Working At AA......

Not really. While the sunk costs involved are analogous, there are variable costs associated with nonrev travel, mainly fuel burn.

AA carried about 3.4M nonrevs last year, and 80% of them flew in coach at little or no charge. Nonrev charges haven't changed in a few years, so I seriously doubt they're reflective of the current cost of fuel.

Assuming about a $10 increase in incremental fuel burned per nonrev, and that's about $34M in expense that was never covered by surcharges.

Personally, I'd rather see the people flying pay a fair price for the fuel offset than to have someone try to find yet another $34M in cost savings or concessions.

Good point, and your reasoning is sound. There is no doubt that a nonrev uses fuel. How much or how little, I can't guess. But I would not be averse to paying for the fuel I burned. Good idea.

However, not all non revs are no charge, and their fuel consumption costs are mitigated or even balanced by the NR charges in business or first class. On a three class route, the service charge for first class can be quite high, surely well in excess of the fuel costs for the added weight. Heck, I flew first class on a two class airplane, but was charged the higher first class charge for a three class airplane because, as I was told, it was a three class route.

So, yes, the dumpster analogy is not 100% accurate, but is is close, and is, you must admit, quite colorful. And, hey, a little overstatement never hurt anyone. :)

My parents are coming down for Thanksgiving. Went to the AA ticket counter to purchase them a 20% positive space ticket. Mom wont fly stand-by especially during the holidays.
AA wants 280 round trip per person.
Jet blue wants 199 per person. Needles to say I saved them 160 dollars.
;)

There's plenty of covered parking at HDQ now that 20% of the building was laid off at one point or another during the past five years, so it's all yours. My job was posted because I finally decided that working outside the Fortune 500 would provide a better quality of life for me and my family.

It will be a sacrifice, but I'm sure I will get used to the idea of salaries and bonuses not being second guessed by anyone and everyone with media credentials, where the rank and file are free to make up their own minds as opposed to being lead like lambs to the slaughter by narrow-minded union leaders, and where the most important decision I will have to make before 0900 is which pair of shorts to wear to work.

Well, Eric, If you are going to stay in DFW and the airline industry. The only outfit I know of that lets you wear shorts to work is WN. Congrat's if that is who you are going to work for. Heck, Congrat's on finding a job that may make you more money and have a bit more job security.

Here I go. I had my face to face on Tuesday and was offered a position with AA :up: .I must say that I was a bit schoked to see how many peolpe AA is bringing in. In my group there was about 30 and I belive that maybe 15 of us got hired. I have medical sometime this week and more paperwork later. they hope to have us training by jul 17 and on the job training two weeks after that. While I was in there I thought to myself how hard it must be in the street, as far as work goes because I saw about five middle age guys with bussines suites for the face to face and some other people that can't even spell American Airlines. They have had thissessions for about 3 months straight now and will countinue to do so for about another month, so it looks like they will be briging in about 100+ bodies for FSC. I've heard that there was some transfer to DFW but I never imagened that many people would be needed. I have to say that I'm truly excited about coming on board with AA and can't wait to tell by Boss to STICK IT..... B)

I have to say that I'm truly excited about coming on board with AA and can't wait to tell by Boss to STICK IT..... B)

Welcome.

Now, are you planning to tell your old boss to stick it, or your new boss??? ;)

The one who flew out had to go with a different carrier as AA was not one of the options and AA dose not fly to where she went. Other than that, it was all AA.
He made the analogy of eating out of the "dumpster" which I equate with being worthless. I was merely pointing out that I took a family of % to Europe for pennies on the dallar. Hardly worthless IMO.
The only reason that anyone got on is because they could not sell those seats to anyone else, if someone else had walked up at the last minute then your family would have went home. You could even be seated already and then told to get off. Sure you paid pennies on the dollar but you paid pennies on the dollar for what was for the airline at the time you recieved it worthless. It was either let you go or have it go empty, or in other words, to the dumpster.

Come on Now.. The Old Boss :down:

==========================================================

REPUS,
In a month,you'll be "wanting" to tell AA to stick it.
By 6 months you WILL be telling them to "stick it", or at the very least REFUSING to end your lunch break, at the 00:25 point, to go outside to park a flt that is waiting to be parked, while he FLASHES it's lights at the ready room, and "beeps" his lil' horn.

As I mentioned to you when you first started this post.................KEEP EXACT, and PRECISE "RECORDS"(about EVERYTHING) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

==========================================================

REPUS,
In a month,you'll be "wanting" to tell AA to stick it.
By 6 months you WILL be telling them to "stick it", or at the very least REFUSING to end your lunch break, at the 00:25 point, to go outside to park a flt that is waiting to be parked, while he FLASHES it's lights at the ready room, and "beeps" his lil' horn.

As I mentioned to you when you first started this post.................KEEP EXACT, and PRECISE "RECORDS"(about EVERYTHING) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Thanx for the advice, but I hope that won't be the case.... Not that i'm better than anyone but that's not ME B)

The only reason that anyone got on is because they could not sell those seats to anyone else, if someone else had walked up at the last minute then your family would have went home. You could even be seated already and then told to get off. Sure you paid pennies on the dollar but you paid pennies on the dollar for what was for the airline at the time you recieved it worthless. It was either let you go or have it go empty, or in other words, to the dumpster.

If it makes you feel good to have a negative attitude about damn near every thing, knock your self out. One of the nice things about being in the US is that it allows you the right to be pissed off as much as you want. You would probebly hurt your self if you had a possitive, happy thought.

I get to visit my folks when ever I choose to and if I go in coach it does not coat me a dime, if I go F it will cost me $15. If you can't see that as being a good thing, just stay home .. it's one more seat for me.

So here's an update on my future at AA. I was offered a positio and a week before I was schedule for training I was told that everyhing was to be put on hold due to a HEAD COUNT. I have no idea what that is and I'm hoping that someone here would be able to shed some light on this. I had already told my old employeer that i would be gone by the end of this week. :blink:

So here's an update on my future at AA. I was offered a positio and a week before I was schedule for training I was told that everyhing was to be put on hold due to a HEAD COUNT. I have no idea what that is and I'm hoping that someone here would be able to shed some light on this. I had already told my old employeer that i would be gone by the end of this week. :blink:

Ahhh...! As the world turns.
Wellcome to our world,..... well maybe.
You did not tell the old boss where to go,did you?

My bosses boss called me up and asked me stay and that he would put together an offer to stay but what I really want to do is go to AA. unfortennaly for me there are not to many MIA employees here that are able to give me and inside of whats going on...

Ahhh...! As the world turns.
Wellcome to our world,..... well maybe.
You did not tell the old boss where to go,did you?

My bosses boss called me up and asked me stay and that he would put together an offer to stay but what I really want to do is go to AA. unfortennaly for me there are not to many MIA employees here that are able to give me and inside of whats going on...

What is going on is a very unstable work environment. I'm not sure if you've realized this, but "Head Count" is the number of workers in a given group. This number goes up or down depending on a number of factors, but it is primarily schedule driven. When you start you'll be at the bottom of this list and will probably be there for awhile. That means depending upon what AA does in MIA, you might be furlowed and rehired again several times over the next couple of years.