Foreign Maintenance

KEN ;

Well, it seems as if Checking it out has reappeared. I sure missed your blind faith in an inept industrial union. The twu is the best union to help destroy the craft of the AMT. List for me what the twu has done FOR our profession. I have asked you this question on another BB and you never answered me. But then again, being a blind twu official I can understand your hesitation in trying to answer this question. Hurry up though. The twu will be gone by the end of THIS year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the other site would not censor the posts and email you before the post is posted than I may have responded.

The site is known to change wording and have many alias from the webmaster and secretaries of amfa locals to make it appear their is more Interest.

Thanks for the compliment about missing me! I do not think the TWU is going anyplace this year! They will be representing us at AA.

TWU SOLIDARITY!

Checking it Out said:
If the other site would not censor the posts and email you before the post is posted than I may have responded.

The site is known to change wording and have many alias from the webmaster and secretaries of amfa locals to make it appear their is more Interest.

Thanks for the compliment about missing me! I do not think the TWU is going anyplace this year! They will be representing us at AA.

CIO,

As I read through your postings on this thread I notice that you never addresss the topic matter.

Does it concern you at all that the TWU is telling lies in documented and distributed "informer" newsletter about the fact that the Overseas Heavy Maintenance to Asia and Hong Kong actually commenced under the IAM agreement and wasn't a result of the 38% Outsource Limit?

Would you agree that a 38% Outsource Limit is better than language with NO LIMIT?

You actually never address many issues, like what has the TWU done for the Mechanic and Related Craft or Class at American Airlines in the last 20 Years? If we extract the "locked glass bulletin boards" to post all of the lies, I don't see any gains made at all.

You have no concern over your own union telling lies, but act as those it would be a crime if someone else committed such an act? Why is that CIO?

Burchette.jpg

MORE TWO-FACED NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING AGAINST AMFA...

In a recent (Last Week) TWU Local 514 Distribution called "Just The Facts", the TWU attacks AMFA based on length of contract negotiations at carriers ACA, Mesaba, Horizon and ATA. Note the highlighted area of the scanned document.

TWU_Justfacts.jpg

The TWU CAMPAIGNS IN NEGATIVE TONE because AMFA neopgtiations at Regional Carriers, has exceeded amendable date by the following time frame according to the distributed material.

ACA = 14 months
Mesaba = 12 months
Horizon = 8 months
ATA = 1 Year

BUT WAIT, WHAT's THIS?

A MAJOR CARRIER IS HAVING A NEGOTIATIONS ISSUE ALSO? WHO IS THE UNION?

THE TWU REPRESENTS THE SOUTHWEST FLIGHT ATTENDANTS AND THEY HAVE BEEN IN NEOGOTIATIONS FOR 14 MONTHS and NOBODY KNOWS HOW LNG THEY WILL CONTINUE.

Southwest flight attendants protest over contract negotiations

HARTFORD, Conn.(AP) — Southwest Airlines flight attendants demonstrated Thursday at Bradley International Airport seeking better compensation.

The flight attendants claim the airline doesn't pay them for the time they spend cleaning the aircraft before and after flights.

Cleaning time amounts to 23 hours per month, nearly 300 hours per year that goes unpaid, said Portia Reddick, a Southwest flight attendant since 1989 and a spokeswoman for the Transport Workers Union of America local 556, which represents 7,300 Southwest flight attendants.

``Southwest has done well — knock on wood — and has continued to be profitable," said Reddick. ``Our margin has gone up. It's a solid company and we just want to be able to share in the profitability."

The two sides have been in contract negotiations for 14 months. Neither Reddick nor Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Angela Vargo know how long they will continue.

``Informational picketing is all part of the (negotiations) process," said Vargo. ``We believe we have the best flight attendants and we are seeking something that will satisfy both the attendants and Southwest."

Flight attendants held similar demonstrations Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport and Las Vegas-McCarran International Airport.

Verified Source Link:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/0...swa-protest.htm

IT APPEARS THE TWU SHOULD SWEEP THE DIRT FROM IT'S OWN FRONT PORCH, BEFORE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE BUILD-UP ON ANTOHER'S!

THE TRUTH IS TRUTH, THE TWISTED "FACTS" WILL BE EXPOSED!

RV4,
Thanks for reminding us that AMFA is doing the same things today as it was in 1999.

Quote from your article posted. . .
"AMFA states the issue is performance, but most of it's literature is devoted to personal attacks on TWU international and local officers". Does that ring a bell??

;)

twuer said:
RV4,
Thanks for reminding us that AMFA is doing the same things today as it was in 1999.

Quote from your article posted. . .
"AMFA states the issue is performance, but most of it's literature is devoted to personal attacks on TWU international and local officers". Does that ring a bell??

;)

You are quite WELCOME!

