Former US Res centers

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Back in the day, US Air (before the "Airways") had quite a few res centers, inherited from the pre PI merger days.

IIRC: SYR, UCA, BNA, WAS, DAY, IND, INT, RNO, SAN, PIT.

HP: RNO. PHX

Starting in the early 90s, they started to close. Does anyone remember the dates of the closures? What is the headcount now, vs back then?

You Forgot DCA/RO which started 3/29/82..... It was located in Reston VA.... I was there! LOL Please don't forget us!
DCA/was the second Res center for Piedmont. It was the second Piedmont res facility way before ....SYR... DAY.... MCO.....

Oh BTW It WAS the best! I worked the 3:30pm to midnite shift, cuz I was a baby back then!
and I quote what I had to say....

" Piedmont Airlines Reservations, This is " my name" how may I help you????

There were 500 new hires that day!

Reactions: 1 person
You Forgot DCA/RO which started 3/29/82..... It was located in Reston VA.... I was there! LOL Please don't forget us!
DCA/was before SYR... DAY.... MCO.....

Oh BTW It WAS the best! I worked the 3:30pm to midnite shift, cuz I was a baby back then!
and I quote what I had to say....

" Piedmont Airlines Reservations, This is " my name" how may I help you????

There were 500 new hires that day!

That why I listed "WAS" ( the ctiy code, not the airport code.)

No one from DCA knows what WAS is???????? PlEASE????? it is known as DCA/RO

You also forgot MCO res

IIRC: SYR, UCA, BNA, WAS, DAY, IND, INT, RNO, SAN, PIT.

HP: RNO. PHX

Starting in the early 90s, they started to close. Does anyone remember the dates of the closures? What is the headcount now, vs back then?
WAS closed in 1991, PIT and IND in 2005, BNA in 1997, as was UCA...thats about all I can remember, not sure of my accuracy

I worked in IND res for about 10 years. We got our lay off notices right after 9-11 and we were to close on 11-1-01. Something happened and they had problems with the other centers and we stayed open until 1-31-02. DAY closed right before us though in November or December of 01.

Damn that was a ridicules amount of rez centers, did the old US every do anything efficiently?
As stated the in OP, it was a legacy of the AL/PS/PI mergers (yes, it was AL until '89). Each carrier had its res offices that were carried over after the merger. PSA had RNO and SAN call centers. PI had still had UCA (from Empire) along with INT, BNA, DAY. USAir had IND, PIT, and Reston, VA. I don't remember who had SYR. PI, I think.

So, it was never by design. Now, it's just INT from the US side along with RNO and PHX from HP. I would not be surprised if some of the people at the RNO center were originally furloughed US agents who were then hired by AWA.

Not to get off on a tangent, but there was also a great deal of hub overlap/redundancy in the early '90s. DAY/IND/CLE/CMH all served more or less the markets. I can remember a hangar road show back then when Randy Malin (ugh) was asked by an employee if there would be consolidation / rationalization of those cities; he went on for some time about why it's a good idea to have planes in outstations all over the Midwest connecting people via those airports to the same final destinations. Didn't make much sense to me --- or anyone else listening. Sure enough, it was not long before the the cutbacks began.

BWI/PHL overlapped as well.

Back to topic of the call centers. IIRC, RNO bit the dust maybe around '97. (Long after the RNO station was closed) I think SAN lasted until after 9/11 but could be wrong.

PI had still had UCA (from Empire) USAir had IND, PIT, and Reston, VA. I don't remember who had SYR. PI, I think.

It depends how you look at it. Mohawk Airlines had a Res center at the outskirts of downtown SYR in the 1960s. Allegeny had it in the 1970s. Although US Air was a dominant force in SYR, the airport res center was owned by Piedmont. The last statement is what I found out from workers, the rest is my knowledge.

Looking back, one has to wonder why you had 2 major res centers within 40 miles of each other(UCA SYR)? Snowbelts are boring, I guess.

i was hired by Allegheny Airlines on 2/5/73 and started work in syr at Mony Plaza...they closed after sept 11 and i took a transfer to mco res started oct 2001.....went home for thanksgiving break (mco-syr-mco) 2002 and called the 800 number to learn mco res closing jan 2003....took a transfer to pit...worked in pit till july 25 2005 then it closed...i remember we worked on the 5th floor and there were bullit holes in the windows....workers very angry....a ton of seniority there......took the furlough and the bridge to retirement....went to comm college got hired by Carnegie Mellon University psychology professor march 2006.....after 6months came home to a message on phone...."we are done hiring off the street if you want to come to winston res you can"......i packed up and went...after all those years i did not want to leave on a furlough.....worked in the Chairmans Pref dept and my last day was 8/8/8.....i got my certificate of retirement....age 55.....worked as a temp at Bayer Corp and now in the research dept at insurance company........with my resume of 35 yrs at the same company even at my age i get any job i go for ...i can pick and choose......thanks Allegheny Airlines/USAir/USAirways.........loved just about every minute of my career.....i had a great ride!!!!!!