Food For Thought: Lower Pay Or No Job?

Light Years said:
Allow me.

2334_l.jpg

[post="185600"][/post]​
Lithgt Years, that is the FUNNIEST THING I have seen in a long, long time.....
You GO GIRLFRIEND....... :up: :up: :up:

Hard to find jobs= Off shoring+MILLIONS of illegal alians working for slave wages. California has been overwhelmed by both, and it has spead accross the US like wild fire. I want to knock some sense into those that love to use the "they do jobs that Americans won't" excuse! Good luck to you.

planejane said:
I don't wish substandard wages - you obviously can't read. However, a high school grad stock clerk, making 25/hr? An aircraft cleaner topping off at 20? Come on, get real. U needs to get their costs in line with the worth of the job, not just because a union contract says that is what they will be paid. There are many more examples but get the point. It's logical, not a brain teaser. And you don't have to be in finance to figure out some of U's problems. Pilots, F/A, mechanics should be paid appropriately. They are schooled, licensed and must have recurrent training to know their job. Those that rode the coat tails have cost some professions their true worth.

Go ahead --- kill the messenger. I know it makes most of you have organisms.
[post="185583"][/post]​

Utility makes $17.47 an hour, $36,000 a year. Get the figures right, and a stock clerk makes $19.54, no one makes $25 anymore

If wages are the problem, maybe U should be looking at the 30 plus VPs that make a subtantial amount per year. Maybe the company should have implemented the work rules that could have saved millions long before they came back to the employees a third time. Where I work, we just had two managers hired to replace the one that resigned. Hello!!!!! What kind of money is that saving this company? Management just got bonuses this summer and I'm working 60 hours a week to make up for wage cuts and higher benefits.

Some people think they are qualified to recite someone's worth. I believe in reward. In other words, if a company is thriving then the employees who have worked hard to keep it alive should be rewarded. I may not even have a problem with giving if a company loses. Hell I have already done it twice. But I will be damned if a company expects me to go into bankruptcy to save it after already giving twice. Especially when said company's mangement can't give the same amount. They walk away with the food that could have been put in my children's mouths and I wish them well and put more money in their pockets? Give me a break.

The Poor Get Poorer and the Rich get Richer at the expense of the Poor!!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody wants to rule the world. I am amazed the the number of outsiders (meaning those with no income ties to US Airways) feeling so compelled to tell everyone what to do. Gee, let the people living the F'ing situation deal with it man. You don't like, we don't care.

EyeInTheSky said:
Everybody wants to rule the world. I am amazed the the number of outsiders (meaning those with no income ties to US Airways) feeling so compelled to tell everyone what to do. Gee, let the people living the F'ing situation deal with it man. You don't like, we don't care.
[post="185724"][/post]​
Well said. I don't work for US (I'm at NW), but I couldn't agree more. You don't need my endorsement, Eye, but thanks for fighting the good fight, and staying true to yourself. Good luck to all of you.

Jamae1,

Thank you for the honest comments, it is a very tough world out there. Much tougher than many can imagine, I hope that the negative people will get off their bottom now and go look for that job they think is out there for them...most will quickly sober!

Good luck in your search!

JAMAKE1 said:
Hello Everyone:

I just wanted to share my story. I am a former USAir employee from many years ago and most recently I was working as a flight attendant for United. Last September I opted to take a voluntary furlough for four years so that I could continue my education. Unfortunately, my unemployment benefits in California ran out after the federal government denied the state funds for continued benefits. When I took my leave from United, I think I sort of romanticized about how effortless it would be to find another job. When the semester ended, I embarked on finding full time work over the summer. I was applying mostly for restaurant jobs hoping to make fast cash and thought that my 12 years experience of being a flight attendant would qualify me to be a waiter in a fine-dining restaurant. I have to tell you, it hasn't been easy finding work. I even expanded my options to being a food runner or a busser and it has still been difficult finding employment. I am competing along side former dot-comer's all vying for ONE position. I have worked for four airlines in my career and the difference between then and now is that at the time, the airlines were hiring hundreds, if not thousands of people. Hence, hundreds or thousands of positions. In this economy, everyone is vying for the same ONE position. While I do not regret my choices of having left United, I have become very humbled by the marketplace realities. I have exhausted my savings and have come perilously close to having to dip into my 401K.

Having said that, I just want you all to consider the consequences of USAirways going into Chapter 7 liquidation. For you flight attendants, is it less painful to have to take a 23% pay cut, while maintaining the ability to have up to 15 days off per month and some schedule flexibility or is it better to risk it all and then hope that you can land an equivelant paying job, with only 8 days off per month? In this economy, there are very highly educated people working in restaurants or Starbucks to get by. I am not trying to preach and tell you how you should think. I fully undertand wanting to stand by one's principles and convictions in order to put a stop to the further erosion of this profession. I just want to point, that there will be consequences either way. By sharing my experience over the past year, hopefully it can assist you in making fully informed and conscious decision as to whether to suck it up and take the bad dose of medicine or to exercise your right to self help.

As an employee of a legacy carrier also in bankruptcy, I can understand your collective rage at the way this industry has transformed. I can also empathize with your collective betrayal toward senior management. It sucks for everybody who had grown accustomed to a certain standard of living and lifestyle. As bad as it will get, which will be the lesser of two evils. Food for thought...
[post="185319"][/post]​

Well said Bob!

PineyBob said:
That's the kind of attitude that got US where it is. You sir just personally insulted a customer who has (as recently as this very day) spoke to yet another US Manager regarding treatment of employees and the desire to see US survive.

CCY doesn't pay you! I do along with millions of others. I am a customer and thankfully I seldom see your attitude on the plane.

ONE poison attitude can overwhelm the 10 good attitudes in a department and create a hostile work environment far easier than Mr. Glass ever could.
[post="185742"][/post]​