HIDDEN FEES

I disagree with the subject. These are not "hidden" fees. The fees are published all over the place. You can't buy a ticket these days without being notified that ancillary fees exist. I don't fault US for this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/terri-weissinger-trapped-in-airport-for-week_n_1072608.html?ref=san-francisco&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C109707
" because she purchased her ticket before a new federal law went into effect requiring ticket brokers to disclose all hidden fees,"

What do you expect them to do ?

Take Trail ways.... Oh but wait... it costs way more...? Oh well.... just pay the freaking fee... it is still cheaper...

PS Put some clothes on too... cuz I would appreciate it if you dressed properly...
but on Trail ways you don't have to cover your breasts...

Reactions: 1 person
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/terri-weissinger-trapped-in-airport-for-week_n_1072608.html?ref=san-francisco&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C109707
" because she purchased her ticket before a new federal law went into effect requiring ticket brokers to disclose all hidden fees,"

"Hidden Fees" do exist and many airlines do not do a good job of transparency in communicating their fee policies. US is neither the best nor the worst when it comes to fee transparency. US Airways CAN be very rigid when it comes to exceptions and frankly if I were at the ticket counter I'd be quite skeptical of her story as it sounds bogus at best. Turned out it wasn't.

The bottom line IMO is that airlines need more fee transparency and customers need to be better consumers.

The Military member gets to go out and patrol sniper and roadside bomb infested areas to get that bag fee waived. All in all I bet the Military guy would rather pay the bag fee and waive the combat patrol.

Well, then he can leave the military, go get a private sector job and pay the fees then if he feels that way. We're at least 30 years from the last time we weren't an all volunteer military...

I have a novel idea, why don't we ask everyone to pay their own way in life and stop demanding to be treated special because we think we can get away with it if we put enough guilt on someone else to pay for our failures?

What an awesome idea! Let's start with US Airways themselves. They can stop this tax avoidance scheme anytime they want, and start paying their fair share by listing bag (and all other) fees as the revenue it actually is. As things now stand, however, airlines that do this will continue to slurp up what amounts to non-taxable welfare until congress steps in and does something about it, which from what I understand, is on the agenda.

For the record, I fully realize that US is not the worst in this regard. I single them out only because they happen to be the airline at issue here. Nevertheless, this practice is simply ridiculous and there really isn't an excuse for it.

If this person had purchased a ticket with Southwest she would have not had any bag fees. Her trip would have been completed day one.

Indeed. Unfortunately, legacy airlines that do this are immensely and consistently profitable whereas since WN does not do this, or charge change ticket fees, they are on the brink of bankruptcy, are constantly laying people off, and flirt with CH 7 on an annual basis, since no one wants to fly them...

Either that or the exact freakin opposite... Can't remember which ;)

I'm calling BS on this story, and I've seen it posted in several places. She booked the ticket on Orbitz, so obviously she's online. One can also conclude that she's a regular internet user as she's comfortable buying the ticket online. Now, does anyone REALLY think she doesn't EVER watch TV and NEVER sees news reports online? No. Which also means shes seen all the publicity about the fees over the past several years, including the recent press with Congress passing laws on the subject. Maybe she's having some hard times, but she is NOT ignorant of the fees. Everyone gets fifteen minutes, these are hers.