Holidays coming

It's the way of the world. We do NOT want to screw our passengers during a holiday but when you are working for a company that truly does NOT care about it's employees, it makes it a little hard to want to be here and miss out on valuable time with your loved ones. YES this is the terms we agreed to when we got hired but that does not excuse the fact that we are not appreciated in ANY way. It is basically "how it is" or you leave. Your health and family are most important... sorry but USairways comes last. As for stranding our passengers, if workers of a city garage company goes on strike guess what, YOU DON'T PARK. I'm not saying I approve of people not working on the holidays but I understand why. Sitting on a snow blowing ramp loading bags for a half running operation at a company that couldn't care less about you while your little ones are opening presents without you? Right or wrong I can not blame those folks.

As the holidays fall upon us we all need to remember the wonderful checks our top executives cashed in. I spoke to Doug in an airport and can assure you he will do nothing to help your wages. I have never felt so disrespected in my whole life. All of us need to stand together and send a message

Did you ever wonder what kind of message you need to send?
I can only say that they will only understand this kind of aggressive behavior.

Just do your JOB no matter how long it takes…………….

Actually the company will not understand this type of aggresive behavior..it happened in 2004 with the Christmas meltdown and they still don't get it.

If they did, they would offer TIME AND A HALF SYSTEM WIDE to those who work the holidays. I think a lot of employees would be falling all over themselves for the extra cash.

Even if it cost the company an extra hundred thousand bucks (or whatever the number would be-it wouldn't be in the millions)to the employees wouldn't it be worth it to not have another holiday debacle ????

I was in F/A recurrent training in October and some F/A that I didn't know asked me if I was going to call in sick over the holidays as all the RSVs are going to in PHL cuz their sick of the system. I told him I am a 20 yr. RSV based in PIT and no I hadn't heard that. At least now I know I'll probably be called over to cover PHL trips as usual during the holidays. Feel like I should be packing my bags already.

And yes, I will be doing my job no matter how LONG it takes---remember folks SAFETY FIRST even if it takes a while longer.

Don't pack your bag. You don't have to. You are in control of what you do, not the company. This is about YOUR family. YOUR Christmas. YOUR Thanksgiving.

When the company starts treating its employees like family then maybe it will be worth the sacrifice. Until then, family first. YOUR family.

pilot

Sorry folks, but I kinda see Doc's point.

No one wants to ruin a passenger's trip, but being screwed by management time and time again eventually leads up to either a job action or a devil-may-care attitude toward attendance and/or job performance.

Some of us who go above and beyond daily may honestly need to reevaluate our zeal and consider represssing our Superperson tendancies and replacing them with the bare minimum, yet adequate performance.

Management wants "cost neutral". Maybe we should consider "effort neutral" in response. The desire to avoid "profit neutral" might spur Tempe into action. Stockholders don't keep executives when the stock becomes "value neutral".
WELL SAID
...doc is not out there trying to say lets stick it to our co workers---they are saying lets be heard!!! They are not saying lets screw the pax....whats being said is lets stop making everything appear so rosy....cuz it aint!

Don't pack your bag. You don't have to. You are in control of what you do, not the company. This is about YOUR family. YOUR Christmas. YOUR Thanksgiving.

When the company starts treating its employees like family then maybe it will be worth the sacrifice. Until then, family first. YOUR family.

pilot

As somebody who relies on you every time I have to see my family, are you saying I should rely on somebody else this holiday season?

Will you kindly tell us where you work so we can do our best to screw you in regards to the holidays?
You're not getting anything else until 2012 so get over it. No matter what you do, it isnt going to matter. :up: :down:

Time and time again management reaps the benefits of labors dedication and hard work.
As usual, management will see big bonuses while labor works the holidays for Doug's so called "Market Rates" at straight time.

I couldn't agree more with the statement,
"You're not getting anything else until 2012"
Because the BOOT LICKERS that think every member of labor should be thankful for the opportunity to grovel at the feet of management for any crumbs that Doug might drop, will make it so.

