How many jobs will AA outsource?

usa1 said:
I can see the company convincing CWA leadership to keep mainline agents in a handful of large cities and everyone else falling under Envoy. For agreeing to it the company allows the CWA to represent Envoy, increasing overall union dues for them and saving the company money. Basicly hub employees will top out around $27.00 an hour while most the rest at Envoy top out around $17. The company and union make out fine, while most agents take another cut.
[/quote
In Section 6
Change of control grievance
DOH non-rev boarding grievance
Profit sharing keeps coming

john john said:
And the IAM leadership at United led the way for outsourcing in the industry
Actually I think AA led the way for outsourcing in the mid-1990s.  They outsourced all ground handling at 30 of their smallest stations like RST.  In the late 1980s, mainline AA was starting Customer Service Agents at $5.00 an hour (minimum wage at the time).  Apparently outsourcing that work cut their costs even more.

B727guy said:
 AA was starting Customer Service Agents at $5.00 an hour (minimum wage at the time).
I would like to take issue with this comment. Starting at minimum wage is fine if there is a future in the job. Benefits, future earning potential, and future career opportunities should be considered. 

I remember when I started AA in 2000 minimum wage was $5.15 an hour and they started employees at $7.00. Not a bad start at the time for a non skilled job that had full benefits and good earning potential (though this position lacked in career opportunities). 

To me the problem never was the starting pay........ it was AA having a 9 year top out (longer if you were in junior fleet).

9 years to top out is ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination... that is roughly 25 percent of most peoples working career. The TWU membership should have demanded that be done away with long ago.

Minimum wage was raised to $5.15 an hour in 97.

That is equivalent to $7.49 in 2013 which is a net loss of $0.24. It appears the minimum wage is sliding backwards...... but not by much.

In a standard 40 hour work week that comes out to be $38.40 a month in 2013 dollars. 

If anything minimum wage should go up by about 40 cents or so for a total of $7.65 an hour. A far cry from the $15.00 an hour the left was trying to sell. 

Don't feel too sorry for people choosing to make a long term minimum wage job with no future their livelihood. Instead of applying themselves and trying to do better they live on minimal effort and entitlements.

They CHOOSE to work for minimum wage. Remember that. They are all to happy to hold their hand out for for a portion of YOUR paycheck.

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully the war on the middle class stops soon. A good sign it might is the Republicans plan to make it the center piece in the next election.

The airlines have been allowed to consolidate and are making record profits. Now it's time to move some money around, and not by taxing companies and handing out EBT cards. Pay the hard working people of this once proud industry. It's time to stop the outsourcing and build our middle class back. Our country is on the line.    

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
I would like to take issue with this comment. Starting at minimum wage is fine if there is a future in the job. Benefits, future earning potential, and future career opportunities should be considered. 

I remember when I started AA in 2000 minimum wage was $5.15 an hour and they started employees at $7.00. Not a bad start at the time for a non skilled job that had full benefits and good earning potential (though this position lacked in career opportunities). 

To me the problem never was the starting pay........ it was AA having a 9 year top out (longer if you were in junior fleet).

9 years to top out is ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination... that is roughly 25 percent of most peoples working career. The TWU membership should have demanded that be done away with long ago.

That is equivalent to $7.49 in 2013 which is a net loss of $0.24. It appears the minimum wage is sliding backwards...... but not by much.

In a standard 40 hour work week that comes out to be $38.40 a month in 2013 dollars. 

If anything minimum wage should go up by about 40 cents or so for a total of $7.65 an hour. A far cry from the $15.00 an hour the left was trying to sell. 

Don't feel too sorry for people choosing to make a long term minimum wage job with no future their livelihood. Instead of applying themselves and trying to do better they live on minimal effort and entitlements.

They CHOOSE to work for minimum wage. Remember that. They are all to happy to hold their hand out for for a portion of YOUR paycheck.
This is the fundamental problem with the working class people in America, we fight each other because of political beliefs. You are allowing politicians, who don't give a crap about us, to get us to fight each other. When the working class figures out how to band together for the good of all of us, then things will change for the better.