I'VE GOT YOUR "P E R F O R M A N C E" RIGHT HERE PAL,

-17.5 % Reduction In Base Pay

- 5 Lost Paid Vacation Days

- 5 Lost Paid Holidays

- 7 Paid Sick Days Per Year

- 50% Pay on First 2 (two) Sick Days per Occurrance

- Loss of 70 Hours in Injury on Duty Pay

- Loss of Skill/License Premium for RIF'd Mechanics in shops

- Over 3500 TWU Stripped of Job Security Protection and Laid-Off to the Street

- Loss of Pilot's "me too" Clause that will result in Severe Increases in Payroll Deduction for Medical Insurance

A Work Force of the Largest Domestic Carrier earning 6th in Pay and Benefits.

THERE YOU GO, AND NOT ONE PERSONAL ATTACK ON AN INTERNATIONAL OR LOCAL OFFICER...

"JUST THE FACTS"

JUST THE FACTS

The TWU REPRESENTED, Southwest Flight Attendants have ached, agonized, ailed, been affected by, been convulsed, been handicapped, been impaired, been racked, been wounded, had to brave, complained about, have deteriorated over, drooped about, endured, experienced, fell off, felt wretched, have gone through, grieved, suffered, languished, pained over, sickened, smarted over, under went, and have writhed over the FACT that they have WORKED WITHOUT A TWU CONTRACT SINCE JUNE of 2002!

twuer said:
Hey Dave,
You forgot to mention that they are the highest paid in the industry. :oops:
Who is? The SWA Flight attendants or the mechanics? At the COPE Convention they(SWA F/As) told me they were one of the lowest, but then again that was before the concessions. Do you have any figures?

By the way I believe that UPS has the highest paid mechanics.

From news clip;
"Given the airline's success, flight attendants say they deserve more. Starting pay for a flight attendant is about $14,000, and the median salary is about $24,000, according to the Transport Workers Union Local 556. Southwest flight attendant salaries are 20 percent to 30 percent lower than those at competing airlines, the union said.

Southwest disputes that, saying a starting flight attendant can earn $22,000 a year, comparable to what an American Airlines flight attendant makes. The company says flight attendants are paid per trip, which covers the time spent on ground tasks.

"You can't support a family on our pay," said Kevin Onstead, a flight attendant based in Oakland, Calif. "While the airline is posting record profits, many of us are working a second job just to get by."

In addition, flight attendants say they are not paid for work they are required to perform on the ground, such as cleaning cabins and helping passengers.

The average Southwest flight attendant spends up to 23 hours a month cleaning planes after flights, the union said. They're the only flight attendants with a major airline who are not paid for work between flights."

twuer said:
Hey Dave,
Among their complaints are lack of pension and retirement insurance plans, and what they call a requirement unique among major carriers: the attendants clean their plane between flights without pay.

The Transport Workers Union Local 556, which represents the bargaining unit, estimates that the typical Southwest flight attendant works nearly 300 hours a year without compensation. Christine Buggy, a Chicago-based flight attendant, said she worked nearly six hours for free during a three-day shift this week.

ONLY THE TWU WOULD HAVE A CONTRACT THAT ALLOWS 300 HOURS A YEAR WITHOUT PAY!

I BET THEY CALL IT INDUSTRY LEADING ALSO?
:oops:

TOPIC REMINDER:

About half of its outsourced maintenance work is done in Asia, Northwest has indicated.

Its Asian maintenance contractors include ST Aviation Services Co. (SASCO), a subsidiary of Singapore Technologies Aerospace. SASCO has done airframe heavy maintenance work for at least eight years on Northwest's DC-10 and 747 fleets. In Hong Kong, Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. (HAECO) has performed heavy maintenance on NWA 747s for more than four years.

NOTE:

8 YEARS in ASIA and more than 4 YEARS in HONG KONG.

The AMFA/NWA Contract was signed on MAY 11, 2001...
That is only 3 Years, 3 Months ago, it appears the OVERSEAS MAINTENANCE was actually done under the AFL-CIO IAM Contract!

RV4 said:
twuer said:
Hey Dave,
Among their complaints are lack of pension and retirement insurance plans, and what they call a requirement unique among major carriers: the attendants clean their plane between flights without pay.

The Transport Workers Union Local 556, which represents the bargaining unit, estimates that the typical Southwest flight attendant works nearly 300 hours a year without compensation. Christine Buggy, a Chicago-based flight attendant, said she worked nearly six hours for free during a three-day shift this week.

ONLY THE TWU WOULD HAVE A CONTRACT THAT ALLOWS 300 HOURS A YEAR WITHOUT PAY! :oops:
This was the deal when the FAs signed on at WN. It has always been this way.

If the FAs persist in pursuing this at WN, their next contract should simply re-define the term "trip" so as to encompass the 15 minutes they spend picking up the plane between flights.

Problem solved.

Pension plan? Their stock has helped make ME rich - and I don't even work there. They want a pension - buy more LUV.

I know FAs (furloughed from other airlines) who would crawl thru broken glass to work at WN and would cheerfully clean their planes.

In a few years I suspect there will be plenty of mechanics formerly employed at other airlines willing to do the same to have a chance to fix WN's planes.

And it won't matter which union represents them.

