Working At AA......

REPUS

Apr 27, 2006
Greetings to all,

For sometime know American has been hiring at MIA. Two months ago I had the chance to start on the LINE, But I put it off. Just a few days ago I received an email asking me if I was still interested and to call for a face to face interview. I did so today and have to go in on Tuesday of next week. I know a few people that have gone over to work for AA and have had no regrets.
They have all told me that I will problaby get the job due to my background experience. I currently work at MIA with another company(not an Airline). So I know I'm in. I'm here to get some feedback from the members on things that I should be on the look out for and on the dues and don'ts of working for AA. I have to say that I'm really looking forward to working for AA. This will be a bit of a cut on my salary but I'm thinking about the future..... B)

REPUS

Run, dont walk, and get as far away from AA as possible. The airline jobs were fun at one time, but now it is a cut thoat business. I would not wish this on my worst emeny. Also just read some of the feedback on this board. That should tell you something.
Good luck, but stay away from the airlines.

I know about airlines and the drama and the B.S. The company I work for now services diff. airlines from cabin to ramp. I can handle that......

REPUS

Run, dont walk, and get as far away from AA as possible. The airline jobs were fun at one time, but now it is a cut thoat business. I would not wish this on my worst emeny. Also just read some of the feedback on this board. That should tell you something.
Good luck, but stay away from the airlines.

First of all, ignore the malcontents and trust those you know who have already crossed over.

Despite the constant bitc#ing and moaning of a few loudmouths here, this is still a great company to work for and will be around for a long time to come.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of people willing to let you pick up their hours, which may more than offset any differences in salary.

I love my job with AA. But, I don't spend any time upset about how it "used to be." It's changed just since I came to work here in 2000. And, I got laid off for 17 months.

But, the job is what it is today, and it pays what it pays today. There's no point in worrying about what it used to be like because the days of 24 hour layovers in New York City, and 2 leg days are gone.

Make the most of it and enjoy. If you find you don't enjoy it, go do something else. Life is way too short to work at a job that makes you unhappy.

With out turning this thread about politics, what can be said about the Union..???

are there any MIA employees here that can give me an inside to the workforce at MIA?

AA has always been a great company to work for, but like any massive corporation is subject to the changing environment in which it must operate. I grew up on AA since my father did 50 years with them. My brother is an FSC in AUS. I still love my part-time job on the ramp at SJC after nineteen years despite having a very sucessful law practice.

As for the job itself, at SJC for FSCs we have zero attrition. No one leaves the company from here unless they retire or have married into massive Silicon Valley stock options. But all around us, with the non-union "outsourced" contract ramp workers, the turnover is so high we almost never see the same people driving transfers week after week. Only next-store at WN is there any consistency, but that is another story. Yes, we hear constant grumbling, but the employment situation in SJC is the farthest from a "revolving door" situation I have ever seen.

Greetings to all,

For sometime know American has been hiring at MIA. Two months ago I had the chance to start on the LINE, But I put it off. Just a few days ago I received an email asking me if I was still interested and to call for a face to face interview. I did so today and have to go in on Tuesday of next week. I know a few people that have gone over to work for AA and have had no regrets.
They have all told me that I will problaby get the job due to my background experience. I currently work at MIA with another company(not an Airline). So I know I'm in. I'm here to get some feedback from the members on things that I should be on the look out for and on the dues and don'ts of working for AA. I have to say that I'm really looking forward to working for AA. This will be a bit of a cut on my salary but I'm thinking about the future..... B)
<_< ---- Son! If you already have your A&P tickets, my advice to you is, if offered, go for it! Get a year or two heavy aircraft experience under your belt, and put out your resume! Preferably FedEx, or UPS! But keep in mind, that the way aa/TWU is going, this job, especially for new hires,is a dead end job! "Future," there is no future here! :shock: Don't push it more than five years! From someone who's been there!

I love my job with AA. But, I don't spend any time upset about how it "used to be." It's changed just since I came to work here in 2000. And, I got laid off for 17 months.

But, the job is what it is today, and it pays what it pays today. There's no point in worrying about what it used to be like because the days of 24 hour layovers in New York City, and 2 leg days are gone.

