PA wants U to move Corp. HQ to PA?.......

Guys-

Despite Gov. Rendell's expertise in these matters, playing PHL against PIT isn't going to work. Even the Governor cannot deal lower lease payments at one airport against higher lease payments at another. The only way the State of PA can play this game is with their own money: NOT AIRPORT REVENUE.

Also, although less clear, both airports individually can renegotiate leases that have been rejected by any company in bankruptcy, but to provide a deal to U and then turn around and NOT provide a reasonably comparable deal to similar aeronautical users is prohibited.

Finally, it is probably illegal for the state of PA to get the ACAA to forgo revenue for the purposes to bring airline executive jobs to the State (well, maybe if the deal involved an airline renting HQ facilities FROM the ACAA) THis is a bit less clear, because an airport is not required to get fair-market value for the aeronautical use of airport facilities.

But if ACAA is going to radically restructure their leases, they better be prepared to make sure that they don't have any sweatheart, below market rate non-aeronautical leases.

In reading the information here on neogations. What about Va. or Arlington countering any offer by PA to keep the jobs where there are currently. The press release states they are considering moving to PA. I am sure this is to open the door for a better deal by staying where they are.

Pitbull

I do find it interesting how management is using the same tactics with PA as they did the employees. As long as we don''t find ourselves making a pilgrimmage to Montgomery, I guess I could careless where the coons decide to call home. Just know it takes money to move and whoever wins out better pony up.

----------------
On 4/13/2003 8:58:04 AM PineyBob wrote:

Listen, I do not pretend to know all of the nuances of the law or politics involved here, my point was and remains that if the Dave''s think they are going to walk into PA and wave the big hammer and everybody either caves in or opens the piggy bank they are mistaken.

In fact if you check elsewhere on this board, US Airways has already agreed to "consider" movong HQ operations to PA. So it seems that in the early rounds, "fast Eddie" has landed the first telling blows in our Heavyweight bout.

Stay tuned it should be an interesting battle. The Daves don''t have the clock on their side in this one and the state of PA is a little more savvy (no disrespect to the unions intended) than the Dave''s last competition.

----------------​
.Bob,

From Where I sit...as always...your analysis is very insightful and right on. This is going to get very interesting, and I am going to sit and relax on this one for once.....

PineyBob-

Do you know who was mayor of Philly when the parking garages at PHL were built? I would have thought that would have been before Rendell, but maybe not. Well, when did Rendell become mayor of Philly?

Pineybob I agree with you, it will be very interesting to watch this bidding war. Like you I will put my money on a "street fighter" from PHL. They will beat Arlington, VA, and even PIT.

I agree, Fast Eddie is a slick guy, don''t forget even slick Willy had fast Eddie as the Chairman of the DNC for a while.

The garages at PHL were built over time, even adding garages recently. The first one was built long before Rendell was mayor.

Jay

You won''t see PIT win, no airline is knocking at PIT''s door to fill a void if US Airways leaves. PIT is destinened to be the next CVG, numerous RJ flights to feed a few mainline flights. PIT does not have the O&D passenger loads to support a hub and all the old time executives who made PIT Mecca are gone.

Just look, CLT got a brand new line hanger, offsite facility, newer heavy mtc hanger then PIT, PHL got a line hangar and what has PIT gotten? Nada! The FSMC has not been built and won''t be.

The writing is on the wall.

Let''s not forget one thing. Dave learned business from working under Bethune. Bethune feels to this day that all the PIT types stabbed the Piedmont guys in the back when they bought out Piedmont, and imposed the US Air management on everyone. Dave even mentioned during the CLT dog and pony shows about how much Bethune raved about the Piedmont workforce. He could just stick it to PIT out of spite and to do something for Bethune, while saving the outrageous fees in PIT at the same time.

CLT did try to lure the US HQ here previously, and B of A still has plenty of state of the art office space for lease downtown in the second largest banking center in the country.

I am sure nothing will change, though, and the halls of CCY will remain open for years to come.

Bob, Eddie does not sit on a pile of money, every state, county and town thru out this country is hurting for money and are slashing jobs and services to save money.

Bob read the information provided by the state of PA:

State budget in crisis

Harrisburg, Feb. 19 – On March 4, Gov. Ed Rendell will deliver his inaugural budget address to a joint session of the General Assembly and, according to state Rep. Ted Harhai, it likely will include some discussion of the more than $2 billion budget deficit facing Pennsylvania.

