How does CO prepare for hurricane?

TravelDude

Advanced
Nov 21, 2003
I belive back in the late 90's when CO relocated the headquarters to a high rise in downtown they also relocated their system operations control (side question, is that what CO calls their operation nerve center, I know some airlines have different names).

So the question being with a mandatory evacuation of IAH, what has happened to their SOC?
Have they located to a back up center?
If so, where is the back up center located?

Another aspect I have a question about, I assume they flew all aircraft out of IAH, is this true?
Are most of those aircraft moved to the hubs or just at out stations with the crews on extended layovers until the storm has passed?

Thanks...curiousity as it is a major storm hitting the nerve center and hub of a major airline.

Oh yeah, any other interesting tid bits about CO storm response anyone want to share?

Oh wow, a bunker! Below ground thou, hope high enough it does not get buried in storm surge water. Lots of pics of the bunker, but like 2 or 3 pics of the actual CO stuff. GREAT FIND on your part.

Anybody else know anything more?

Related to my initial questions, anyone else know more about how CO prepared...did they move the SOC, in the article posted above it says in level 3 they would relocate to old bomb shelter, this one was only a level 2.

Curious.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080913/clsa004.html?.v=38

Press Release Source: Continental Airlines

Continental Airlines Assessing Impact of Hurricane Ike
Saturday September 13, 1:39 pm ET
- continental.com provides latest flight information and operations summary
- Newark and Cleveland hubs continue normal operations

HOUSTON, Sept. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) is currently assessing the impact of Hurricane Ike at its facilities, including its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), its headquarters building in downtown Houston and other Houston facilities such as maintenance and reservations.
The airline is also working closely with the Houston Airport System, as well as city and county emergency management officials to assess the area's critical infrastructure.

Once this assessment is complete, Continental will update employees, customers and other stakeholders, regarding the status of its operations.

As previously announced, Continental suspended flights in and out of IAH through Saturday.

Change flights at continental.com for no fee

Customers scheduled to travel to, from or through the Houston hub are encouraged to postpone or reroute their trip without penalty to avoid possible inconvenience.

Customers booked on flights in the affected region are permitted a one-time date or time change to their itinerary without penalty for rescheduled travel. If a flight has been canceled, a refund in the original form of payment may be requested. Complete details are available at continental.com.

The fastest and most convenient way to change travel plans is via continental.com. Customers should enter their confirmation number and last name in "Manage Reservations." Customers may also call Continental Airlines reservations at 800-525-0280 or their travel agent.

continental.com provides an overview of Continental operations as well as up-to-date information regarding the status of specific flights. Automated flight status information is also available at 800-784-4444.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Continental Airlines

HaHa...Seems I am one of the few to add to this topic that I started myself, hmmm, maybe I should take a hint ;)

Anyways, here it the latest update:

Continental Airlines Suspends Houston Flights Sunday; Change Flights at continental.com for no Fee
Saturday September 13, 7:50 pm ET
- Regional airline service at Houston also suspended

HOUSTON, Sept. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) has suspended operations at its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) through Sunday, Sept. 14, due to the condition of airport facilities and related infrastructure in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. Continental Express and Continental Connection flights are also suspended through Sunday.
The airline is working closely with the Houston Airport System, as well as with city and county officials to reactivate the airport.

Continental currently plans to begin flights at the hub Monday morning, Sept. 15. Employees from other domestic locations are positioned to fly into Houston to assist their co-workers in restarting operations at IAH.

Change Flights Fast at continental.com

HaHa...Seems I am one of the few to add to this topic that I started myself, hmmm, maybe I should take a hint ;)

Anyways, here it the latest update:

Continental Airlines Suspends Houston Flights Sunday; Change Flights at continental.com for no Fee
Saturday September 13, 7:50 pm ET
- Regional airline service at Houston also suspended

HOUSTON, Sept. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) has suspended operations at its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) through Sunday, Sept. 14, due to the condition of airport facilities and related infrastructure in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. Continental Express and Continental Connection flights are also suspended through Sunday.
The airline is working closely with the Houston Airport System, as well as with city and county officials to reactivate the airport.

Continental currently plans to begin flights at the hub Monday morning, Sept. 15. Employees from other domestic locations are positioned to fly into Houston to assist their co-workers in restarting operations at IAH.

Change Flights Fast at continental.com

IAH is still closed. The power feed to the airport was restored, but there was a huge surge, and it damaged some equipment.

The Houston ARTCC and TRACON are on back-up generators.

Houston is devastated. The cost of this thing is going to be "Katrina-like", due to the number of people affected by the storm.

