Fleet service agent interview question

La Li Lu Le Lo

Veteran
May 29, 2010
Happy Silver Anniversary Kev.!!!
Good example. Everyone gets used to everything once you get a routine worked out. LuLu's explanation is more like someone who couldn't handle the hard work at a fast pace in rough weather. Some folks are not strong enough for the airline workloads we face day/night in and day/night out. Just like not taking a break until a job is done and aircraft back in revenue service. You do what ya gotta do to get the job done, simple as that.
I think you misunderstood my point.

I am not talking about new hires getting their ass kicked on the ramp.

I am talking about career Fleet Service Clerks suffering health issues due to wear and tear over decades of service.

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
I did have a bad experience, I call it my whole career at American Airlines.

You are right of course but, just because I had a bad experience does not invalidate what I said. I did spend over a decade in Fleet Service you know. By the way as far as I know you were never in Fleet so what the hell would you know about it anyway? You work in the offices don' you?

Back in the 90's, I did policy/procedures for ramp and cabin, and spent more than enough time crawling in bellies and dumping lavs to appreciate what the job entails, and also spent a number of years working on baggage handling systems, so bagrooms and transfer points are hardly a mystery. I also worked at Home Depot loading bags of mulch and rock for 8 hours at a time, so I'm no stranger to having my back and extremities abused for a paycheck.

I don't get why anyone stays in that type of a job for more than 5 years before moving on. It's certainly not for lack of opportunity to go do other things.

Also, there is no "working" your way up in a UNION job eolsen. You know that. Merit does not matter, only your occupational seniority date. You can be 10 times more qualfied to be a crew cheif than the guy above you but if he has one more day of seniorty he will get the position. You want to climb the ladder you have to step out of the UNION.

Show me where I ever said to stay in that entry level union job?... No risk, no reward.

Stepping away from an entry level job hasn't ever hurt anyone I know personally. It's usually to their benefit because merit and individual capabilities do matter, and there's a potential to earn far more than what you'd top out as in the union.

If union seniority & pay/benefits is the only thing that matters to you, great. That's a personal choice. Just don't complain because you chose to limit yourself and your options.

La Li Lu Le Lo

Veteran
May 29, 2010
I don't get why anyone stays in that type of a job for more than 5 years before moving on. It's certainly not for lack of opportunity to go do other things.
We are in agreement.

Show me where I ever said to stay in that entry level union job?... No risk, no reward.
Oh I did not see you say that specifically but most people looking for a "job" hire into Fleet and spend their career there.

Stepping away from an entry level job hasn't ever hurt anyone I know personally. It's usually to their benefit because merit and individual capabilities do matter, and there's a potential to earn far more than what you'd top out as in the union.
Again MOST people are conditioned through fear to protect their occupational seniority at any cost.

I know you know that.

If union seniority & pay/benefits is the only thing that matters to you, great. That's a personal choice. Just don't complain because you chose to limit yourself and your options.
Again we are in total agreement.

Also again, you know as well as I do most people looking for a "job" stay in Fleet and the UNION will do their best to stomp out any ambition with non stop propaganda and fear campaigns. The last thing the UNION wants is for peers to see a coworker leave the tender embraces of the UNION and succeed.

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
1 more thing. During my 24 years (and counting) Ive done catering. Deicing. Bag reroutes. Crew chief. Ops/clp depending on how you interpet putting final nbrs in. Cleaning. I tried customer service but failed to get past 88% out of the required 90% ive done towing utility.