God I miss her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
----------------
On 8/24/2002 10:03:55 AM

As I recall, in the late 70's the seating was 232 in coach..quite a difference from the later years of nearly 260 or so.

Topping that, original delivery configuration in 1971 had either 204 or 206 seats TOTAL (can't remember which). That's First AND Coach, both of which had lounge areas. The coach lounge even had the famous Wurlitzer organ...
[:)]

----------------
On 8/24/2002 9:17:05 PM

I thought only the 74's had the piano bar.
----------------

You're correct. Period ads tout the -10's "...spacious coach lounge with stand-up bar...", but only mention the "piano bar" in connection with the 747. My mistake.

I guess i am mising this love affair with the 10....sure she was big..silver..shiney and all BUT...It seemed to me to be a pain in the rear to work...especially the 3 class svc transcon as FFA/Purser...alot of work to put on a smooth svc..the A/C was not desigened for all that as it was hard enough under normal circumstances to find a place to throw out a cup after the carts were down prior to screeching to a hault...rattle and creeking that thing into say LGA from DFW...A flurry of after thoughts and quick fixes from nose to tail as I remember it......sorry guys/gals...but some of my happiest moments at AA have been when my flight from JFK home have RESKED to a 767..( 34 23 27....)[:)]

The 10 was a beatiful plane to fly. But as a mechanic, you have to admit working on the #2 engine was always a real treat!

That's true. At JFK we had the tail stand. But if outside, we'd drop the tail cone and go right up with a man lift.

----------------
On 8/28/2002 9:41:08 AM

#2 engine was good for separating the podium princes from the actual mechanics. It wasn't bad with the appropriate support equipment.

I'd wondered about that. Sure, the #2 on a 1011 is a bit lower, thanks to it's 'S'-duct. But it's still high enough to require some type of lift to get at it. Is there really a difference between the two in terms of ease of access?

----------------

MGA707:

I have spent many years working the 1011 and the Dc10. I like them both. but the 1011 #2 engine was just easier to get at, although working on that model RB211 was an experience. On the Dc10, you had to climb through the tail to access the "patio" and use a speed handle or cordless drill to open the fan cowls. It was somewhat of a pain in the ass to open. Let alone pumping open the reverser halves. The platform was too small for 2 mechanics to comfortably work on the motor. Having to change a major component such as a CSD was a major hassle. The 1011 was accessed using a manlift and just unlatching the cowl. Everything was accesed under the cowlings. It did not have the "pump open" reverser halves to access the major components. One cool feature about the 1011 was that you could access the upper half of the motor by standing on the horizontal stablizer (after locking out the stablizer of course)and opening up the upper cowls( kind of like opening up the hood of your car and leaning over the engine.) changing the #2 engine on the 1011 was not any simpler to accomplish, but not as high and easier to access. I won't get into the operational aspect of either aircraft, but I will say that flying either aircraft was a pleasure. These 2 aircraft were solid feeling and flying. First class was naturally airy and large and no need to "remove" seats to give that "more legroom" feeling.

True. And there are those who would ***** if u tilted the ass of the A/C so they can work on #2 while standing on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.