Health Insurance Enrollment

Bob Owens said:

I'm not buying into your conspiracy theory. AA had a bill to pay and it is paid quarterly, and that is reflected by the SEC filings. The only part I will agree to is that with the level of pay is partly governed by the cost of health care, but I would also say, a further contributing factor would be the overall economic conditions in the US as a whole.

Read a article, that stated that on your W-2, if box #12 is marked DD (some kind of code), and there is an amount within that box, THAT is AA's share that they pay, per anum. That is benefit you receive by not shouldering the entire cost to insure you. Want a lower health care cost and for the AA to pay more than 80%? Then expect a lower hourly rate of pay. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/fieldclinic/Youre-about-to-find-out-what-your-health-insurance-really-costs.html

bob@las-AA said:
I'm not buying into your conspiracy theory. AA had a bill to pay and it is paid quarterly, and that is reflected by the SEC filings. The only part I will agree to is that with the level of pay is partly governed by the cost of health care, but I would also say, a further contributing factor would be the overall economic conditions in the US as a whole.

Read a article, that stated that on your W-2, if box #12 is marked DD (some kind of code), and there is an amount within that box, THAT is AA's share that they pay, per anum. That is benefit you receive by not shouldering the entire cost to insure you. Want a lower health care cost and for the AA to pay more than 80%? Then expect a lower hourly rate of pay. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/fieldclinic/Youre-about-to-find-out-what-your-health-insurance-really-costs.html

I thought you said you weren't bucking for that management job?

bob@las-AA said:
 Want a lower health care cost and for the AA to pay more than 80%? Then expect a lower hourly rate of pay. 

Really? Then explain why our peers have higher hourly wages and lower out of pocket costs for coverage and Insurance. (and Profit sharing, and doubletime, and sick time, and Holiday pay, and vacation and IOD time and,,,,,,,,,,)

Your link is not relevant because AA is our Insurance carrier, they collect the fees and outsource management of the claims. 

bob@las-AA said:

you really should go into management.

Bob Owens said:
Really? Then explain why our peers have higher hourly wages and lower out of pocket costs for coverage and Insurance. (and Profit sharing, and doubletime, and sick time, and Holiday pay, and vacation and IOD time and,,,,,,,,,,)

Your link is not relevant because AA is our Insurance carrier, they collect the fees and outsource management of the claims. 

Don't forget, I pay those high rates right alongside with everyone else. So the little card I get in the mail that has the Blue Cross and Blue Shield logo on it is a lie? My money isn't paying them? Please explain. You would have me believe, from your last post,  that the money withheld from my check pays American and not my health provider? Again, seems a little far fetched. Maybe you could explain yourself better but at the end of the day, the fact that the cost of health care is rising. And we must pay our share simple.   

bob@las-AA said:

Don't forget, I pay those high rates right alongside with everyone else. So the little card I get in the mail that has the Blue Cross and Blue Shield logo on it is a lie? My money isn't paying them? Please explain. You would have me believe, from your last post,  that the money withheld from my check pays American and not my health provider? Again, seems a little far fetched. Maybe you could explain yourself better but at the end of the day, the fact that the cost of health care is rising. And we must pay our share simple.   
The money withheld from your check goes to American. If the money doesn't get used for claims its AA's money. Just like the millions from the Supplimental medical they kept, American uses your money to pay those providers to manage the claims, so the more claims they deny the better they look. The ones who find ways of denying claims or treatments while getting people to accept the denials,  which saves AA the most money, get kept, those that don't get dumped. Read her letter, who did they just hire? Why do you think they are constantly changing plan administrators? 

We must pay our fair share? Hmm, but AA is making billions in profits while we live under concessions and AA doesnt share any of that with us, but you are OK with that? Its fair that we should pay more for medical with our reduced compensation that has not kept up with the same rising costs and you say thats fair. Are you a complete moron? 

