Gov. Rendell to meet with USAirways on new Center

jetpiedmont79

Jan 18, 2006
Rendell to meet with US Airways on bid for new center

Thursday, November 02, 2006

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Gov. Ed Rendell said today he will meet in the next two weeks with the head of US Airways to determine how Allegheny County can "tweak" its bid to have the airline locate its operations center here.

The state and county have offered $16.25 million in incentives to lure the $25 million center to the region.

But it was revealed this week that Phoenix has offered a package of $24 million in incentives.

Mr. Rendell, who was attending a bill signing in the North Hills, said afterward that he would be meeting with US Airways CEO Doug Parker soon to see how Pennsylvania could improve its bid. He said the state should get some consideration because cutbacks by the former incarnation of the airline cost 10,000 jobs, many in the Pittsburgh region.

Mr. Rendell said the "buzz" is that the choice for the new center is between Phoenix and Pittsburgh, presumably meaning that Charlotte, N.C., is no longer under consideration.

Kirby was meeting with Eddie the day after the CLT employee webcast in regards to the PHL gate situation. I wonder how it went and if this is a result of that conversation.

Look out Dougie Boy here comes Fast Eddie and he's coming to get you.

Need help in PHL? think PIT, not PHX for your new center.

Be sure to count your fingers after you shake his hand Doug. The man (Rendell) represents everything that is wrong with politics today....

And this is from someone who lives in arguably the most corrupt State in the country (NJ) and who's last Governor resigned in disgrace. Obviously the 400+ workers at PIT Ops would not agree with your assessment of Rendell's purported strategy.

You know, I grew up in PA and love my homestate and worked for US in PHL for several years, but US doesn't owe PA or PIT anything for the job cuts and downsizing of PIT over the years.

It's extremely disappointing and unfortunate what happened to all of the fine folks with US in Western PA, but PIT shouldn't have a leg up unless it makes the best sense operationally and financially. Of course, being that business is being done in PA with Fast Eddie, John Street and his kin-folk at PHL, you're kind of stuck having to play the games to get the gates needed for the TA growth. It really bites!

Look out Dougie Boy here comes Fast Eddie and he's coming to get you.

Need help in PHL? think PIT, not PHX for your new center.

Be sure to count your fingers after you shake his hand Doug. The man (Rendell) represents everything that is wrong with politics today.

Make sure you wear your Foul Proof Cup, Lace your gloves tight, Put your mouthpiece in, Lead with the left, cross with the right, keep your hands up, watch the low blows and protect yourself at all times. Good Luck

Does he beat former Ohio Congressman Jim Traficant?

Only in the fact he has not been convicted of any crimes.

But our man Jim wins the hair award hands down.
And can you believe that is a hair piece?!!? Jim T was the sheriff when I was growing up, kept company with some pretty shady "bent nose" types....looked the other way while they conducted their "business"(numbers,prostitution,arson,extortion, etc.) ....and lo and behold he gets into politics(with some pretty hefty financial backing)! Fast Eddie at least ditched the leasure suit!!

Dorf

OK then who's hair was it? Or was it hair? He was quite a character.

It may have been hair.

But it wasn't Traficant's.

Some where in a Bad Rug Hall of Fame you will find that mop and one that sat on the head of a certain pilot we haven't heard from lately.

You know, I grew up in PA and love my homestate and worked for US in PHL for several years, but US doesn't owe PA or PIT anything for the job cuts and downsizing of PIT over the years.

It's extremely disappointing and unfortunate what happened to all of the fine folks with US in Western PA, but PIT shouldn't have a leg up unless it makes the best sense operationally and financially. Of course, being that business is being done in PA with Fast Eddie, John Street and his kin-folk at PHL, you're kind of stuck having to play the games to get the gates needed for the TA growth. It really bites!

Gov. Rendell works and represents the folks in PA. It's business, and Rendell is looking out for the interests of the residents in Pittsburgh, and PA. PHL happens to be the Crown Jewel for US; its expected of Rendell to negotiate with U management to bring some of the U operation to Pittsburgh which would create and maintain jobs.

This is what governors do, in addition, gaming is coming to Pitsburgh area (North Shore). U can increase flights to pittsburgh (shuttle service :up: )

Gov. Rendell works and represents the folks in PA. It's business, and Rendell is looking out for the interests of the residents in Pittsburgh, and PA. PHL happens to be the Crown Jewel for US; its expected of Rendell to negotiate with U management to bring some of the U operation to Pittsburgh which would create and maintain jobs.

This is what governors do, in addition, gaming is coming to Pitsburgh area (North Shore). U can increase flights to pittsburgh (shuttle service :up: )

With all due respect to Pittsburgh. PIT with slots is no comparision to ACY for sleaze. And we don't even fly to ACY anymore.

I hate to say this but I picked up on something DP said at the quarterly meeting. He wants the center to be in a city where there is a large US employee presence.Well that pretty much rules out PIT. I'm surprised PHL wasn't selected to participate. CLT will put up an excellent package, however I'd be willing to bet it's all smoke and mirrors. That puppy will stay in PHX. ;)

It could be interesting, but if Mr. Parker wants those PHL gates, he had better be talking with "Fast-Eddie" about PIT!!!!!

Am I missing something or doesn't US already have a state of the art OCC in PIT that use to handle over 400 aircraft per day? The combined US+HP is near the size of the old US pre-2001, so what is the issue? Why not just use the existing PIT facility? Why do they need something new?