"Now is not the time to paint a rosy picture of the financial challenge that Pennsylvania faces in the coming fiscal year," Harhai said. "The truth is that to plug holes in the state budget, the former administration used $1.8 billion in one-time fixes. Like any money that is borrowed, it must be repaid, and this year state officials must figure out how to make up the deficit.

"I'll be honest – this is going to be a challenging budget year. It is important that all Pennsylvanians fully understand what is going on in Harrisburg, so that they are better informed about how the budget could affect them and their families," Harhai said.

Harhai said that people should look forward to an honest and proactive approach to balancing this year's budget.

"The time for one-time fixes is over," Harhai said. "The state's Rainy Day Fund is depleted and federal funds are scarce. As we begin work on the state's spending plan, we must look for new revenue sources and innovative ways to grow the economy. I'm certain that the present administration, with the cooperation of the General Assembly, will rise to this challenge and find the solutions that are necessary. And Pennsylvanians will be informed every step of the way."

According to Harhai, balancing the budget will be a daunting, but not an insurmountable task.

"Pennsylvania has a budget crisis, but we will work it out," Harhai said.

Here are words right out of Eddie's mouth:

GOVERNOR RENDELL PROPOSES PLAN FOR PENNSYLVANIA
TO LIVE WITHIN ITS MEANS
"This necessary first step will not be my final word," Rendell Says.

HARRISBURG, PA (March 4, 2003)

Standing in front of a joint session of the legislature this morning, Governor Edward G. Rendell unveiled a $21 billion budget that requires painful spending cuts but balances a historic $2.4 billion budget deficit for fiscal year 2003-2004.

"I told our fellow citizens that I would not hesitate to make the tough decisions necessary to build a brighter future for Pennsylvania," Rendell said during the forty-five minute speech. "Today, in the face of a budget crisis that is far worse than anyone anticipated, I present a budget that includes a long list of tough decisions…that will surely bring hardship to citizens in every corner of the Commonwealth."

In the face of a $2.4 billion deficit, Rendell outlined his budget that entails cutting $1.6 billion in spending for FY03-04, taken from virtually every area of state budget. In addition, Rendell called on the legislative and judicial branches to maintain level spending, following Rendell's announcement last week cutting $211 million in executive branch bureaucratic costs.

The budget Rendell unveiled today does, however, include over $750 million in increased revenues for FY03-04. Included is the assessment of the balance of the Tobacco Settlement Fund Endowment Account (which will generate $330 million) and the use of the balance of the Rainy Day Fund (providing an additional $250 million).

Rendell also proposed implementing an assessment on nursing home facilities in Pennsylvania, a suggestion made by representatives of the industry, adding an additional $145 million to supplement the Commonwealth's long-term care program.

Rendell pointed out that this budget includes painful cuts all across the board. The cuts will include a series of health care programs, a reduction in most social services grants and many valuable education programs. The budget does hold the Basic Education subsidy and the Special Education subsidy at FY02-03 levels.

"I have prepared this budget in response to the conditions I inherited and the statutory requirements of the state's budget process," Rendell followed. "But this necessary first step will not be my final word."

Rendell followed the outline of his proposed budget with the announcement that he will return for a second joint session of the legislature on March 25, 2003, three weeks following today's address, to detail his plan to invest in a New Pennsylvania.

Rendell insisted that his speech on March 25 will begin "by believing that our best days are ahead of us, and acting on that belief by investing in Pennsylvania once again."

The Governor's Plan for a New Pennsylvania includes historic new levels of education funding to implement programs that are proven in helping children to learn, accompanied by tough accountability measures. Rendell also said he will propose a decrease in unfair and burdensome local property taxes - part of this proposal will be budgeted through the legalization of slot machines at Pennsylvania's racetracks.

Rendell, who was rewarded by his election as Governor for talking straight with the people of our state throughout his election campaign about the possibility of raising taxes, allowed, ". . . I want to be honest with the citizens of this Commonwealth: I anticipate that a tax increase will likely be necessary to make this investment plan a reality."

Further, Rendell's plan will call for an unprecedented effort to invest in Pennsylvania's future by leveraging a $5 billion impact for economic development and job creation through the use of $2 billion worth of bonds.