Continental Airlines to Resume Flights Monday at Houston; Change Flights at continental.com for No Fee
Sunday September 14, 7:56 pm ET
- Houston hub begins operations
- Passengers and airport employees not affected by Houston curfew
- Employees from other locations to fly to Houston to assist co-workers at hub

HOUSTON, Sept. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) is preparing to resume mainline jet flights Monday, Sept. 15, at its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) following the carrier's suspension of operations Saturday and Sunday in Houston due to Hurricane Ike. The carrier plans to operate the vast majority of its schedule to and from IAH. The first flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:33 a.m. and the first departure is at 6:30 a.m. Continental Express and Continental Connection flights to and from the Houston hub will operate at a reduced level on Monday.
Continental employees from other domestic locations will fly into Houston to assist their co-workers in resuming operations at the IAH hub.

Normal operations will continue at the carrier's New York and Cleveland hubs.

In a message earlier today to Continental's 44,000 employees, nearly 20,000 of them Houston-based, Larry Kellner, Continental's chairman and CEO said, "I know that my co-workers have gone through many sacrifices and hardships to try to return their personal lives to normalcy after Hurricane Ike, and they've helped each other and our customers in that effort. I want to thank them for all they've done. I also want to thank our customers, many of whom are sharing the same personal and professional challenges, for taking the time and effort to express their understanding and gratitude to our team.

As always, make sure your personal safety and the safety of our co-workers and customers is your top priority."

Passengers and Airport Employees Not Affected by Curfew

The Mayor's Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security has informed Continental that the curfew currently in effect for the city does not apply to customers or employees driving or being driven to and from IAH.

Check Flight Status at continental.com

The aftermath of Hurricane Ike may force some delays and additional cancellations of scheduled flights to or from the Houston hub on Monday, and there will be modified food service on some flights. Customers are encouraged to check the status of their flight at continental.com before going to the airport. Travelers without confirmed same-day reservations should not go to IAH as the airline will not be able to accommodate itinerary changes or standby customers at the airport.

Impressive!

-They did relocate the SOC
-Excluding IAH (which was closed), 84% of flights arrived on-time over the weekend
-Only 3 flights were canceled over the weekend that were not related to the hurricane

Continental Airlines Having Success With Houston Hub Reactivation
Monday September 15, 4:27 pm ET
- Passengers and airport employees not affected by Houston curfew
- Employees from other locations fly to Houston to assist co-workers at hub

HOUSTON, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) has resumed a comprehensive flight schedule at its Houston hub at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. All terminals at the airport are functioning, and Continental is providing frequent flights for travelers originating, arriving or connecting at IAH.
Today Continental (including mainline, Continental Express and Continental Connection) has more than 500 departures (and an equal number of arrivals) scheduled at the Houston hub. Continental employees from other domestic locations have flown into Houston to assist their co-workers in resuming operations at the IAH hub. Normal operations are also continuing at the carrier's other hubs.

Taxi availability at IAH is plentiful, and the Houston Airport System is reopening its consolidated rental car facility today. Travelers should check on hotel accommodations in Houston unless they already have confirmed arrangements.

Weekend Operations During Hurricane

Houston-based Continental succeeded in operating globally throughout the hurricane thanks to effective advance preparations. The airline's operations center was temporarily relocated away from downtown Houston in accordance with the business continuity plan. On Saturday and Sunday, although the Houston hub was closed due to the hurricane, the remainder of Continental's system operated extremely well. During the two-day period, 84.1 percent of Continental flights arrived on time and the airline had only three cancellations unrelated to the storm.

In a message yesterday to Continental's 44,000 employees, nearly 20,000 of them Houston-based, Larry Kellner, Continental's chairman and CEO said, "I know that my co-workers have gone through many sacrifices and hardships to try to return their personal lives to normalcy after Hurricane Ike, and they've helped each other and our customers in that effort. I want to thank them for all they've done. I also want to thank our customers, many of whom are sharing the same personal and professional challenges, for taking the time and effort to express their understanding and gratitude to our team. As always, make sure your personal safety and the safety of our co-workers and customers is your top priority."

Passengers and Airport Employees Not Affected by Curfew

The Mayor's Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security has informed Continental that the curfew currently in effect for the city does not apply to customers or employees driving or being driven to and from IAH.

Check Flight Status at continental.com

Customers are encouraged to check the status of their flight at continental.com before going to the airport. There will be modified food service on some flights.

Change Flights Easily at continental.com

Customers booked on flights to, from or through the Houston hub and in the affected region are permitted a one-time date or time change to their itinerary without penalty for rescheduled travel. If a flight has been canceled, a refund in the original form of payment may be requested. Complete details are available at continental.com. The fastest and most convenient way to change travel plans is via continental.com. Customers should enter their confirmation number and last name in "Manage Reservations." Customers may also call Continental Airlines reservations at 800-525-0280 or their travel agent. continental.com provides an overview of Continental operations as well as up-to-date information regarding the status of specific flights. Automated flight status information is also available at 800-784-4444.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Continental Airlines

Latest posts

Back