My Friend's First Time on Airways--Not a Good Impression

It's a real shame the aren't more like you out there. I am on furlough now and happen to work in a location where I run across a large number of both US & AA FA's. I can say that I have had some very interesting and occasionally insightful conversations, and met some pretty neat people in the process. But I have also noticed a disturbing trend,particularly among the higher senority crowd.

It seems there is a real entittlement mentality among a lot of domestic FAs. Having done this job myself in the distant past, I have no usions that it is a tough job at times. But it is also a great job that those not yet fired by this economy ought to be a lot more appreciative of. Free travel, finishing one's day in new or exotic places, and taking home a lot more money than jobs of similar skill would bring outside of an airline are good things. For every bad attitude I see blamed on Management, I can add without fear of contradiction one more perspective to the list of those in need of adjustment.

You are right. The Customer pays the salary. And all the whinning and excuse making in the world won't bring one more dollar to the airline when someone decides "US employees a bunch of out-of-touch babies. Hell if they'll see any more of my money!" I just wish more people saw this very basic fact as asuch instead of something in need of a union supported arguement.
You sound jealous

Our Tel-Aviv passengers have been suffering big time in the land of PHOC.

From what the agents are saying the inbound flight to PHL has started a pattern of arriving late....."well wadda you know"!

Many passengers are misconnecting on long haul flights by minutes and the management team in fill-a-delphia will not hold the departures to accomodate them.

I see this route going no where fast. Art, remember....Co out of EWR is the best choice for all of your friends unfortunately.

You sound jealous

Hehe, no, that's not jealousy. It's contempt, there's a difference. I won't be volunteering to go back to the Airline anytime soon, seeing as I make more now, & I'm home every night.

I think you missed my point though. You can say what you want about management and working conditions, etc, but buddy, until you've worked at a restaurant or clinic (or any number of other places), you just don't know what "This job sucks" really means. My point was that I wish more people knew how easily things can be so much worse.

And it was also that once a Customer decides you're a bunch of fools, it doesn't Matter who's fault it is. That is money that is gone forever. Get it now?

Many passengers are misconnecting on long haul flights by minutes and the management team in fill-a-delphia will not hold the departures to accomodate them.
I take the continuing flight # on to LAX quite a bit and have seen few problems.

My question to you is why would we hold the FIRST flight of the day for connects?

I can see it if it's the LAST flight of the day.

You start doing that and things go south pretty fast.

I do have to admit it is a bit of a learning curve when the guy who bought the Nap package mentioned at the END of the flight that his ear plugs didn't work and he wanted his money back.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained, I guess.

Well, to give credit where credit is due, my friend was contacted by US Airways Customer Relations, and was given 2 $250 vouchers - for which he was most grateful. It does appear that he gave a physical description of the FA who was rude, and although I doubt nothing will ever come of it, they promised him In Flight would be contacted.

I just hope they seriously address the ISSUES.....

My BEST to you all.....

Oh yes I assure you a folded note will be in that persons file requiring an explanation in writing. Possibly a meeting and if it's a pattern they go from there. I looked up the crew and I can bet you I know EXACTLY who it was. I would bet my last glass of wine on it.

Piney you would just be amazed at what we get in our files. A person burps there is a folded note with a whole explanation needed. Most of the time with a whole diatribe from the check in to the final destination bag claim and somewhere in there, something about "and the F/A gave me a mean look and didn't help" Half the time it's 2 months later and you are thinking what flight was this!? I can't rememeber milk from the grocery half the time much less what happened on some SJU flight 2 months ago. The whole process is absurd.
That being said there is a person on this flight was working Y class that well...I avoid. The process is rather shady as it's depending on the letter but you get so many and VERBAL warn...another written WARN then time off. If I ever have an issue I write the whole thing up and submit it. I never get a bad letter. I always get letters asking WHAT DID YOU SEE? My standard response is "I was not involved in this incident and was providing pax safety, comfort and care during the during the time in question" :blink:

So if I'm hearing you correctly an "incident" like this one was NOT his/her first rodeo? So that leads me to a question. When the company identifies a pattern of poor customer service by a flight attendent walk us through the process please.

And why would an FA who presumably has a paper trail of complaints be allowed to work US's brand new, most high-profile route? :rolleyes: I can only imagine that it has everything to do with seniority, and absolutely nothing to do with the best fit for the route and the customer base?

Piney- you got it all twisted up but thats OK. Actually, most of the "sr gals" have a better attitude and can run circles around a 20 year flight attendant or a RSV bitter they had to take a one day over a 4 day. We have our bad apples at ALL levels of seniority. Did I at any time tell you the person was a block holder or a rsv!? Nope. There were both on that trip. The seniority ranged from 30 years to 10 (our most jr).
SS255 your post is just absurd and I have no reason to respond to nonsense. Why don't we start picking our Nurses based on face, weight, height, how clean the uniform and if they giggle when you order your jello flavor! God I hope you never get sick. The 30 year stern Nurse that has seen it all just may catch the DR giving you too much cc of something while the other nurse would still be giggly over your Cherry JELLO ORDER. NEXT

Piney let me tell you this in a nutshell. PAX will write you up these days to get something free for the slightest thing. I see it all the time in mail files. It's just a problem with everything. The sky cap scowled at them. The kiosk was crap. The Agent was mean. TSA pissed them off. The pilot flew the plane too slow. The F/A didn't have peanuts. the agent was not there tell them there was a tornado in PHL and the flight canceled. I WANT I WANT I WANT...I NEED I NEED I NEED. HOW DARE LIFE DO THIS TO ME! I mean, gees come on! This system is at it break point people. The whole air traffic system is just a mess.
Even inflight will tell you half the write ups sound like they were mad at the world and b/c they missed the cruise b/c they left the same day!
It gets silly and the lagit write-ups get lost. We are worn out. We are overworked with not enough rest. At 2 am we are called to work Rome after being up all day. The Rome people that have been jacked up don't give a crap they just are flabbergasted that we are short tempered and not smiling and pandering to their misfortune. And around and around we go.