Hawaii Non-reving

usjacket

Senior
Aug 30, 2002
Is it possible to non-rev to Hawaii and if so what is the easiest time of year to try? Anyone? Thanks.
hula.jpg

It is possible, and U.S. domestic carriers are almost always full, year-round. I commuted from HNL and found that the best airline to get a seat on would be on a foreign carrier since they can not sell seats between two U.S. cities, (ticket must originate or terminate in country of flag carrier). This rule does not affect non-revs, and many revenue pax get off in HNL or LAX/SFO, freeing up some space. You could fly on Philippines, Korean, or any other Asian carrier. Quantas is a good choice too. Check out ZED fares, and ALOHA!

The very best time to non-rev almost anywhere are those 2 weeks after Thanksgiving, before the Christmas rush starts. NO ONE is going anywhere, hardly. (like about Nov 28 through Dec 12 this year)

If you're talking about getting to Hawaii on HP/US, it's not easy to non-rev if you want to leave on a Fri or Sat, but it is definitely possilbe -- even on those days, occasionally. I would recommend using an SA1 vacation pass. Many flights this time of year are quite full. And some will have 30+ non-revs listed, too, over a holiday weekend, for example. Historically, loads drop off in September -- just like any other route, practically. However, I believe HP/US also reduces the number of flights to Hawaii in the fall with a couple of destinations going to every other day, instead of daily (or something like that.)

That said, I've non-revved to 2 islands over the past 2 months. I would have to say it depends on how many people are traveling together (1 or 2 people will have it easier than a family of 6, say.) I wouldn't seriously plan more then 2 weeks in advance. Go to the ETC. Put in PHX (to HNL, LIH, OGG, or KOA) or LAS (to OGG) and the outbound and return date (on HP). Generally speaking, those PBT's aren't going to change a whole lot as most normal people plan a trip to Hawaii more than 2 weeks in advance. Start looking about a month in advance and you'll get a feel for if you can make it happen or not. Put in a day ahead and a day after for both out and back if nothing comes up because of the every other day schedule for some destinations and returns. Try different days as you might see different/better numbers, too. Outbound on Tuesdays seems the best for non-revving. Keep checking the loads as the date approaches and be prepared to go a day earlier or later and return a day earlier or later. HNL has the most options for hopping on OAL (followed by OGG) if anything doesn't go right. Always have a plan "B". A lot of condos will let you change your reservations and a lot won't. Plan, check, and verify ahead of time. Many reasonable hotels are available last minute unless it's a holiday or Hawaiian celebration. You pretty much MUST rent a car. And the best guide(s) I've found are from this author

http://wizardpub.com/

(books are available at any decent bookstore -- buy before you go and read-up -- very good road, beach, and restaurant information)

PHX can be weight-restricted if the winds from the west are really bad (don't know about LAS) -- but the gate agents that work the Hawaii flights are really good about counting babies, and children in order to get everybody and the most stand-bys on. I've seen flights go out full, even with a weight restriction.

It is possible, and U.S. domestic carriers are almost always full, year-round. I commuted from HNL and found that the best airline to get a seat on would be on a foreign carrier since they can not sell seats between two U.S. cities, (ticket must originate or terminate in country of flag carrier). This rule does not affect non-revs, and many revenue pax get off in HNL or LAX/SFO, freeing up some space. You could fly on Philippines, Korean, or any other Asian carrier. Quantas is a good choice too. Check out ZED fares, and ALOHA!
The last time I flew non-rev from LAX to HNL,it was on Korean with no problems.Very enjoyable flts.

Back