Maybe there are still some people that work at US Airways that feel their hard work and dedication should be worth something more than a bonus for their manager.

linemech

Unbelievable!

Doc, the most important thing in anyone's life is their family. Thanksgiving and Christmas are meant to be shared with family. I heartliy encourage anyone with ANY sense at all to share these most important days with their families. All 24 hours of each of these days.

You've got it exactly correct Doc. Anyone who works for LCC, whether it be ramper, pilot, flight attendant, gate agent, etc... needs to respect the company precisely as much as the company respects them. Needs to respect their job as much as the company respects their job.

Anyone who reports to work on these most important family holidays, giving up priceless time with children, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.... just plain doesn't get it.

You aren't working for Herb Kelleher or someone who repects and values employees. You're working for a company who doesn't repect employee OR customers. The ONLY thing the company respects is money. It's way past time for the employees to start costing the company money. And costing them customers will cost them money. As regrettable as that is. So be it.

I can't believe some of the posts I'm reading here.

Pure stupidity.

As I said at the beginning:

Unbelievable!

pilot

I'm with you, pilot. Late push, late arrival. Easy. Burn more gas. Easy.

Why would anyone care about a "nice" landing since we gave up so much. Easy.

I make a PA about trash. Any person leaving a mess will not leave the aircraft until they clean up. period. Seems fair to me. I mean, have the Feds arrest the bastard that leaves a mess and refuses to clean up. Dick them big time. What will it take for the employees to establish a modicrum of integrity?

I'm on board. I can discount the weak richards (Ouch, don't mean to imply those in CLT have anything that can be considered "hard", what few they might be) in CLT, but, what about the rest?

The other alternative is to try to find something outside the airline business to make more money. I would like to suggest some employees seriously look into this alternative and talk to some fellow employees who have moved on and see how green things are on the other side.
In the meantime, why on earth do you want to screw the customers AND your fellow employees who will have to clean up your sh*t? The big guys are going to be enjoying the holidays with their families and arent going to care what you're up to. The only people who do care are the ones who pay your paycheck and have to work with you. Keep up the good work! :up: :down:
I moved on to greener pastures this past August and let me tell you its amazing!!!! I've been there less then 3 months and we have had 3 employee appriciation lunches, a cost of living pay raise and i have off from dec 23rd thru jan 2nd. I am so glad I left USAir....But i still agree with Doc, Earn 'em and Burn 'em baby!!!!!

I make a PA about trash. Any person leaving a mess will not leave the aircraft until they clean up. period. Seems fair to me. I mean, have the Feds arrest the bastard that leaves a mess and refuses to clean up. Dick them big time. What will it take for the employees to establish a modicrum of integrity?

A "modicum of integrity"?

How about a model of insanity?

I'm with you, pilot. Late push, late arrival. Easy. Burn more gas. Easy.

Why would anyone care about a "nice" landing since we gave up so much. Easy.

I'm on board. I can discount the weak richards (Ouch, don't mean to imply those in CLT have anything that can be considered "hard", what few they might be) in CLT, but, what about the rest?

Business Terms
Directory > Business > Business Terms
Integrity

"Quality characterized by honesty, reliability, and fairness, developed in a relationship over time. Customers and clients have much more confidence when dealing with a business when they can rely on the representations made."

Sabre-rattling should be directed towards upper management and the accountants that watch the bottom line, not the customers.

Will you kindly tell us where you work so we can do our best to screw you in regards to the holidays?
You're not getting anything else until 2012 so get over it. No matter what you do, it isnt going to matter. The other alternative is to try to find something outside the airline business to make more money. I would like to suggest some employees seriously look into this alternative and talk to some fellow employees who have moved on and see how green things are on the other side.
In the meantime, why on earth do you want to screw the customers AND your fellow employees who will have to clean up your sh*t? The big guys are going to be enjoying the holidays with their families and arent going to care what you're up to. The only people who do care are the ones who pay your paycheck and have to work with you. Keep up the good work! :up: :down:

Has nothing to do with "screwing the customer". They have already been screwed. It has everything to do with the individual employee asserting their professionalism.

