goobers!

No, it starts with people self-diagnosing. I can't tell you how many times that people have told me they have an allergy to something, and when I ask, "What did your doctor say?", or "What did your Dr. prescribe for it?", I get the answer, "Oh, I haven't seen the doctor." That's usually followed by some claim that "My great-aunt was allergic to this; so, it's probably genetic."

sometimes it may be someone starting to notice they are reacting to a certain food...there are some foods such as kiwi and bananas.. the protein I believe what causes this.. may cause someone's tongue to start to tingle or that same sensation on their lips..generally if someone starts to notice that happening they should probably just go an have it checked out.

the way I would look at it is simply, if someone eats something and a few minutes later their body starts to react and it happens every time that particular food is consumed they themselves become aware...they are allergic to that food or it causes a reaction...and maybe should avoid that particular food...and then have it followed up by a doctor, but maybe the doctor would tell them just dont eat that food anymore is probably what those "self-diagnosed" people are thinking..

I think you missed the point. I will NOT be dictated to as to what I will or will not serve in my own home. It is just as rude to demand to review and approve the menu as it is to ask who else is coming before you decide to accept or decline an invitation.

sometimes when we have dinner parties, I honestly have no idea what to serve! will think about it and then.. I will just call up those who are invited and ask..what would you like or what havent you had for a while and might enjoy, for some more ideas!..

If you feel you have the right to call me up and tell me that I can not serve whatever because you are allergic or you will not attend if so and so is invited, just respectfully decline the invitation. My response will be "Well, we'll miss you. Perhaps another time." But, if you tell me what I can not serve or that you won't come if so and so is invited, there probably won't be a next time.)

I actually see what you are saying, but I would be more focused on the people than the menu.

And, I don't worry about not having anyone to entertain. I am happy to say that invitations to my home are highly coveted. I'm one of those Southern folk who still cooks everything from scratch that I am going to serve--including the bread and the dessert. :up:
Southern dinner parties are some of the absolute best I have ever attended.. with the most delicious foods!

I have a good friend who has a serious, medically-confirmed, allergy to shellfish. The way she handles that is she bypasses the boiled shrimp on the hors d'oeuvre table
sometimes what can happen is the actual preparation of the shrimp such as the sauce and oils used may accidentally get mixed into other foods regarding the seafood and other foods in the same kitchen...not suggesting that is the case, but you just have to be extra careful, I have needed to be that conscientious at times too.

I am a recovering alcoholic. I don't take the champagne cocktail when it is offered. I do not call people up and say, "You know I can't drink; so, you can't serve alcohol while I am in your home."
sometimes you never will really know how someone elses life will be changed and actually affects someone elses... until a person starts to share their own words of recovery...you may have in fact helped more people than you may realize ..as you became stronger by sharing just a few words..and as they viewed your success..

No, it starts with people self-diagnosing. I can't tell you how many times that people have told me they have an allergy to something, and when I ask, "What did your doctor say?", or "What did your Dr. prescribe for it?", I get the answer, "Oh, I haven't seen the doctor." That's usually followed by some claim that "My great-aunt was allergic to this; so, it's probably genetic."

I think you missed the point. I will NOT be dictated to as to what I will or will not serve in my own home. It is just as rude to demand to review and approve the menu as it is to ask who else is coming before you decide to accept or decline an invitation. If you feel you have the right to call me up and tell me that I can not serve whatever because you are allergic or you will not attend if so and so is invited, just respectfully decline the invitation. My response will be "Well, we'll miss you. Perhaps another time." But, if you tell me what I can not serve or that you won't come if so and so is invited, there probably won't be a next time.)

And, I don't worry about not having anyone to entertain. I am happy to say that invitations to my home are highly coveted. I'm one of those Southern folk who still cooks everything from scratch that I am going to serve--including the bread and the dessert. :up:

I have a good friend who has a serious, medically-confirmed, allergy to shellfish. The way she handles that is she bypasses the boiled shrimp on the hors d'oeuvre table. I am a recovering alcoholic. I don't take the champagne cocktail when it is offered. I do not call people up and say, "You know I can't drink; so, you can't serve alcohol while I am in your home."

would someone tell me why there are no posted warnings on school buses/cafeterias, at mall doors, any other public arenas where peanut products are sold, opened, eaten etc?? I am so tired of whiners, even if they have a severe allergy, who can just stay away from the "bad sources" of their potential death-threatening allergic reactions...God help us--what happens if someone drops a glass jar of peanut butter in a grocery??
horse hockey!

would someone tell me why there are no posted warnings on school buses/cafeterias, at mall doors, any other public arenas where peanut products are sold, opened, eaten etc?? I am so tired of whiners, even if they have a severe allergy, who can just stay away from the "bad sources" of their potential death-threatening allergic reactions...God help us--what happens if someone drops a glass jar of peanut butter in a grocery??
horse hockey!
I think the issue with those people and their concerns are the fact, the aircraft is an enclosed environment with re circulated air..as opposed to facilities on the ground where someone has the access to fresh air if they need.
to my understanding, some people can actually have a reaction from breathing the air from an open bag of peanuts... so therefore an aircraft cabin(and re circulated air) is not the best place.

