Fuel Prices easing off..good for AA

This makes sense...and thanks for the civil response even while disagreeing...I still say, based on my personal interactions with Arpey, that he's a good guy with a tough job and tough decisions to make...I think the bonus (which wasn't really a bonus, but part of their compensation) situation embarrassed, him...but he couldn't forego it and look like he was giving it up just because the union complained...that would be a slippery slope...I wasn't there for Crandall, so I can't comment on him, but I was never a fan of Carty...he struck me as a bit of an elitist...had to have his driver bring him to work every day...HA!

Arpey drives himself in his 4-Runner...there were more than few occasions where he drove home right behind me...

As for the "class warfare", don't think that doesn't extend to management...I didn't have an MBA...trust me, the guys they brought in that DID have MBAs were royalty and we were "just another employee" many times...

In general, I enjoyed my time at AA...I wish all of the luck in the world to you folks still there...from the most junior baggage handler all the way up to Arpey...

And I agree with our statement. He should have taken the bonus, because why? To show how much of a man he is. That does not make a man. A man(CEO) is person who looks at the company and says yeah, we did this , not the top 44. But we the 88,000 people that make this company work day in and day out. Now I have never had a problem with bonus's, but give everyone a piece not just the guy's on top. Please, I am a guy that looks both ways.

If I were to be CEO, I would take the employees first. not the AMT'S, not the FSC's, and not the agent's andso on, but the whole group. As one.... Look , the manager's manage, but never do the everyday work as an employee, on the bottom.. I stated before, the better people to run a company are the one's at the bottom, because they do have a better veiw.

If I were to be CEO, I would take the employees first. not the AMT'S, not the FSC's, and not the agent's andso on, but the whole group. As one.... Look , the manager's manage, but never do the everyday work as an employee, on the bottom.. I stated before, the better people to run a company are the one's at the bottom, because they do have a better veiw.

See, you assume management folks have no experience with "the bottom"...except many of the folks I worked with moved up from "the bottom"...they know the airline and how it runs...

I didn't come from "the bottom" at American...but my airline experience was extensive, most of it from the operational side...I've thrown bags...I've supervised fleet service...while I don't have an A&P, I worked closely with MX guys and have a working knowledge of it...

Not all management folks are pencil-pushing bean counters...many of us know full well how this thing works...and have actually done it...

Which is what drives me crazy about some of the contibutors here...they seem to think all of the folks at HDQ are just a bunch of number crunchers...we've been there, done that, folks...some of us fixed airplanes...many of us have worked an oversold flight...we've loaded the freakin' "international baggage"...

I got my degree while working, and moved into management...I'll bet I worked at hard as American as anyone here...and I didn't get OT for it...and I had no bargaining unit to protect me...I decided to move on...

But guess what folks? No one told me to get that degree...no one forced me to stay anywhere...and while I understand Hopeful's comment previously about jumping from one sinking ship to another...I say that anyone who got complacent and didn't have the foresight to improve themselves to keep moving up, has no one to blame but themselves...my own father did that when working for the government, and they cut his position...

Why does anyone think anyone owes them anything? It's showbusiness, not showfriends...

American as anyone here...and I didn't get OT for it...and I had no bargaining unit to protect
Why does anyone think anyone owes them anything? It's showbusiness, not showfriends...

EX, the issue here is that AA forced employees to swallow a very bitter pill. That happened and we cannot change the past. But now we have union in contract negotiations and AA wants even more and they are not bargaining in good faith. We hear how the company have "contracts" with the execs and are entitled to PUP pay. Guess what, EX? We have contracts also and until AA bargains in good faith and reverses the "us against them" course, morale will continue on the downward spiral.

As for your comment about no one being forced to stay at AA, that is an old company response they like to use when concessions were given and nothing has been restored.

Even though ALL levels of employees took paycuts, only the executives have gotten back what was taken, be it PUPS or traditional salary increases.

AA likes to take advantage that the workforce is getting older and they know many of us are reluctant to leave

Ex AA HDQ....

You and and your management cohorts L1011Ret (thankfully retired), F-WAAH! and eolesen need to get a room and dance the kumbaya amidst a blizzard of PUP bucks. YGTBSM!

TFC
Hoping next year's PUP payout is sufficient to retain our "top talent!"