The fact is they lied, its mathematically impossible for them to be paying 80% of the total cost when we have to pay them for the coverage, then on top of that pay deductibles and copays, even if we had a billion in medical expenses that they accepted they could never ever get to 80%. The fact is on average the company pays less than 30% of the total costs and the worker pays over 70%. Thats based upon the figures the company put forth in negotiations based upon our medical costs prior to BK. For the overwhelming majority of workers they pay much more than 70%, only the very ill will see more than 70% of total costs paid by the company. No worker will ever see the company pay 80% of the total cost. Many workers pay in excess of 100% of total costs. 

"Hope and courage will fill the coffers of the people's spirits." Try paying your medical bills with that Hope and Courage, have a piece of "pie in the sky" afterwards. 

Bob Owens said:
 The fact is on average the company pays less than 30% of the total costs and the worker pays over 70%. 

And the mighty TWU never insisted the compAAny, in exchange for removing yearly premium cap increases, prove the members were paying no more than 20% of healthcare costs?

Birdman said:

And the mighty TWU never insisted the compAAny, in exchange for removing yearly premium cap increases, prove the members were paying no more than 20% of healthcare costs?
We did what we could to get the NO vote. It was close, all we can do is keep getting the word out and hope that in the future the majority really consider what they are voting YES to. 

bob@las-AA said:
Don't forget, I pay those high rates right alongside with everyone else. So the little card I get in the mail that has the Blue Cross and Blue Shield logo on it is a lie? My money isn't paying them? Please explain. You would have me believe, from your last post,  that the money withheld from my check pays American and not my health provider? Again, seems a little far fetched. Maybe you could explain yourself better but at the end of the day, the fact that the cost of health care is rising. And we must pay our share simple.
Wow. Your ignorance in the way a self-insured company works is astounding.

You are not ready for management at all...unless they just want get rid of you. They can't do that easily right now since your in the union, but if you make the jump to management, all bets are off.

Bob Owens said:
"Hope and courage will fill the coffers of the people's spirits." 
After compleating quick look-see to find some truth to you claim, that was endowed in a rather large obnoxious print. Because of the size of AA, it would definitely be self-insured for the sole purpose of reducing risk. Within the framework of being SI, AA will pay for 80% of our health care expenditures after you have met the deductible to the provider, or through direct reimbursement to you for covered items. The number of employees at AA guarantees that the per-capita expenditures on illnesses per annum drastically reduces the risk that AA will have to pay for a catastrophic illness. But what you are advocating, and I will use myself as an example. If I have $800 per-year removed from my check, that money is not my share of the 20% of my premium per year that I have to pay to get health insurance? 

bob@las-AA said:
After compleating quick look-see to find some truth to you claim, that was endowed in a rather large obnoxious print. Because of the size of AA, it would definitely be self-insured for the sole purpose of reducing risk. Within the framework of being SI, AA will pay for 80% of our health care expenditures after you have met the deductible to the provider, or through direct reimbursement to you for covered items. The number of employees at AA guarantees that the per-capita expenditures on illnesses per annum drastically reduces the risk that AA will have to pay for a catastrophic illness. But what you are advocating, and I will use myself as an example. If I have $800 per-year removed from my check, that money is not my share of the 20% of my premium per year that I have to pay to get health insurance? 

Q. Why do employers self fund their health plans?
A. There are several reasons why employers choose the self-insurance option. The following are the most common reasons:
  1. The employer can customize the plan to meet the specific health care needs of its workforce, as opposed to purchasing a 'one-size-fits-all' insurance policy.
  2. The employer maintains control over the health plan reserves, enabling maximization of interest income - income that would be otherwise generated by an insurance carrier through the investment of premium dollars.
  3. The employer does not have to pre-pay for coverage, thereby providing for improved cash flow.
  4. The employer is not subject to conflicting state health insurance regulations/benefit mandates, as self-insured health plans are regulated under federal law (ERISA).
  5. The employer is not subject to state health insurance premium taxes, which are generally 2-3 percent of the premium's dollar value.
  6. The employer is free to contract with the providers or provider network best suited to meet the health care needs of its employees.

http://www.siia.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4546

Glenn Quagmire said:
Wow. Your ignorance in the way a self-insured company works is astounding.

You are not ready for management at all...unless they just want get rid of you. They can't do that easily right now since your in the union, but if you make the jump to management, all bets are off.
No he's certainly not quite ready for prime time.

Back