This mgmt will have nothing to do with enhancing the USAirways experience. They count on the frontline employees to do that. It is way past time for the employees to assert themselves.

Stand up or get out!

Business Terms
Directory > Business > Business Terms
Integrity

"Quality characterized by honesty, reliability, and fairness, developed in a relationship over time. Customers and clients have much more confidence when dealing with a business when they can rely on the representations made."

Sabre-rattling should be directed towards upper management and the accountants that watch the bottom line, not the customers.

You are truly a no-load idiot. I can confidentally state that you have never worked a day in your life. Only a no-load mgmt type could ever make a statement like you did.

Watch as the union makes a no-load like you actually have to work, for once.

As somebody who relies on you every time I have to see my family, are you saying I should rely on somebody else this holiday season?

Maybe. It all depends on how you look at the situation. Would you be willing to take another airline and help send the message that you don't want to support an airline that refuses to pay its employees decent wages and treat them as members of the human race instead of replaceable parts? Or would you only take another airline because of the fear that you might not make it home?

I hope the word "supporter" in your avatar includes those on the front lines everyday who make your trip safe and comfortable, not just those who collect the cash and answer to the stockholders.

Has nothing to do with "screwing the customer". They have already been screwed. It has everything to do with the individual employee asserting their professionalism.

This mgmt will have nothing to do with enhancing the USAirways experience. They count on the frontline employees to do that. It is way past time for the employees to assert themselves.

Stand up or get out!
You are truly a no-load idiot. I can confidentally state that you have never worked a day in your life. Only a no-load mgmt type could ever make a statement like you did.

Watch as the union makes a no-load like you actually have to work, for once.

I have worked a few odd jobs throughout my life. If you are referring to my statement regarding not taking your extreme anger out on the customers, I think that is the professional way to handle things. You did use the word professional, but I do not think you know the meaning of the word. If you are a pilot with Usairways, you have a responsibility to represent their pilots and the profession with a little more class, dignity and less profanity.

Maybe. It all depends on how you look at the situation. Would you be willing to take another airline and help send the message that you don't want to support an airline that refuses to pay its employees decent wages and treat them as members of the human race instead of replaceable parts? Or would you only take another airline because of the fear that you might not make it home?

I hope the word "supporter" in your avatar includes those on the front lines everyday who make your trip safe and comfortable, not just those who collect the cash and answer to the stockholders.

I am a staunch supporter of those on the front lines. However, I also support those in the management office, especially those who don't have a VP title next to their names and have less job security than those under what little protection a union contract affords these days. Also being in the business world, I understand the need for executive compensation as it is. But that won't stop me from supporting those on the front lines.

I am cutting my Thanksgiving trip to a short two days so that I can be at work the rest of the time, allowing some of my management employees to have time with their families. I just have to travel 800 miles to see mine. If an airline messes with that, it'll just happen one time. I won't go back for seconds. I've put up with a lot from US... lost bags, cancelled flights, occasional rude employees, dirty planes, and the like, but have always thought the positives and the good people outweighed the negatives. The previous Christmas meltdown didn't impact me, even though I flew over a dozen segments on US during that period. But mess with my limited family time and you won't see me again. I've got 400K left in my FF account, and I wouldn't even bother burning it.

The company I'm at is a 24/7/365 operation. I tell new hire employees coming in that a.) we are 24/7/365, b.) holidays are regular working days, albeit with slightly reduced staffing, and c.) scheduling is seniority based. This year we're so understaffed that I approved 6 out of 52 leave requests for the entire day of Thanksgiving off. That's the nature of working somewhere that operates every day. Airlines are the same. If you don't want to work holidays, don't work for an airline.

If you want to use it as an opportunity to grandstand and make it so others can't spend time with their families, so be it. But you'll lose this loyal customer who has spent his own time and money showing appreciation to the people of US, and last year spent $500 out of his own pocket buying gift certificates for all of his flight attendants, pilots, and gate agents last Christmas.

