Help! Got My Mda Recall Letter Today!

MAA, like Express, wears the same tired old uniform everyone wears but with the added shame of "Express" printed on the wings- yes, you'll be toting around a mainline manual and be expected to be current on all of the bigger aircraft you used to fly, but you have to wear Express wings.

All of the MAA F/As had thier old uniforms so have been squeezing into those for now or buying new ones at full price. Thankfully those coat dresses have a little bit of stretch in them.

Now that the contract is finished, there will be a new "points" system to be used for replacement items. I would think they will just return the old uniforms to the folks who were terminated after 9/11.

Oh, and congats to those who got thier letters! Its not the best situation, but like everything, there are alot of great things to go along with the bad. Its what you make of it. Welcome back to the crazy skies! :)

The MDA Pilots no longer will have Express wings nor hat emblems, so that one part might have changed for the F/A's as well

Rico said:
The MDA Pilots no longer will have Express wings nor hat emblems, so that one part might have changed for the F/A's as well
[post="167008"][/post]​

Really? I wasnt aware of that. Is that starting soon or already? Hopefully they'll follow suit with the F/As.

I dont mean to put down Express employees with the wings comment, but alot of crewmembers take great pride in thier wings, and to have them "downgraded" is a huge insult. Its one thing to say it in the plane, but those folks earned thier place as US Airways pilots and F/As and should be able to wear the wings they earned, especially since they are still somewhat responsible for mainline.

Customers dont see the Express on the wings anyway, its just a small thing that would go a long way towards morale... just like putting on a smart uniform in the morning instead of the hokey navy pallbearer suit.

Wouldnt it be nice if everyone could work for the same company, instead of all of the mess of companies and divisions? It sure seems like the successful airlines US talks so much about (WN and B6) dont have "Express" employees or contracted airlines under thier brand. Even if theres different contracts or aircraft, it should still just be US Airways. There has to be something to the feeling of being on a team rather than competing parts of a "franchise".

One more thing about uniforms at MDA... rumour is they are VERY STRICT about uniform guidelines, picture Steven Wolf and Impressions of Excellence, and the F/As do actually take it seriously which is a nice change.

Rico said:
[post="167008"][/post]​

Well, since the F/A's have a me-too clause, I would think that MDA express wings would be out and the originally-earned wings from mainline would be in. Pitbull, am I correct?

ktflyhome said:
Was told today, MAA is NOW totally separate from Mainline. In every sense of the way.
[post="167023"][/post]​

Welcome to the wonderful world of US Airways! MDA is separate when it's convenient for management (i.e., ability to unilaterally change wages, benefits, and work rules) and a part of mainline when that's convenient and prestigious.

Trouble is, passengers still think of express as old Cessna turboprops and having to be bussed out to the tarmac to catch their flights.

ktflyhome said:
Was told today, MAA is NOW totally separate from Mainline. In every sense of the way.
[post="167023"][/post]​

Mid Atlantic operates off the mainline certificate, it is not seperate.

Any idea how many people are still waiting to go to class from this last round (the people originally offered June-August classes)?

I was trying to figure out exactly when they would start putting the people that just got their letters over the weekend through, especially if there are still people waiting to go to class from the last bunch.

Thanks for all of the great info! :)

Air conditioned said:
Any idea how many people are still waiting to go to class from this last round (the people originally offered June-August classes)?

I was trying to figure out exactly when they would start putting the people that just got their letters over the weekend through, especially if there are still people waiting to go to class from the last bunch.

Thanks for all of the great info! :)
[post="167137"][/post]​

They are puting together September through December classes with the current round of offers (September will probably be awarded and notified next week). Then they will go back through the seniority list and make the second round of offers to those who passed their first round. Those folks will have only two options: (1) accept now or (2) pass permamently. They will have no further MDA opportunities.