HIDDEN FEES

You get two bags for free still.

The only people I know of that the new bag charge for employees affected was those that were moving and shipping their boxes and those that were shipping things on a weekly basis that they shouldnt have been shipping (fish). It wasnt their personal items (which is what your baggage is supposed to be). They were shipping things instead of using cargo. In the past, this was done probably a lot more, but its not a perk of the job. They get cargo discounts, but free shipping hasnt been a perk in many years (and wasnt really supposed to be one back then either).

John John- a question for you on having compassion and being taken advantage of. Where do you draw the line?
At US now you don’t management is all about spreadsheets matrix no human factor. Fee already collect by other airline maybe but like you said not worth it. Experience seasoned employees makeing a call does not exists the stepford agent has become the norm

Reactions: 2 people
The fee wasnt collected by the other airline because she was too late to check in with them with bags. She told me she had $60, then LIED to the other agent that she had no money. The AA agent shook her head no when the lady said someone at AA told her she didnt have to pay for bags. She lied again. She finally paid and went on her way, but I have to wonder what story she told the AA agents to get them to endorse the ticket (or maybe they just wanted her and her drama gone?).

I understand the need to have empathy and compassion at times, but that isnt a waive all right. If you want to get on the bandwagon and be that way, then dont be surprised when called into the office.

Also, I just want to make a mention that following the rules doesnt mean that I'm not compassionate. I donate time and money in other ways where I know they will be used by those who need it or when I feel like giving where my income source isnt a factor. We have a supervisor at work who is a softy and has been caught using his cc at times. He is probably making close to $10 an hour and paying for peoples bags. While I think its great he is willing to do this, I also dont think that is always the best choice. I can guarantee he's been taken advantage of more than once.

I've just become aware that lots of people seem to have "a story" when it comes to traveling now and paying for the services. I'm really sorry (fill in the blank with what tragic story happened), but I am required to collect the money. If you feel like you have a valid issue, please contact consumer affairs and they will evaluate the situation. If that doesnt work then they are welcome to speak to a supervisor/manager and they can decide how to handle it.

Reactions: 2 people
sport equipment ?
Why not 4 bags up to 100lbs
Take care of the military and family but not the employees

Seriously? What is the hangup with waiving the military charges? If they arent on orders they only get 2 (like the employees) and their families arent waived (unlike the employees) so are we gonna waive theirs now too so the employees and military are equal? The military guys on orders are more often than not on high $ govt fares to begin with. Its not like they bought the $69 cheapo and we're waiving.

The company can set up any requirement or waiving on the bags they want. First Class, military, Preferred. They could even say we waive for any wino moving to Florida for the winter so we can help the little man if they wanted, but thats not a big demographic that will ultimately contribute to the bottom line, so I dont look for that one to happen.

What do you take on vacation that you need so many bags for?

The abuse of using baggage privileges to ship things is probably what brought this about. We had an agent shipping fish ( 8 to 10 coolers) every week to their family out west. They werent traveling, just shipping the fish. This is not using the baggage system for employee travel as designed. They were caught MANY TIMES doing this. They also had the fish break open which ruined bags that the company had to pay for now that they were fishy and the TSA wasnt too happy at times either.

While we're at it, lets make employee baggage unlimited so we can set up some shipping businesses on the side and sell space like they were selling buddy passes. This certainly should be a perk of working for the airline?

Reactions: 1 person
What do you take on vacation that you need so many bags for?
sport equipment
College dependant
Relocation
Commuting
Gifts for/from family and friends

What is your hang-up on seafood?
Ever go fishing or hunting on vacation and want to bring the meat back home.

Callaway believes employees and customers will exploit any reasonable attempt to provide a compassionate response to situations so that they have ruined it for those who are truly in need. Callaway also believes that taking personal responsibility has been eroded in America and replaced with an entitlement mentality that demands something for nothing as a new way of life.

I have a novel idea, why don't we ask everyone to pay their own way in life and stop demanding to be treated special because we think we can get away with it if we put enough guilt on someone else to pay for our failures?

I agree and this is true also to a point. But I still feel there are certain very rare situations where a station supervisor should have the power to make a decision on good faith or provide other options.

Reactions: 1 person
The fee wasnt collected by the other airline because she was too late to check in with them with bags. She told me she had $60, then LIED to the other agent that she had no money. The AA agent shook her head no when the lady said someone at AA told her she didnt have to pay for bags. She lied again. She finally paid and went on her way, but I have to wonder what story she told the AA agents to get them to endorse the ticket (or maybe they just wanted her and her drama gone?).
I've just become aware that lots of people seem to have "a story" when it comes to traveling now and paying for the services. I'm really sorry (fill in the blank with what tragic story happened), but I am required to collect the money. If you feel like you have a valid issue, please contact consumer affairs and they will evaluate the situation. If that doesnt work then they are welcome to speak to a supervisor/manager and they can decide how to handle it.

So you think the lady in the story could be lying and had the money all along

Are you worthy of fees being waived
Not sure what you mean by this, but two points:

1. I have an American Express Platinum Card, and Amex refunds up to $200 worth of ancillary airline fees per year (on the airline of my choosing). I pay for this and the other Amex benefits via my annual fee.
  2. I am a Million Miler on US (and close to one on DL) and therefore have lifetime Silver status. But, I earned that and the requisite benefits of having no bag fees after spending well into the six figures on tickets with US over many years.
However, this to me is beside the point. The fees are well publicized. I pay them on airlines other than US and DL. It's life now. People need to understand that. You want free checked bags? Start flying 25,000+ miles per year on a given airline. Or fly Soutwest. Or buy a credit card that offers a benefit like Amex. I've flown enough to see the theatrics from all types of people. Agents shouldn't be put in a position to figure out whether a given person's theatrics are "real" and thus warrant special treatment against company policy. I have a lot of respect for agents who simply follow the policies while also treating passengers with respect.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure what you mean by this, but two points:

1. I have an American Express Platinum Card, and Amex refunds up to $200 worth of ancillary airline fees per year (on the airline of my choosing). I pay for this and the other Amex benefits via my annual fee.
  2. I am a Million Miler on US (and close to one on DL) and therefore have lifetime Silver status. But, I earned that and the requisite benefits of having no bag fees after spending well into the six figures on tickets with US over many years.
However, this to me is beside the point. The fees are well publicized. I pay them on airlines other than US and DL. It's life now. People need to understand that. You want free checked bags? Start flying 25,000+ miles per year on a given airline. Or fly Soutwest. Or buy a credit card that offers a benefit like Amex.
I will take this as a YES
On your Million Miles on US and DL
Ever had a fee waived

I will take this as a YES
Ever had a fee waived

No. Fees don't apply to certain types of travelers (based on fare class, status, etc.). This is not a fee being waived -- the fee never applied in the first place since we've essentially paid for the checked bag via other means (by buying a first class ticket, by spending/flying a certain amount, etc.).

No. Fees don't apply to certain types of travelers (based on fare class, status, etc.). This is not a fee being waived -- the fee never applied in the first place since we've essentially paid for the checked bag via other means (by buying a first class ticket, by spending/flying a certain amount, etc.).
Ever had special treatment on company policy.