Gallet Helmets In Ca

jfk

Sep 23, 2003
Can anyone tell me who the dealer in BC is who sells CFG Gallet Helmets. Web page? Phone number?

Any one use them , and rreally like it? would like to get the bucket off my head (sph5) and upgrade. is it worth the coin?

JFK

jfk:
Have you thought about the new ALPHA 600, or the Gentex HGU-84/P?
Lots better sound (passive) attenuation than the gallet from what I hear!

And to all the rest who wear buckets (or not for that matter) do you guys use earplugs in addition?
:hide:

Put an ANR kit in my SPF5 last winter. Really clear coms! Gotta wear earplugs w/pax 'cuz the com volume's gotta be cranked up for them. When the battery poops out the ambient noise and loss of coms clarity is quite annoying!

Cheers,

dm

Dimit, please answer a question that comes up everytime we talk about ANR.

With the ANR switched on, can you hear the cockpit audio-warning horns, or are they cancelled too ????
What do you know about the technicalities of this problem??

ya I still wear a helmet and ear plugs to boot. I started in the business as a gear and now I'm flying. Those 6 month medicals get tougher and tougher. They keep changing the tunes on those hearing tests (ha ha)
sob B)

I got my lid about 3 years ago and have been problem free till now. The plug broke and that's about it. The visors work well and the internal(if you opt for the 250 version ) is pretty low profile. All in all a good helmet, it's light for longlining and probably could be quieter but so far it hasn't bugged me. Maybe if you fly a 500 you might want somethin quieter. If you can afford what it costs without worrying about it, go for it. I know nothing about the other models so no opinion on those.
My two bits :mellow:

Hi Over-talk,

Got no probs hearing cockpit/engine sounds. Last tour I heard the 'click' of an eager young fella in the back releasing his harness, BEFORE the skids touched down. Paused in the hover to abuse him thoroughly!

Hi Frenchwrench,

Thanks for the heads up on the batt source!

Cheers,

Dm

I know of a few pilots in the east who recently bought Gallet helmets and have problems with the sound system. The Quebec dealer says it sends the helmet to David Clark to be fitted with the communication set but it seems the helmets get the communication set from a local company, which does not do a very good job....so I have heard........
Apparently the situation is better on the west coast.

cheers

Currently, I know of two gallet helmets that are back in France getting some attenuation put in them. FAR too noisy for a brand new helmet. I ride an Alpha and I think it is great. I would like the new one but I also want a new Ducati as well..... :rolleyes:
Dreams are free.
Thinking about bikes.....when are ARAI gonna make a helmet for us. I have asked but received no reply.

A couple of guys I know wear the CGF Gallet helmets and found them quite noisy but very light and comfortable especially for VR work.:D I just got a David Clark ENC systm installed in my Alpha. Due to the nature of the work that I do, the last thing I need is a heavy helmet. This system is wired into the exsisting plumming and the battery box is attached to the back of the helmet similar to a NVG power pack. I thought I would pay a weight penalty after 8hrs of VR, but it's not even noticable. It's unbelievable how quite a helicopter can be . Don't have to wear ear plugs either, all of our aircraft have dual mixer boards for crew and passengers. I highly recommend GEL ear seals to furthuer improve the seal to your head, it also makes your batteries last longer because the ENC system has to work that much less. The only flaw with the system is the life of the battery, however an avionics company in CYYC has found me a 24v converter that will plug directly into the helicopter. After all these years of losing my hearing I highly recommend any ANR or ENC system regardless of the helmet manufacturer. You only have one set of ears, protect them. :up: In regards to aural warning systems, no problem. In fact with the system installed, it makes you very aware that there is an impending emergency. B)

I had an SPH5 with ANR kit and found it worthless for VR work. I found that looking down and turning my head all the time broke the ear cup seal causing all sorts of feedback noise (I had Gel earphone seals as well). A colleague of mine had the same problem with an Alpha ANR system.
Sold the SPH5 and bought a CGF and am very happy with it. By far the lightest and most comfortable helmet I have used. I wear earplugs all the time so the noise is not really an issue.
CGF gets a :up: from me.

:shock: Didn't mean to piss in your corn flakes there garry m, was just saying that the Enc system is working for me. 8hrs a day hauling drills and skiers in the 212 and haven't had a problem yet. It's Pretty sad when you spend all that money on a skid lid and still have to wear ear plugs. :D :p

Well if you want lower profile, but the same noise atenuation, go with the HGU-84! It was designed for the US Navy, and comes with either visors on a bungee, or in a hard case! :D

I just bought a new liner for my helmet from Oregon Aero, and that was amazing! The TPL Liner was good, but this liner is superb! No hot-spots, even after 5 hours with it on (Imagine 5 hours in a Schweizer 300CB!). I also got the new earseals, with leather cover, and some kind of shaping foam inside. Truly worth the investment! I still wear earplugs, but mostly because I want to keep my hearing until after I turn 50.

Also heard something slightly disturbing about ANR as well... It can actually make your hearing worse, particularily on the lower frequencies, which I find disturbing.

I've said it here before and I'll say it here again................the rebuild kit from Oregon Aero is worth every penny. If your helmet is a few years old, you should seriously consider it. It's called a Zeta liner and the extra earcups are great too.
The difference in comfort and sound protection is unbelievable. Easy to clean too, just throw it in the washing machine every few weeks, and drip-dry (a few hours).
I know you don't want advertising on this forum, but I'm not being paid to say this stuff, so here's a link.
http://www.oregonaero.com/p69_2001.html