Fuel Prices easing off..good for AA

EX_AA_HDQ

Oct 18, 2008
This is my first post, but don't kid yourselves...

I've been a reader of this board for 6+ years...

I worked for AA at HDQ for 8 years, and then moved out of the crossfire a few months ago...

A few observations...the first having to do with the title of the post...

I'm happy to see that oil is dropping...wasn't B/E LF at $87/bbl or somesuch a few months ago?

That's good news for y'all...

A few more...I don't understand the sense of entitlement by many here....much, I guess, is due to misunderstanding/misinformation...

I'm going to say this, and hope it is heard loud and clear...American, contrary to what many of you believe, is a GREAT company to work for...

I left voluntarily, yet semi-involuntarily...which is to say I had family obligations that were more important than staying in Dallas...and trust me...you don't know what you take for granted until you leave...

AA's benefits are very good...you'll have a hard time matching them elsewhere...

I'll post some more here later...I was a bit skeptical of posting while working for the company...but I'm free and clear now...

I know many of you don't think so...but DO NOT chase Arpey out...I met with him a few times for work purposes and we chatted...the guy is a great person...you'll regret losing him...

And no, I'm not a propagandist or management shill...as I said, I don't work there anymore...

I will say this...labor...particularly Lloyd and his crew...better get their head on straight...or you'll send this company the way of TWA, Braniff, People Express, etc.

Don't do it...

Many things about everyone's job suck...but at the end of the day, you work for American Airlines...I wore that badge with pride...and no, I got no bonuses or anything...

I work near an airport now, and it brings a tear to my eye watching those Silver Jets take off...

Thanks to all of you...union and non-union, for your efforts...

Oil could hit 35 and AA will sing the same old song and dance routine.
More concessions are necessry and the PUP payouts are a must

YAWN YAWN

Good for you!!! Nice to hear someone grateful rather than the deprived whiners who inhabit these BBs.

Oh it here it comes.....RAR RAH AMERICAN AIRLINES....
HISS HISS UNION MEMBERS......
Get your shovels and boots ready boys and girls....it's gonna get deep..

I have news for you EX AA....

WE ALL WORE OUR BADGES PROUDLY UNTIL THE GREEDY AAROGANT MANAGEMENT DECIDED TO LAUNCH CLASS WARFARE...

The lowly workers of AA needed to give back concessions that took 40 years to get and get constantly reminded our need to share the pain.

But the executives just received their latest PUP installment as AA management REFUSES to bargain in good faith unless even MORE concessions are granted..

RAH RAH SIS COOM BAH,,,,,,RIGHT EX AA HDQ?????????

Oh it here it comes.....RAR RAH AMERICAN AIRLINES....
HISS HISS UNION MEMBERS......
Get your shovels and boots ready boys and girls....it's gonna get deep..

I have news for you EX AA....

WE ALL WORE OUR BADGES PROUDLY UNTIL THE GREEDY AAROGANT MANAGEMENT DECIDED TO LAUNCH CLASS WARFARE...

The lowly workers of AA needed to give back concessions that took 40 years to get and get constantly reminded our need to share the pain.

But the executives just received their latest PUP installment as AA management REFUSES to bargain in good faith unless even MORE concessions are granted..

RAH RAH SIS COOM BAH,,,,,,RIGHT EX AA HDQ?????????

Unlike most posters, I do wear my badge proudly, and am glad to work for AA.
They have given me and my family most of what we have.(am a union member to)

People in the union can not understand the retention bonus's, I for one agree. When you have qualified people in lower ranks to take up the slack. The old saying take it or leave should come into play, in this situation.

Being a union member I see both sides, we have gone five years without any raise that will offset thepace of inflation, for that I do get a little iritated, about the bonus's.

But then again have a job today, tomorrow who know's. Some on this board are hardcore union members, which is their right, do I agree, no. But then again it is their right. So to say we will go the way of TWA, or Braniff is far fetched.

I am glad you enjoyed your time at AA, I still do, but moral is at an all time low (see above), and I hope it gets better. And we will see what the next contract brings.

But it is really unrealistic for those who want "restore and more".

This is my first post, but don't kid yourselves...

... snip

Thanks to all of you...union and non-union, for your efforts...

Another executive apologist sounds off telling the proles how "things really are".

Hey ex AA hdq:

We all would like to be proud of the company we work for and it's great that you were. At this moment though theres just too many instances of deception by AA upper Mgmt to feel that way when you're in the trenches. If they wanted our respect (which I don't think they care) then there would be more honesty and disclosure. There is no pull together win together, it's still on Jetnet though. We all did our share in 03 and now on a union basis they can't even deal with us in seriousness? On the TWU side all we've received were more concessionary offers. After giving up as much as we did why wouldn't you expect that to get a man angry as hell. Thats the company at this moment that I see. Take take take and nothing in return! :angry:

Not too unrealistic for the executives, eh dawg?

That is exactly what I posted. But I can get over it. Some here can not and that is for you and them to deal with. In big companies such as American, the upper peep's will always get theirs.

I just do the job I do day in and day out knowing that I make a difference, not just at work, but my personal life also.