Reactions: 6 people
La Li Lu Le Lo said:

Nobody CHOOSES to work for minimum wage, it's easy to say things like this when you got lucky and have a relatively good paying job. You state a fleet service clerk who started in 2000 made $7.00/hr and you are fine with that because in a few years he will be making quite a bit more. You aren't happy that it will take 9 years but it is what it is and now he's (you?) making twenty something, has health benefits matching 401K, sick time etc. So what happens to the guy who has 20 years with a wife and 3 kids suddenly finds out his airline decided to contract out his fleet service job. Well it's too late to go back to school, he has  house and car payments, kids need braces and his septic tank just clogged up. I know, he can just go find another job that pays 20 something/hr with benefits. Good luck with that since you admitted that what he has done for the last 20 years is unskilled  work. The days of going to work in a factory and making a fair living are gone, all that's left are minimum wage jobs for the rest of his life, that is, unless he can come up with some sort of marketable skill and lets face it, at least 30% of the people in this country will never be able to write computer code, repair a car, wire a house or practice law no matter how much they try. Some people are just not capable of acquiring those marketable skills (not saying you, but I'm sure you've met a few people like that).  I'm pretty good with my hands and I understand mechanical and electrical things so I fix planes but I'd rather be a physicist. Unfortunately all of the schooling in the world won't make me a competent one, my mind just doesn't work that way. I'm lucky I have the skills I have, I wish I had more but it wasn't meant to be. Others aren't as lucky as myself. Those people will be forced into walmart type jobs and have to collect food stamps and subsidized health care because you just can't make ends meet on that pay. Everything a conservative hates.

You advocate "Conservatives (of which I am one) SHOULD fight to privatize airport jobs." So you have no problem contracting out someone else's job to some company that will pay 1/4 what he's making now and offer no health insurance. You'd be voting for Hillary if it happened to you.

Reactions: 3 people
saywhat said:
This is the fundamental problem with the working class people in America, we fight each other because of political beliefs. You are allowing politicians, who don't give a crap about us, to get us to fight each other. When the working class figures out how to band together for the good of all of us, then things will change for the better.
Band together for the good of all of us.......

A liberals idea of banding together for the good of all of us is a massive redistribution of wealth. Some of that is necessary but we passed that line long ago. Now it is nothing more than a tool to buy Democrat votes.

Why would I band with someone who wants to attack someone for being successful and rewards someone for choosing to be a parasite.

Reactions: 2 people
Record profits here  .... everyone who works for an airline should be compensated at a level where one day they can buy a home, raise a family, and help their kids get a good education. That is what it will take more of to turns our nation around. 

Politicians, they are all the same, self serving, R or D behind their name. Part of the problem. 

Liberal, conservative, are people still running around with those arguments? Democrats and Republicans are one big happy party. Neither of them cares about the middle class. Not even a little bit.

Zom JFK said:
Liberal, conservative, are people still running around with those arguments? Democrats and Republicans are one big happy party. Neither of them cares about the middle class. Not even a little bit.
Wrong. I know who my enemy is: Republicans. Those who would wipe unions off the planet by outlawing them at every level. 
If you are a member of a union and you are voting for and supporting Republicans, you are killing yourself.
Republicans not only want to outlaw unions, but they also want to take away all your 'entitlements' and make it legal for your company to do away with high-cost compensation items, like your health care. Look what happened to pensions in the last two decades.
Democrats might not have all the right ideas, but they do not want to destroy my livelihood, my standard of living, and my retirement.

PullUp said:
Wrong. I know who my enemy is: Republicans. Those who would wipe unions off the planet by outlawing them at every level. 
If you are a member of a union and you are voting for and supporting Republicans, you are killing yourself.
Republicans not only want to outlaw unions, but they also want to take away all your 'entitlements' and make it legal for your company to do away with high-cost compensation items, like your health care. Look what happened to pensions in the last two decades.
Democrats might not have all the right ideas, but they do not want to destroy my livelihood, my standard of living, and my retirement.
What did I say to imply I am a Republican? The Democrats are just as phony though. If you think they are going to lift a finger to help union causes you are delusional. Who signed NAFTA? Who ordered the pilots at AA back to work 10 mins into their strike? What has our current president done for us? Where were they while all the things you mention happened to us? Keep waiting for the Democrats to help and watch the middle class disappear.
PS I am not a Republican!

Reactions: 5 people
PullUp said:

Wake up? Thats all Obama care is, and the R's and D's are faking a fight about it. They both want it. Its going to allow companies to get out of health care ins and give it to the government. In some strange crazy way, it's just more outsourcing, Your health care to some know it all government employee in Washington. 

Reactions: 1 person
Not a single Republican voted in favor of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) yet it's because of Obamacare that my union's Cadillac plan is under attack.  Not saying that Republicans are anyone's friend, but know thy enemy.   

PullUp said:
Just to play a little devils advocate here.
Let's assume you are correct , Dems really rock for unions.
Where have the Dems been these last few years , while they were in a position of power, and we at AA were taking huge cuts ?
And fast forward to today, the NMB is sitting on their hands on a decision for ground worker unions that would take any 7th grade reading level person to determine who the bargaining unit should be. We are now SIX MONTHS and counting for a decision from the NMB.
And while they sit and spin, we lose money, daily.

Thank God our powerful union is affiliated with the Dems , seems to be paying huge dividends with all that union dues bought influence.

Reactions: 5 people