Flight Crews Need SIDA

The whole thing is soooo stupid. Flight crew are not allowed on the tarmac to drop off/retrieve bags yet in vegas you still get dropped off outside at your plane. You don't go through security and can walk around down there. WHAT the hell is the difference? I NEVER have been able to understand that. An airport is an airport is an airport. ALLLL governed by the FAA so why the "special" rules in certain places. OH YEAH...why all the inconsistency with TSA in different cities? IT is frustrating. Put your shoes in a tray, don't put your shoes in a tray. leave a space between bags, no mention of that at all. RETARDS at work with your tax money.

Bypass security altogether? So you're saying that all people should need is to get their hands on an id and uniform, and then they get carte blanche past security? Be careful what you wish for.

i forgot to add that the federal sida (or uas id, not familiar with that) would use some manner of biometrics for verification, not some gov't flunky reading every part of our id

The whole thing is soooo stupid. Flight crew are not allowed on the tarmac to drop off/retrieve bags yet in vegas you still get dropped off outside at your plane. You don't go through security and can walk around down there. WHAT the hell is the difference? I NEVER have been able to understand that. An airport is an airport is an airport. ALLLL governed by the FAA so why the "special" rules in certain places. OH YEAH...why all the inconsistency with TSA in different cities? IT is frustrating. Put your shoes in a tray, don't put your shoes in a tray. leave a space between bags, no mention of that at all. RETARDS at work with your tax money.
the problem is asside from the tsa inconsistencies is that each individual controlling authority at each airport (city, county, port authority, whoever) makes up whatever rules they want to
case in point,
pit, crews are not allowed to go from one plane to the next (a/c swap) across the ramp they all had to drag their stuff up the jetway down to the gate, to be checked yet again by a gate agent, to go down to their next plane
syr wasn't allowing crewmembers thru if they weren't in uniform or had a boarding pass (despite two companies having crew bases there past security)
forcing us to deal with dozens of different "mini himmlers and goebbels" and their differing ideas of what 'security' is

i forgot to add that the federal sida (or uas id, not familiar with that) would use some manner of biometrics for verification, not some gov't flunky reading every part of our id
For years, the CLT UAS used an iris scan to verify that he person matched the ID that was swipped (normal ID, BTW). After 911, the iris scan was replaced with a pin number entered on a keypad.

I've only been able to come up with one reason for eliminating the biometric verification (iris scan). Prior to 911 the UAS was voluntary - you had to take the time to get both iris' scanned to use it and security wasn't a hassle for crews. After 911, if was easier to make it available to all crewmembers by using something already encoded on the ID card.

Jim

<SNIP> Flight crew are not allowed on the tarmac to drop off/retrieve bags yet in vegas you still get dropped off outside at your plane. You don't go through security and can walk around down there. WHAT the hell is the difference?
It’s my understanding that in LAS there is a significant fee (license) to the transportation companies if they drop off/pick up people at the front curb.

It’s all about money.

See how important all these rules are?

Bypass security altogether? So you're saying that all people should need is to get their hands on an id and uniform, and then they get carte blanche past security? Be careful what you wish for.
Do you all remember we never had to go through security, thank a US Air employee getting on a PSA flight and shooting the pilots.

The whole thing is soooo stupid. Flight crew are not allowed on the tarmac to drop off/retrieve bags yet in vegas you still get dropped off outside at your plane. You don't go through security and can walk around down there. WHAT the hell is the difference?

For years, the CLT UAS used an iris scan to verify that he person matched the ID that was swipped (normal ID, BTW). After 911, the iris scan was replaced with a pin number entered on a keypad.

I've only been able to come up with one reason for eliminating the biometric verification (iris scan). Prior to 911 the UAS was voluntary - you had to take the time to get both iris' scanned to use it and security wasn't a hassle for crews. After 911, if was easier to make it available to all crewmembers by using something already encoded on the ID card.

SKY HIGH states: SECURITY and SECURITY PROCEDURES SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED IN AN OPEN FORUM.
LOOK what you people are discussing with the public!!!

THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE CLOSED, IMMEDIATELY.

Most security experts think secure identification should be made up of two parts: something you know, and something you have. The something you know should be a user specific password, and the something you have can be a biometric test (fingerprint, iris, etc), or a keyfob, swipeable ID, etc.

I've no answer to what the right level of security is.
Easy, Bob - just enough to prevent anything untoward from happening and not a bit more.

Now that I've given you the parameters, you can fill in the details..... :lol:

Jim

SKY HIGH states: SECURITY and SECURITY PROCEDURES SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED IN AN OPEN FORUM.
LOOK what you people are discussing with the public!!!

THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE CLOSED, IMMEDIATELY.
Please give me a break...the only thing to fear is fear it's self...that's what the "bad guys" want is for you to get paranoid...then they win...nothing discussed here is about security breach...it's about getting to work without a bunch of gov. BS

In my station, our (NW) crews go through security...Every other carrier bypasses it by going through their respective operations area, through the baggage tunnel, and on to their gates/aircraft.

Yeah it's called 6 weeks unpaid training...then you can be an FA and cut the line!

Hilarous. Before US did away with the low hour options, I often spent more time on a US plane than some of the F/As in a given month. Certainly more than some of the reserves (pre-rotating bucket).

Again--I've survived a background check that makes the google-search-on-steroids that the airlines and airports give crew look like an interview at Mickey D's. Why should I (or anyone else with the equal or higher level of clearance) have any less of a shot at bypassing the line?

And for whomever said: it's the office--for at least one day/week, the airport is my office.

<SNIP> Again--I've survived a background check that makes the google-search-on-steroids that the airlines and airports give crew look like an interview at Mickey D's. Why should I (or anyone else with the equal or higher level of clearance) have any less of a shot at bypassing the line?
Contact your elected representatives about pushing through the program to allow FFs the ability to do what you are talking about.

Hilarous. Before US did away with the low hour options, I often spent more time on a US plane than some of the F/As in a given month. Certainly more than some of the reserves (pre-rotating bucket).

Again--I've survived a background check that makes the google-search-on-steroids that the airlines and airports give crew look like an interview at Mickey D's. Why should I (or anyone else with the equal or higher level of clearance) have any less of a shot at bypassing the line?

And for whomever said: it's the office--for at least one day/week, the airport is my office.
and exactly how, praytell, do you know what manner of background check flight crews are subject too?
i recall that after 9/11 we had to provide even more data along with fingerprinting for the gov't to conduct a more intensive check
and you flying isn't your office, its a conveyance, a luxury, not a requirement
so why don't you try to get on the 'trusted flyer' program if you want to cut the line at all
one of the few benefits left in this job is cutting the line so we can get to work
stop trying to play yourself up as being important because of your claimed security clearance

Back