Flight Crew Job Reductions

C

chipmunn

Pilot Furloughs - There are 1,356 pilots on furlough, with 406 pilot furloughs scheduled for January 7, and 65 additional pilot furloughs anticipated through April 2003. With the additional 60 pilot furloughs, the airline will have a total of 1,887 pilots laid off. The bottom seniority number after the furloughs will be 3,957.
US Airways Flight Attendant CBS Message (November 26) - Flight Attendant reductions will be accomplished by reducing staffing levels in the following manner:
A320 - Current staffing 4 & future staffing will be 3
A321 - Current staffing 5 & future staffing will be 4 (4+1 for Transcon & Caribbean)
A-330 - Transatlantic current staffing 11+1 & future staffing will be 10+1; February staffing 10 (First Class removed)
B757 - Current staffing 5 & future staffing will be 4 (4+1 for Transcon and Caribbean)
B767 Domestic - Current staffing 6+1 & future staffing 6
B767 Transatlantic - Current staffing 7+1 & future staffing 7
This will result in 810 additional flight attendant furloughs in the first quarter.

The December 2002 pilot bid closed and is based on 279 aircraft and about 4,500 pilots.

The January 2002 pilot bid closed and is based on 279 aircraft and 4,017 pilots. The company notified ALPA during the bid process that the company would reduce block hours to better match capacity with demand.

On November 26, US Airways told the labor leaders that it would agree to a new minimum fleet count of 279 aircraft, which has been negotiated with the aircraft lessors, if the unions agree to productivity changes. In addition, the company announced it would furlough approximately 60 more pilots and 800 flight attendants.

It appears with the fleet underutilization, 800 flight attendant furlough notice provided at the the labor leader meeting, flight attendant staffing being lowered to FAR minimums, and 60 additional pilot furloughs, the announced pilot/flight attendant layoffs due to productivity changes could have already been announced.

Chip

Chip:

They want MAJOR productivity rule changes for F/A's. Our contract has A LOT of flexibility for the company that they NEVER take advantage of as it is! So with rescheduling and MASSIVE reserve system changes..couple that with no more BID SHEET.....you get....

About 1500-2000 F/A's Furloughed in addition to the 810 in 01-03. Oh yeah...like I said....they don't want my money, they want my JOB.

USairBoy330:

In my opinion, AFA is in a "no-win" position due to the "me too" clause. I believe the 810 furloughs were announced to begin the layoff process due to potential productivity changes. If productivity changes occur, it would not surprise me to see the company reverse its decision to man flights at FAR minimums for flight attendants.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/2/2002 5:30:58 PM mlt wrote:

Chip,
There is one little thing you may be unaware of: After ALPA changed the duty rigs a few years ago and took full credit for the concessions, AFA learned a valuable lesson. This time around we have language stating that if there are changes we receive credit or cash.

You do realize f/a's subsidized your concessions 3 years ago? All f/a's work the equivalent of one extra month per year for less money. It's not happening this time!!!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]
The flight atttendants didn't subsidize anything. They've maintained some of the BEST work rules in the industry because of that "me too" clause in their contract. How often have the pilots had to settle for less in work rules because the company knew the extra expense they would incur by giving the same to the F/A's? I knew you wouldn't be able to answer that one. I fully expect that the crews will soon be split up, working different trips with different rigs, just like ALL of our competitors already do. That is, of course, if U doesn't liquidate next week!

Chip,
There is one little thing you may be unaware of: After ALPA changed the duty rigs a few years ago and took full credit for the concessions, AFA learned a valuable lesson. This time around we have language stating that if there are changes we receive credit or cash.

You do realize f/a's subsidized your concessions 3 years ago? All f/a's work the equivalent of one extra month per year for less money. It's not happening this time!!!!!