I have my way of thinking, you have yours, but I still stick to this saying that I have posted before. American did not come to you and ask you for a job you came to American. Also one little thing that is added, that I will get blasted for I know because I have heard it before. But the signature at the bottom of your check is not TWU, but American Airlines.

So blast away peeps, I am a grown man.

I guess I should have anticipated the types of responses I got...

Same old song and dance about how "We got screwed"...

Guess what? I did too...and guess what? I left and moved on...

Either sack up and do the same, or live with the fact that you're married to the company...

No one makes anyone stay...

Do you know how stupid you look by blaming the company while saying you can't go anywhere else?

You're admitting they've got you by the balls, and you won't/can't do anything about it, yet you still complain...That = no leverage...

How stupid is that?

And why do union folk think seniority absolves them of having to augment their skills in return for more benefits from the company?

You think saying "I've been here 15 years" gets it done? What more are you doing for the company than you did 10 years ago to deserve better benefits/contract?

And for you folks that think us HDQ folks do squat all day, I'd invite you to spend a day with us...while I don't work there anymore, I gurantee I can set it up...

Do you know how many nights I worked until 10pm or later...as a SALARY employee...i.e. no OT?

Get over your sense of entitlement...

That is exactly what I posted. But I can get over it. Some here can not and that is for you and them to deal with. In big companies such as American, the upper peep's will always get theirs.

I just do the job I do day in and day out knowing that I make a difference, not just at work, but my personal life also.

I have my way of thinking, you have yours, but I still stick to this saying that I have posted before. American did not come to you and ask you for a job you came to American. Also one little thing that is added, that I will get blasted for I know because I have heard it before. But the signature at the bottom of your check is not TWU, but American Airlines.

So blast away peeps, I am a grown man.

And all they will get from me is my job and my signature in a logbook releasing the aircraft for airworthiness flight. Nothing more..

AArogant management had destroyed the morale of many an employee below the angelic level of upper management.

So I, as many of these employees will stay on the job with our poor morale and let the passenger s get so disgusted that eventually OURPAY and Company will wake up....

And you are correct that AA did not come to me and ask me for a job..
What they did was threaten us with bankruptcy and along with our company union, rammed concessions up our anal canals and the only ones who been rewarded regardless of the economic climate have been God's chosen people at the top.

I guess I should have anticipated the types of responses I got...

Same old song and dance about how "We got screwed"...

Guess what? I did too...and guess what? I left and moved on...

Either sack up and do the same, or live with the fact that you're married to the company...

No one makes anyone stay...

Do you know how stupid you look by blaming the company while saying you can't go anywhere else?

You're admitting they've got you by the balls, and you won't/can't do anything about it, yet you still complain...That = no leverage...

How stupid is that?

And why do union folk think seniority absolves them of having to augment their skills in return for more benefits from the company?

You think saying "I've been here 15 years" gets it done? What more are you doing for the company than you did 10 years ago to deserve better benefits/contract?

And for you folks that think us HDQ folks do squat all day, I'd invite you to spend a day with us...while I don't work there anymore, I gurantee I can set it up...

Do you know how many nights I worked until 10pm or later...as a SALARY employee...i.e. no OT?

Get over your sense of entitlement...

My hat's off to you for leaving AA. Obviously you're not a company boot licker staying with AA hoping for that next promotion..

As for sense of entitlement, that is not what's at issue here..

This company, in collusion with our company union, forced concessions in our anal canals and the only ones getting rewarded annually are the execs with there PUPs..

So it is my decision to stay on the job with bad morale and ensure the aircraft are safe to fly even if it means grounding jets for airworthiness discrepancies...

I see no reason to jump this sinking ship for another...Corporate America has created this class warfare against the "lowly" workers who don't have MBA's and wear suits to work and blame them for high labor costs while exempting the people at the top. I'll remind you of Carty's affection for corporate greed and more recently the boys behind the collapse in the country's financial institutions.

Eventually it will get to the point where passengers permanently leave AA and Arpey and his henchmen are forced to leave due to their inability to manage.

I see no reason to jump this sinking ship for another...Corporate America has created this class warfare against the "lowly" workers who don't have MBA's and wear suits to work and blame them for high labor costs while exempting the people at the top. I'll remind you of Carty's affection for corporate greed and more recently the boys behind the collapse in the country's financial institutions.

This makes sense...and thanks for the civil response even while disagreeing...I still say, based on my personal interactions with Arpey, that he's a good guy with a tough job and tough decisions to make...I think the bonus (which wasn't really a bonus, but part of their compensation) situation embarrassed, him...but he couldn't forego it and look like he was giving it up just because the union complained...that would be a slippery slope...I wasn't there for Crandall, so I can't comment on him, but I was never a fan of Carty...he struck me as a bit of an elitist...had to have his driver bring him to work every day...HA!

Arpey drives himself in his 4-Runner...there were more than few occasions where he drove home right behind me...

As for the "class warfare", don't think that doesn't extend to management...I didn't have an MBA...trust me, the guys they brought in that DID have MBAs were royalty and we were "just another employee" many times...

In general, I enjoyed my time at AA...I wish all of the luck in the world to you folks still there...from the most junior baggage handler all the way up to Arpey...