Flight Attendants' union files discrimination complaint against company

(It has taken me awhile to remember how sick leave worked at American.)

The sick policy at American for flight attendants is based on sick leave hours accrued. Each f/a accrues x number of hours each month, except for months where sick leave hours are used. The sick hours are used up in direct proportion to the trip missed. The minimum 3-day trip is worth 15 hours of flight pay. If a f/a calls in sick for that trip, it will use 15 hours of sick leave to cover that trip and protect "earnings." If the f/a has less than 15 hours of sick leave accrued--say 12 hours--then the f/a will get paid those 12 hours only.

The policy that is in dispute does not have anything to do with who gets paid and how much. It has to do with the number of times sick leave is used within a given time period--regardless of how long the sick period is. If I remember correctly, a f/a calling in sick creates an occurrence on his/her attendance record showing the begin (and end date) of the sick occurrence. That occurrence remains on the attendance record for 1 year past the day the f/a calls in to the computer system and "clears sick." IIRC, having more than 3 sick occurrences in one rolling 12-month period from the start of the first occurrence, will progress the f/a to First Written Warning. This is a formal letter sent to the f/a. Progression to Third Written Warning results in a proposed termination. Be aware that a continuous sick occurrence over a certain length may count as more than one occurrence. A binding arbitration termination hearing is held. The arbitrator's decision (to terminate or not) is binding on all parties involved.

The company is not as cold-hearted as it may seem. If a f/a has had a good attendance record with a minimum of sick calls (especially if it is NO sick calls) and the f/a has an extended occurrence, such as treatment for cancer, allowances are made. I know of one such case with a very senior flight attendant who never called in sick. She had over 1000 hours of sick leave accrued, I think. When she did get sick it was no problem. She had enough hours to cover several months off.

The dispute seems to be that the company has changed the "counting method" of the sick occurrences which progresses the f/a to termination faster.

(It has taken me awhile to remember how sick leave worked at American.)

The sick policy at American for flight attendants is based on sick leave hours accrued. Each f/a accrues x number of hours each month, except for months where sick leave hours are used. The sick hours are used up in direct proportion to the trip missed. The minimum 3-day trip is worth 15 hours of flight pay. If a f/a calls in sick for that trip, it will use 15 hours of sick leave to cover that trip and protect "earnings." If the f/a has less than 15 hours of sick leave accrued--say 12 hours--then the f/a will get paid those 12 hours only.

The policy that is in dispute does not have anything to do with who gets paid and how much. It has to do with the number of times sick leave is used within a given time period--regardless of how long the sick period is. If I remember correctly, a f/a calling in sick creates an occurrence on his/her attendance record showing the begin (and end date) of the sick occurrence. That occurrence remains on the attendance record for 1 year past the day the f/a calls in to the computer system and "clears sick." IIRC, having more than 3 sick occurrences in one rolling 12-month period from the start of the first occurrence, will progress the f/a to First Written Warning. This is a formal letter sent to the f/a. Progression to Third Written Warning results in a proposed termination. Be aware that a continuous sick occurrence over a certain length may count as more than one occurrence. A binding arbitration termination hearing is held. The arbitrator's decision (to terminate or not) is binding on all parties involved.

The company is not as cold-hearted as it may seem. If a f/a has had a good attendance record with a minimum of sick calls (especially if it is NO sick calls) and the f/a has an extended occurrence, such as treatment for cancer, allowances are made. I know of one such case with a very senior flight attendant who never called in sick. She had over 1000 hours of sick leave accrued, I think. When she did get sick it was no problem. She had enough hours to cover several months off.

The dispute seems to be that the company has changed the "counting method" of the sick occurrences which progresses the f/a to termination faster.
Maybe they should start showing up for work.

Sounds to me like the companies sick policy is more than fair.

They FA's UNION should be ashamed of themselves using unfounded accusations of discrimination to push their agenda. Who is their advisor Jussie Smollett?

If their goal was to lose the public's respect they succeeded.