Help! Got My Mda Recall Letter Today!

I was told by a fellow Furloughee, that a F/A he knows very well just went through MDA Training, and she had to be requalified on all of the doors for the Mainline Aircraft as well. (737, 757, 767, 319/20/21) Is this true? If so, why (since MDA F/A's cannot even jumpseat on Mainline anyway)? The only thing I could think of was that perhaps MDA F/A's need to be re-qualified for those aircraft because MDA F/A's are given the same Manual as Mainline F/A's?

Does anyone know anything about this?

The EMB170 is certified under the USAirways mainline operating certificate and is a "division" of mainline. Also, for a seamless "follow-through" from MDA back to mainline, it was decided to re-qualify MDA F/A's for mainline aircraft as well. Just as the mainline F/A's are qualified on the EMB170 that they never fly. The MDA F/A's are allowed jumpseating rights on all aircraft for mainline but only the MDA F/A's that were hired at mainline. If MDA begins to hire off the street then those F/A's will not have mainline rights or jumpseat privileges.

Here's another question...

Does anybody know how many F/A's are currently waiting on a Training Class?

My Bid Letter asks that I bid on upcoming classes for September, October, November and December.

Does anyone know if any of the next four months of Training Classes have been filled yet?

By my calculation, if there are about 24 F/A's in each class and they are scheduled every two weeks, we have approximately 200 more F/A's being trained for MDA this year from September through December. Is this correct?

flyguy121 said:
I was told by a fellow Furloughee, that a F/A he knows very well just went through MDA Training, and she had to be requalified on all of the doors for the Mainline Aircraft as well. (737, 757, 767, 319/20/21) Is this true? If so, why (since MDA F/A's cannot even jumpseat on Mainline anyway)? The only thing I could think of was that perhaps MDA F/A's need to be re-qualified for those aircraft because MDA F/A's are given the same Manual as Mainline F/A's?

Does anyone know anything about this?
[post="166614"][/post]​

MDA is alot more "mainline" than originally intended. You fall under all of the mainline policies and procedures with a few exceptions. The F/A Emergency Manual has a new section for the EMB 170, as does the P&P. MAA F/As (techinically US Airways Inc Embraer Division F/As) are responsible for every aircraft on the mainline certificate. (I'm not sure if the A330 is included because some bases werent qualified on it, so if you arent, they wont teach you it new). They can indeed occupy a jumpseat on any US Airways aircraft, but may not assist in any duties. Mainline F/As will begin to be qualified on the E170 in the next few months. The company opted not to put an extra jumpseat on the E170 so the jumpseat issue doesnt apply on the 170.

Training is your basic mainline recurrent, the same program everyone goes through, and then EMB training is like any standard new aircraft training. Depending on how long you've been furloughed you may have to attend requalification too. So training will be either three days or five days, followed by a base meeting and compliance check.

For classes, 24 per class every two weeks is about right. The August classes are people mostly senior to the people who graduated in July, so September's classes may still be senior. For example, the most junior MAA F/A may remain there for the next two months as senior people come in above them. Its hard to judge since people have the option of classes to choose from. If a large percentage of the remaining furloughees say no, maybe everyone will be back by December, if alot say yes, then they may be pushed into the new year.

Another Important issue...

Regarding The Return of the VF's in December...

How will the VF's return in December impact the Training Class Schedule for December? Will they be eligible to bid on the Training Classes in December?

For example, if I am awarded a December Class, could I be bumped out of my class by someone retruning from Voluntary Furlough?

Not real sure about that one, USAirBoyA330 might have an answer on that one.

I can tell you that once you're back at MAA, you can't be bumped out. You can be pushed back and boack though, so it's probably better to get in as soon as you can.

At this point, you're looking at 98/99 furloughees- either on or at the cusp of A scale. They may or may not even opt for MAA. Theres also the 25 active mainline F/As that may voluntarily take an MAA position to offset furloughs, which isnt much but still something.

When will the entire MDA contract be posted?

A few questions in the meantime...

1. Will MDA F/A's be alloted buddy passes?

2. Can MDA F/A's have companion designations like mainline?

3. Hypothetically, if a mainline F/A is furloughed in December and opts to take furlough pay, will he/she be given another opportunity to bid MDA?

DCAflyer,

The contract will be posted as soon as the final language is written. I'll take a guess..sometime at the end of August early sept.

I believe all term pass policies are the same throughout the company as term pass policies are company wide policies.

With regard to furlough pay...great news.....there is NO offset. So if you are INVOL furloughed and eligible to collect serverance pay, you can still come on board with MAA and be paid.

The neg. committee negotiated that, and held steadfast until the very end when the company finally conceded.

Pass priveleges are the same as all other US Airways Group employees

*Employee
*Spouse or domestic partner, or if single you may choose a Registered Companion
*Children, if none then parents
*8 buddy passes

Furloughees had all of the above except the registered companion option and the buddy passes, so it wont be anything new. They will however return to S3 status (instead of S4 which is furloughees and contract carrier employees) and be eligible for cabin jumpseat and other airline travel.

US Group employees no longer pay the yearly term pass fee.

PITbull said:
DCAflyer,

The contract will be posted as soon as the final language is written. I'll take a guess..sometime at the end of August early sept.

I believe all term pass policies are the same throughout the company as term pass policies are company wide policies.

With regard to furlough pay...great news.....there is NO offset. So if you are INVOL furloughed and eligible to collect serverance pay, you can still come on board with MAA and be paid.

The neg. committee negotiated that, and held steadfast until the very end when the company finally conceded.
[post="166767"][/post]​

Thanks, Pitbull... and thanks also to the negotiating committee. Those folks did a great job.

-DCAflyer

I am also on MAA recall and curious as to uniforms. Since all of those in our class were first told we were "terminated" (later to become invol. furloughed), we were required to turn in all of our uniforms. Does this mean we will receive those uniforms back or is there a different uniform for MAA? What if we do receive the old ones back and they don't fit? :( Will we be charged for new ones? Sorry to seem ignorant - just been out of the loop for too long.
Thanks in advance for any replies and also for all of the great posts above! :)