They have given me and my family most of what we have.(am a union member to)

But it is really unrealistic for those who want "restore and more".

They haven't "given" you anything, you earned it.

You come here and toil everyday, away from your family and take your life in your hands every time you go out on the ramp to do whatever it is you do. This thought that they gave you something is what is absurd about allot of labor in America and around the globe, that we are slaves to our masters and will take what they decide to "give" us.

I urge you to reconsider. You and those before you that were willing to sacrifice earned the benefits and pay we receive to this day. If one wants to do better for themselves and their family they should be prepared to fight for it as the greedy execs will not "give" it to you. Think about the old timers, would they have agreed to pay for the substandard medical we are offered? Especially when compared to the medical benefits the execs get. Would they have agreed to anyone taking vacation they already earned? Would they have agreed to a 23% cut in pay? I assure you, they would not have taken what they were "given", no matter what idle threats the greedy company execs made. So when you think restore and more is unrealistic? You have already lost. In the end you are just another one of the huddled masses that will take what they "give" you.

I hope all of us that work for this company don't fall into this category, otherwise we are doomed.

To: Ex AA HDQ
It looks as if you where a very good victim of AA brain washing that AA does to its people a t HDQ. I highly recomend you get yourself to a quality Doctor as soon as posible and have him remove the computer chip that AA implanted in your head, and then send it right back before AA charges you for this chip. It also brings a tear to my eye when ever i see a silver airplane. It reminds me of my poor career decision

I'm sure he/she still works for AA. Just another Arpey puppet, trying to make the compAAny look good.

The OP posted an opinion. He has the right to do that, you know. If you don't agree with that opinion either ignore it or post your own opinion about the topic, not about the member who posted it.

The personal comments are edging close to the cornfield. Please do not do this. A word to the wise...

Yet falling oil prices have quickly emerged as the key swing factor in determining whether these carriers will generate or burn cash in 2009 and 2010. How big? Goldman Sachs estimates that the entire industry saves $11 billion when crude oil falls from $110 a barrel to $75 a barrel. AMR , parent company of American Airlines, is set to save more than $1.5 billion in fuel in 2009, compared to forecasts this summer, according to management. That should more than offset the likely revenue weakness the carrier can expect from the current credit crisis.

Hhers the 64000 dollar question-Start hedging now or wait for further drop in price?Cmon boys earn those stock bonusus! :eek:

All that savings may be diluted due to labor strife with its three unions who are waiting to share in the gain.
50,000 shares of performance pay for everyone
:up:

Yet falling oil prices have quickly emerged as the key swing factor in determining whether these carriers will generate or burn cash in 2009 and 2010. How big? Goldman Sachs estimates that the entire industry saves $11 billion when crude oil falls from $110 a barrel to $75 a barrel. AMR , parent company of American Airlines, is set to save more than $1.5 billion in fuel in 2009, compared to forecasts this summer, according to management. That should more than offset the likely revenue weakness the carrier can expect from the current credit crisis.

Falling oil prices are good for the industry and good for us as well. What people often forget is that oil has been volatile lately. This is why both AA and TWU are smart to go for a short duration contract. If oil keep dropping and stays down, we can renegotiate in a few years. If oil goes up and stays up, the company won't be locked into a contract for years that it can't afford at $100+ oil.

For those who would say I don't give a damn about what's good for 'the company', think again: you could be furloughed if a next round is necessary.

Falling oil prices are good for the industry and good for us as well. What people often forget is that oil has been volatile lately. This is why both AA and TWU are smart to go for a short duration contract. If oil keep dropping and stays down, we can renegotiate in a few years. If oil goes up and stays up, the company won't be locked into a contract for years that it can't afford at $100+ oil.

For those who would say I don't give a damn about what's good for 'the company', think again: you could be furloughed if a next round is necessary.
There is some truth to what you say. OPEC is set to meet soon to decide how and when to cut production. This could certainly send oil prices in the wrong direction.

There is some truth to what you say. OPEC is set to meet soon to decide how and when to cut production. This could certainly send oil prices in the wrong direction.

The greedy OPEC decision to cut output is not working as of this morning.

If the consumer keeps up with their less and less demand for oil, OPEC is the one that's negatively impacted.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081024/oil_prices.html

BooHoo for Chavez and Ahmadinejad....