Thanks for your reply. Let me address your paragraphs individually.

I am a staunch supporter of those on the front lines. However, I also support those in the management office, especially those who don't have a VP title next to their names and have less job security than those under what little protection a union contract affords these days. Also being in the business world, I understand the need for executive compensation as it is. But that won't stop me from supporting those on the front lines.

Excellent! I applaud you for having a set of principles and standing by them unequivocally. Thank you for voicing your support for the front-liners.

I am cutting my Thanksgiving trip to a short two days so that I can be at work the rest of the time, allowing some of my management employees to have time with their families. I just have to travel 800 miles to see mine. If an airline messes with that, it'll just happen one time. I won't go back for seconds. I've put up with a lot from US... lost bags, cancelled flights, occasional rude employees, dirty planes, and the like, but have always thought the positives and the good people outweighed the negatives. The previous Christmas meltdown didn't impact me, even though I flew over a dozen segments on US during that period. But mess with my limited family time and you won't see me again. I've got 400K left in my FF account, and I wouldn't even bother burning it.

Again, I'm glad to see that you are serious and willing to take the good with the bad. But I'm curious: If an airline "messes" with your family time, who exactly at the airline would incur your wrath? The airline as a whole, or some select group?

The company I'm at is a 24/7/365 operation. I tell new hire employees coming in that a.) we are 24/7/365, b.) holidays are regular working days, albeit with slightly reduced staffing, and c.) scheduling is seniority based. This year we're so understaffed that I approved 6 out of 52 leave requests for the entire day of Thanksgiving off. That's the nature of working somewhere that operates every day. Airlines are the same. If you don't want to work holidays, don't work for an airline.

In my case, as it has been since I began with US, I will be working the holidays this year barring a possible, but legal, work action. I have no issue with your denial of 46 employee day-off requests. That's just how it goes sometimes.

If you want to use it as an opportunity to grandstand and make it so others can't spend time with their families, so be it. But you'll lose this loyal customer who has spent his own time and money showing appreciation to the people of US, and last year spent $500 out of his own pocket buying gift certificates for all of his flight attendants, pilots, and gate agents last Christmas.

Okay. So this is the point where we see things quite differently.

If the "grandstanding" you are referring to includes a possible employee strike, then I cannot agree with your previous statement that you support the frontline employees. Legal job actions are not meant to inconvenience customers for their sake alone. They are a way to deal with a company by the employees until an agreement can be made to solve the problem that caused the job action in the first place, which you should well understand in your position within your company. It is unfortunate that it affects customers, but if the marketplace can support the migration of employment, it most certainly can do the same for flyers (e.g. other airline choices).

If you are referring to calling off for scheduled shifts only to show displeasure and not for legitimate reasons, then I can agree with most of what you said in your previous paragraphs, with the sole exception again being your support of the frontline employees. Here's why: Remember when I asked who would incur your wrath? In all of your statements, my opinion is that there are simply too many inferences to hourly, front-line employees to ignore. The same employees who might "mess" with your family time and "grandstand" by calling off work.

Now, I have a hard time trying to see you apply the same standards above to the management and non-titled salary employees you seem to have respect and empathy for at the airline. It's not because I believe those people would be unable to arbitrarily call off for illegitimate reasons, because quite frankly it happens more often than many would like to think. I would rather submit that those in the salaried positions, who tend to be in administrative roles that don't directly deal with passengers and immediate operations, only affect the outcome of the operation through prolonged absence, not the short term type that happens when an employee (pilot, f/a, ramper, gate agent) calls off from work. Perhaps an exception to this assumption could be the work of crew schedulers, but as I am unsure of their salaried or hourly status, I can only speculate.

My post is only to argue the merits of what constitutes "grandstanding" and who it applies to in your statements. It's not meant to belittle your post, only to encourage you to clarify who it was directed toward. I personally appreciate your loyalty to US Airways, but I do hope you can see where I come from as a loyal, yet skeptical employee.

Latest posts

Back