"These are bold ideas and the time for action is now…I believe that this budget cycle provides the opportunity to start a Pennsylvania recovery instead of waiting for the national economy or the Federal government to bail us out…We have the chance to fix what's really broken, if only we are willing to try," Rendell concluded.

To view the Budget-in-Brief or the entire FY 03-04 Governor's Executive Budget, please visit

www.budget.state.pa.us

Bob, U does not need PIT, that is the thing you fail to realize, they can move training to CLT with a much newer facility, and Dave #2 will give them money to build a new res center and there are hangars all over the US waiting for some airline to occupy them. I believe the city of Indianapolis is looking for a new tenant in their state of the art facility.

PIT ended up with the "Q" check because when they closed INT and GSO, and tried to accomplish all the Qs on the 737s, the 178 bulkhead, the 767 and 757 HMV, all the drop-in visits and engine changes in CLT, it was an impossible task to accomplish. A bean counter can make numbers work anyway they want but in reality you can't put 10 lbs of manure in a 5lb bag and make it work.

Plus with the grounded of the DC-9, MD-80 and F100 fleet it was easier to spread the work between CLT, PIT and TPA then to shut PIT down and affect thousands more then but a shutdown then to spread the work around.

Since you are throwing jabs, here is one for you:

Where is the Frank Shifano Maintenance Complex that Frankie and PIT has promised you guys up there for years?

And what happened to the Test Cell and the JT8 Engine Shop?

Have you seen our nice new Line Hangar to complete our Heavy Hangar, our new offsite facility, training facility, or PHL's new Hangar?

Funny how two hangars have been built since you have been promised a new maintenance complex and none of them have been in PIT!

----------------
On 4/14/2003 9:01:05 AM PineyBob wrote:
Who do you think put the stadium funding together for PHL and PIT? before he became Govenor? Over 1.2 Billion in Public and private funds! Hint his nickname is fast Eddie.
----------------​

I''m no longer a PA resident and haven''t been for quite some time now, however, I still pay much closer attention to PIT politics because it was once my home and I have family there. Fast Eddie may have had a lot to do with the financing of the stadium in PHL, but he had absolutely nothing to do with the funding of Pittsburgh''s Plan B: Regional Destination Development Plan. Here''s the timeline for your perusal:
http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19...imelinepnc9.asp

I''ll take your word on his reputation, however, he was not instrumental in the Pittsburgh improvements financing.

PIT has the 737 Q check because of the consolidation of maint. A very good move. The wide- bodies are done inside the new and high- tech CLT hangars while PIT got the 737's. CLT has a modern and well equipped training center that already has been expanded and has plenty classrooms and empty bays for sims.

Obviously most of the PIT posters have never been south of PA and their impressions of the south are from the old Dukes of Hazard TV series done in Hollywood. Actually from my observations PA is behind NC technologically. Have you tried to make a phone call from Moon? Can't get a line out.
NC has some of the best universities and medical systems in the country. NC has NFL football and NHL hockey. CLT is the second largest banking center in the USA. In NC, we have beautiful beaches which, unlike northern beaches, are open to the public since even oceanfront homes don't own the beach property. That is just the tip of the iceburg.

So get over this "Billy-Bob" impression of the south, but please don't come down and try to remake the north.

----------------
On 4/13/2003 6:23:13 PM LavMan wrote:

You won''t see PIT win, no airline is knocking at PIT''s door to fill a void if US Airways leaves. PIT is destinened to be the next CVG, numerous RJ flights to feed a few mainline flights. PIT does not have the O&D passenger loads to support a hub and all the old time executives who made PIT Mecca are gone.

Just look, CLT got a brand new line hanger, offsite facility, newer heavy mtc hanger then PIT, PHL got a line hangar and what has PIT gotten? Nada! The FSMC has not been built and won''t be.

The writing is on the wall.

----------------​
FSRJMF-new moniker lavman.....updated by fast eddie.
rendell is going to raise all kinds of money here shortly.....grand plans by the chief Dem on his typical ''tax and spend'' for the next four years....everythings to go" up" here in Pa.
they will cut a ''sweetheart deal'' for pit and philly,bet you arse.rendell needs an early biggie win for his four year mission.