Ground Handling

I forget how many the BAE 146 used to carry(@ 70 PAX)
If you are unfamiliar what the BAE stands for, it could have been:
-British Attempt @ Engineering or was it
-Bring Another Engine
I forget.(
Long live SPARCy & Rambo.

Would it help improve Express ops in places like PHL if mainline took over the operations from Piedmont in the hubs? Essentially it would probably just mean re-hiring PDT employees at the higher mainline wage and having a seamless single operation instead of two. Any thoughts?

Uhhh.... No. Express to Express connecting bags in PHL rarely miss their connection. The problems occur when a customer connects from mainline to Express, or vice versa. While I could go on and on about the complexities of the PHL operation, I will add only a few points that may help the average customer understand why their bags don't make it on their connection in PHL.

1.) US Airways mainline fleet employees don't seem to have any sense of urgency to either pick up connecting bags from inbound Express flights, or to deliver bags to Express connections from inbound mainline flights.

2.) Piedmont ramp employees are non-union and don't have a myriad of roadblocks to keep them from doing their job, and they are held accountable for bags that do not make the connection.

3.) If the Express ramp was turned over to US mainline, the missed bag numbers would be far worse, because the union protects shoddy work and there would be no accountability.

So, to sum up. US Airways mainline employees both pick up and deliver connecting bags from the Terminal F in PHL, and until more control of this process is given to Express employees, things will not get much better for mainline/Express connections.

Latest posts

Back