Make the most of it and enjoy. If you find you don't enjoy it, go do something else. Life is way too short to work at a job that makes you unhappy.
<_< ----- jimntx, Good advice! But as you will learn, that part about "If you find you don't enjoy it, do something else." is a luxury for those who are young! If you find yourself in that position later in life, you may not have that option! :shock:

<_< ----- jimntx, Good advice! But as you will learn, that part about "If you find you don't enjoy it, do something else." is a luxury for those who are young! If you find yourself in that position later in life, you may not have that option! :shock:

Wrong! I'm 61, and I'm currently on my 5th career. And, all of them have been wildly different. (When you were an English Lit major in college, you can't be too "sot" in your ways. :lol: )

Wrong! I'm 61, and I'm currently on my 5th career. And, all of them have been wildly different. (When you were an English Lit major in college, you can't be too "sot" in your ways. :lol: )
<_< Well I'll be damned! Another Gray Beard! :p
Sorry! I only majored in Southeast Asia jungle war fair! ;)

<_< Well I'll be damned! Another Gray Beard! :p
Sorry! I only majored in Southeast Asia jungle war fair! ;)
Got another ol' fart here. 15+ yrs as field tech (burn out).I turned to to Fleet Svc and a no pressure carreer of 20+ yrs. Now I have to babysit some of the whiners and slugs.
As for advice to REPUS. Hey! go for it. Its not as good as it use to be, but like I tell some of the whiners " Take a day off and write the prettiest resume' you can think of, then go shop yourself. See if you can find another job that pays @ $20/hr and has flight benies." I know about the heat, heavy loads and the BS, but you know what? I would do it again bec along the way I met some great people and been to 47 countries and 49 of the 50 [missing ND]. Worked some extra and ot hrs and put 2 kids through college have a paid off house and in about 14 mos looking foward to retirement.

REPUS,

(Oddly)(so far), every previous poster has said "something" that is TRUE about working at AA. (Good and Bad).
And THAT makes sense, because working at AA, IS a "mixed bag" !!!

(Since you asked), some VERY IMPORTANT points;

The Transport Workers Union, is A COMPANY UNION, THEY ARE "ONE IN THE SAME" !!..........."BEWARE"

AA (virtually) invented the concept of "Divide and Conquer", meaning that they use it AGAINST their own workforce.(Full time vs. Part time) Because you'll be in a very big station, you'll have extra oppertunities that an "out station" won't have as many of.

There is (almost) NO difference between being a Full time or Part time employee. (AA ABSOLUTELY...L O V E S..Part time employees) !!

(example);

If your fortunate to hold a 30 hr (P/T) shift, you'll only need to add 10 more hours,(which can be done by working another persons hours), to be eligible for full time sick , and vacation benefits. (You'll rise up much more quickly in the seniority ranks, (as P/T), which will give you better choices for days off, and better vacation week choices)

If your young, or middle age'd, and in both cases, "built like the HULK(or Wonder Woman"), young/strong/in shape people CAN get sick, SO, when offered benefits, either by the company, or union, On an "OPEN ENROLLMENT" basis, (which means not having to PROVE your medical condition (at the initial time), TAKE IT/SIGN UP FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, the 2 MOST important are, LTD(long term disability), and LTC(long term care).
To purchase these coverages on the open market, without "OPEN ENROLLMENT", can be risky because of the "fine print" of the Insurance company's
(ESPECIALLY LTC..long term care)

(Saving the best for last)
Get to know a "CRACKER JACK" labor/AND Workers Compensation Lawyer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Remember the union is USELESS)
As AA will tell you to do(even though THEY DON'T MEAN IT), ALWAYS report, and fill out, AND KEEP COPIES of, ANY INJURY that you may incur(NO matter how slight) !!

Workers Comp is about the ONLY area that AA has'nt been able to manipulate, to their advantage, so follow the W/C rules "to the letter" !!

Trust me, in that friggin' florida heat, you WILL Injure you back/knees/shoulder(s)/neck, sooner or later, loading those "narrow body knee burners"
(nothing WORSE than loading/unloading a 757/737, when the "magic carpet" is BROKE.

Good luck, cause you WILL need it !!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

ps,

The VERY SECOND that you clear probation, MAKE/KEEP "COPIES" of EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never go into a supervisors office WITHOUT a union representative...NEVER !!!!!!!!!!

ALWAYS be "punctual" !!!!!

REPUS,

SNIP

There is (almost) NO difference between being a Full time or Part time employee. (AA ABSOLUTELY...L O V E S..Part time employees) !!

SNIP

Yes, there is a difference. From what I hear, in smaller stations the PT'ers most of the time are the ones doing all the work, while the FT'ers, btw who are more senior, get to sit on their ass. I guess since the line/ramp planner is a FT'er, it's a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine". :lol: .

Yes, there is a difference. From what I hear, in smaller stations the PT'ers most of the time are the ones doing all the work, while the FT'ers, btw who are more senior, get to sit on their ass. I guess since the line/ramp planner is a FT'er, it's a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine". :lol: .

=========================================================

There is a BIG difference between "What YOU heard", and what "I" saw(small stations).

Besides, MIA is a very very large station(FYI) :shock:

NH/BB's