FWAAA said:
RV4 said:
twuer said:
Hey Dave,

ONLY THE TWU WOULD HAVE A CONTRACT THAT ALLOWS 300 HOURS A YEAR WITHOUT PAY! :oops:
This was the deal when the FAs signed on at WN. It has always been this way.

If the FAs persist in pursuing this at WN, their next contract should simply re-define the term "trip" so as to encompass the 15 minutes they spend picking up the plane between flights.

Problem solved.

Pension plan? Their stock has helped make ME rich - and I don't even work there. They want a pension - buy more LUV.

I know FAs (furloughed from other airlines) who would crawl thru broken glass to work at WN and would cheerfully clean their planes.

In a few years I suspect there will be plenty of mechanics formerly employed at other airlines willing to do the same to have a chance to fix WN's planes.

And it won't matter which union represents them.
:huh: What do'es all this got to do with "foreign Mantenance"??????

Checking it Out said:
Just the Facts

AMFA Skills-The new-fangled t-shirt design boast the Airlines which AMFA represent, The following is documented facts on how they are representing their membership.

Northwest- Amfa won Representation rights at NWA in June of 2000. AMFA negotiated language allowing 38% outsourcing of Labor Hours. Resulting in 50% of NW Mechanics and Related Classifications being Laid off and The Mechanic and Related employees must have a 1990 seniority date to have a job according to the current Seniority List. AMFA at NWA Leads the Industry with the highest Percentage of Mechanics and Related on Layoff and Holds the record of the highest percentage of work being performed overseas.

United- As United asked for concessions from the IAM represented mechanics, AMFA ran an organizing campaign on the property. Mechanics at United were asked to take a 7% pay cut and allowed more Outsourcing. The AMFA Organizers pleaded with mechanics not to accept the offer. As the offer was turned down by the membership, United entered into bankruptcy and started Sec 11 13c proceedings. Because the law is very clear that the union and the company must attempt to negotiate an agreement and absent an agreement the company can ask the judge to do away with the contract in its entirety. The IAM membership voted at the final hour to accept an overall 13% cut in wages, including license premium and allow outsourcing of two United bases losing 6000 members jobs. It was only then that AMFA won representation of the disgruntled IAM membership. It was AMFA, thanks to their intervention that has allowed United to eventually outsource all of the Heavy Maintenance. “6000 plus Members Jobs and countingâ€￾

Alaska- The AMFA won Representation of Alaska in 1999. Since that time Alaska has performed more Maintenance with outside contractors than any other carrier, topping the chart at 70 Percent. AMFA also Introduced Interest based Arbitration to the Alaska contract. During the last Contract discussions AMFA and Alaska went to binding Arbitration which Alaska won Hands down and now the Mechanics have dropped to #7 in Pay. Highest % of Farm-outs in the Industry.

Southwest- The IBT won the highest pay in the Industry for the Southwest Mechanics. AMFA took over Representation of the Members in 2003. During the following months, Cookouts were conducted for funds to hold Arbitrations and AMFA at SWA holds the honor of having the least amount of Participation amongst the members in the Industry.

Atlantic Coast Airlines- ACA Members have endured the last 14 months without a Contract.

Mesaba- AMFA Mesaba members have gone 12 months with no Contract.

Horizon- AMFA Members are currently without a contract going on 8 months.

ATA- AMFA members have been without a contract for over a year.

AMFA Constitution Quote; “During the times of Negotiations commencing at the acceptance of proposals, or after and ending at the date of signing, any Local may choose to Institute an assessment up to 0.5 (50%) the base hourly rate per month of the affected members in Negotiations.â€￾ Several AMFA Locals currently have special assessments!
Stay Informed! Get the Facts! Ask the Questions!

TWU SOLIDARITY! THE Best Choice for the AMT!
Fact: The TWU has no cap at all on ousourcing A/c maintenance.

Larry Costanza said:
Fact: The TWU has no cap at all on ousourcing A/c maintenance.
Now, let's be fair here. There is a limit:

Here it is from the TWU/AA Contract:

ARTICLE 1 ? RECOGNITION AND SCOPE
(4)…

It is the intention of the Company to insure that the predominant volume of work under Cross Service, Base Maintenance and Line Maintenance Service Agreements be performed by the Company employees. It is further understood, in no event, that the volume of work be less than equal to the work performed by other carriers for American Airlines under Cross Service, Base Maintenance and Line Maintenance Service Agreements. The ratio of mechanic work performed in terms of manhours will be reflected quarterly, in writing, to the Union.

Farmout limit = 49.9% Now THAT'S INDUSTRY LEADING!

Notice that it says "other carriers". Does that mean other Airlines can do 49.9%
and other NON carriers can do... say... 25% or more? Just what does it mean? Typical AA/TWU language: clear as mud. :lol:

How 'bout that twu solidarity? :eek:

Checking it Out said:
I Rest My Case! Present volume of work is very Important and the grievence procedure is beyond reproach! The Members are the ones who benifit not the International!
Also from the infamous TWU Scope Clause:

It is understood that nothing in this Article guarantees the MAINTENANCE of the present VOLUME of work.

Now there's some scope language for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: