admit that members of your own "club" are unhappy at the restriction of information? Will you be "unbiased" enough to own up to the "control freak" problem? You and I both know that all is not well in Roachville tonight. Maybe you guys just lost some ffocus.

On another thread, I took the time to thoughtfully reply to your "attack" in a respectful manner. Of course, you made no effort to address any of the issues I raised.

I have always felt like you were a decent guy, Art, and I still do. But I'm disappointed that you aren't freethinking enough to take off the blinders, and look at things from any other perspective.

Different opinions and perspectives are not personal attacks. I am willing to listen with an open mind and consider other opinions. Have you read the posts denigrating my assumed employment, the attacks on my charecter, the personal slurs, the only slightly edited profane tirades? Were you intellectually honest enough and consistent in your unbiased manner to call those posters on the carpet?

I too wish you, the employees at U, and the U customers, only the best.

Dilligas,

I am freethinking enough to take the blinders off and look at other points of view. The only thing I will say here is that I think that your perception of our entire organization is being lumped together with your personal issues with one of our members, and that should not be.

I respect all sides of an issue, and look forward to a fair and even exchange of ideas.

As far as the information being available, there is not much which is private. We have offered to release the meeting notes to just about anyone who requests them, we just won't put it on a public board. It has nothing to do with control, rather it is using discretion.

I AM a decent guy, Dilligas, and do respect the situation you and your colleagues are in--let's just try to put personal issues here aside and work TOGETHER to save the place....OK?

Art at ISP said:
Dilligas,

I am freethinking enough to take the blinders off and look at other points of view. The only thing I will say here is that I think that your perception of our entire organization is being lumped together with your personal issues with one of our members, and that should not be.

I respect all sides of an issue, and look forward to a fair and even exchange of ideas.

As far as the information being available, there is not much which is private. We have offered to release the meeting notes to just about anyone who requests them, we just won't put it on a public board. It has nothing to do with control, rather it is using discretion.

I AM a decent guy, Dilligas, and do respect the situation you and your colleagues are in--let's just try to put personal issues here aside and work TOGETHER to save the place....OK?
[post="174412"][/post]​

Ok Ok Ok. Dude quit wailing on my b u t t. Lets call it even, I'll ignore all of the germane points you made and announce that we are colleagues. Ok buddy?

USAirUnited said:
There is a point where genuine concern becomes and obsession. I think FFOCUS has past the threshold.
[post="174430"][/post]​

They have not passed the threshold. There is nothing the matter with getting together and trying to save and improve something that you like. I would imagine that the members of FFOCUS are loyal customers who have enjoyed their interaction with US for the most part, the perks they receive, agents that they deal with as well as retaining the miles they have in the program. It's just too bad that they are dealing with a bunch of hardheads that don't listen to their most frequent travelers or employees. A blimp-sized ego is a terrible thing to have when the company your are managing is going down the drain FAST..............

My apologies to the members of FFOCUS ahead of time. They are feeding you the same bullsh*t they have fed the employees for years.

Just another of the many things that this company does that shows the employees AND CUSTOMERS, are far from the forefront on the minds of those in CCY. Unbelievable the madness that pretends to "manage" a corporation this size and scope. They are so far from reality, isolated in their own little world of greed and power. Its not the wages that bring this company down.

Dilligas said:
I have been personally attacked on here numerous times by members of your "secret society" for daring to discuss viewpoints other than those expressed by the very small core of your group which crossposts to each other telling each other how noble and how wonderful your group is. Certain members of your group have made very patronizing statements to U employees that to the effect that they are doing it all to save the U employees' jobs... puh-leeeeeze.

[post="176971"][/post]​

Dilligas -

I am sure Art and Bob would refer to me at best as a fair-weather friend of the old roaches so dont assume some strong tie between us when reading my post (you imply all we do is come to each other's aid).

The main reason that I became involved with Bob's boys is that my father has worked for this company for 42 years. The entire reason why I give my business to you bunch of losers is in honor of his many years of hard work that are now being flushed down the toilet by what I perceive to be inept management. Its this company and my father that put me through college. I feel an obligation to try to do right and give you my travel dollars. Some of you say "Full pay to the last day" and some of us think "Full loyalty to the last day". I'll give my money to Delta only when I absolutely have to.

Admittedly, when I see morons like yourself question my intentions for supporting you it just makes me sick. As if the employees need any more enemies!

Is it so hard to believe that there really are people out here that want you to succeed for reasons that are not selfish? Do you think I fly this airline because I like the food in first class?

I share many people's sadness that this will all soon be ending badly. Not because I will lose nonstop service to cities I fly to, but because many thousands of decent and honorable people will lose their jobs and livelihoods, and with it the economic potential to support their children and their families. They will lose the opportunities that were afforded to me, and for that I feel great sadness.

I'll get back off my soapbox now.