I certainly would never refer to a parent as a "whiner" just because they have concerns regarding their child with a peanut allergy, but just attempt to be a little understanding. They are just concerned about the well being of their children (like most parents are..)

actually some food products even have a label stating the food was made in the same facility that has peanuts.. all they can do is make people aware, all the airlines need to do is tell people they put peanuts back on board..so..they are aware(because they were removed from our airline and put back on)

peanut allergies can be very serious, and I totally understand the need for concern. however...even when they took peanuts off when it was a complimentary snack, it did not or does not stop passengers from bringing on board their own peanut products..

personally just think its best to leave those products off the aircraft, but since they are aligning service, the best thing they can do is simply make people aware.. it will be on board by a notice...so when customers are planning their itinerary.. they can make a decision prior to purchase.

I was on a flight once where the FA made an announcement that peanuts couldn't be served due to a passenger who was allergic to them. None of the other passengers made a big stink about it. Why not post a sign at all gates and check-in areas for these passengers to report if they have this medical condition before the flight during check-in? Then the proper action can be taken by the flight crew.

I was on a flight once where the FA made an announcement that peanuts couldn't be served due to a passenger who was allergic to them. None of the other passengers made a big stink about it. Why not post a sign at all gates and check-in areas for these passengers to report if they have this medical condition before the flight during check-in? Then the proper action can be taken by the flight crew.
I think that is a very good idea.

I think the issue with those people and their concerns are the fact, the aircraft is an enclosed environment with re circulated air..as opposed to facilities on the ground where someone has the access to fresh air if they need.
to my understanding, some people can actually have a reaction from breathing the air from an open bag of peanuts... so therefore an aircraft cabin(and re circulated air) is not the best place.

I have been known to have a bad reaction to certain perfumes and colognes.
So none of those should be allowed in an enclosed place.where I have no access to fresh air.

So none of those should be allowed in an enclosed place.where I have no access to fresh air.
You know that is an excellent point, especially in the aircraft(someone wearing too much perfume/colognes)...also...because some people in other situations may be sensitive to the airborne particles of perfumes..and it may trigger a reaction..maybe even an asthma attack in some people? that is really something to think about..and to keep in mind going forward.

Check most airline web sites where you check in. Where you change seats, check in for flights, there is usually a place to list special needs. Sometimes it means a special meal or if you're handicapped you can make a notation there. I don't know what mechanism each airline has to identify it to the agent at the gate but if your allergy is THAT severe then you should let them know ahead of time so they can screen the other passengers or make an announcement about the necessity of keeping the allergen stowed. If there aren't any notes and no passengers came forward at the gate then BREAK OUT THE GOOBERS!

Me to. I once came extremely close to smelling and kissing a FA's neck because her pefume was so enticing. WOW!! I say no more perfume!! :lol:

Why not post a sign at all gates and check-in areas for these passengers to report if they have this medical condition before the flight during check-in? Then the proper action can be taken by the flight crew.

We used to have to do this once in awhile... If a passenger with a severe allergy was on the flight, we'd find out their seat number, and search the surrounding 5-10 rows to make sure there were no peanuts from the previous trip.

Wait. I just remembered! I'm allergic to certain types of wool. Another passenger's sleeve might touch me and cause a reaction. I think we should just have everyone strip down naked at the gate and throw their clothes into a bin module for loading underneath. We could then hose them down with a disinfectant and water to make sure that there is no peanut dust on them or other allergens, rinse out their mouths with Listerine (in case they have eaten peanut products within the last 24 hours), and scrub them down to make sure there is no animal hair or dander on them. Then, and only then, can they board.

(Maybe the stripping down would get some of them to go on a diet.) :lol:

We used to have to do this once in awhile... If a passenger with a severe allergy was on the flight, we'd find out their seat number, and search the surrounding 5-10 rows to make sure there were no peanuts from the previous trip.
after reading that comment, I can recall how the ground crews were that thorough.

Wait. I just remembered! I'm allergic to certain types of wool. Another passenger's sleeve might touch me and cause a reaction. I think we should just have everyone strip down naked at the gate and throw their clothes into a bin module for loading underneath. We could then hose them down with a disinfectant and water to make sure that there is no peanut dust on them or other allergens, rinse out their mouths with Listerine (in case they have eaten peanut products within the last 24 hours), and scrub them down to make sure there is no animal hair or dander on them. Then, and only then, can they board.

(Maybe the stripping down would get some of them to go on a diet.) :lol:

Sounds like a good plan.