How Soon Till U Is Broke?

hack73

Advanced
Jan 17, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I cannot believe that all of the attention given to Southwest in Philly.They are only starting out with 14 flights,and gate space is at a premium.The best promotion that the genuises out of CCY can come up is pizza and carwashes!How about adequate staffing so that people don't have to wait 4 hours for their bags!US Air is adding 40 more flights in PHL next week,and they are not adding on any additional help to accomadate this.
By the end of summer,with ATC delays and misconnect luggage,we will bury ourselves.Their is no way on earth that PHL can handle all of the additional air traffic that is coming.I hope that I am wrong,but I don't think so.Who knows,maybe Baldanza has an in on the pizza concessions!

oh lets not forget the west coast that we gave up!!!!!! and also may be not having the paychecks into the station on time as we are now experiencing! and they want us to take more pay cuts----yeah right

If USAirways would just "slow down" on the purchase of RJs, we would have shown a profit for mainline. Once again, they are in a hurry to go further into debt, but not until they take every livable penny from the employees to subsidize this RJ endeavor.

U is FAR from broke.

WILL FOLKS PLEASE READ THE 10K report!

Hey PitBull, I just wanted to say congratulations.......I have just rec'd my REPORT, havn't read the FINE print yet, I'm working on it..... :eek:

Pitbull,
I think any progress is good progress, and no I dont think they should pay for RJs with my paycheck or anyones. I do on the other hand think that RJs would be more proffitable than the egg beaters. Just the maint cost alone will even most things out. Did you know that we dont pay repair cost for most of the parts replaced in the next 2 years some even longer than that. Almost every part that breaks is covered under warranty.

JOBHUNTING said:
Pitbull,
I think any progress is good progress, and no I dont think they should pay for RJs with my paycheck or anyones. I do on the other hand think that RJs would be more proffitable than the egg beaters. Just the maint cost alone will even most things out. Did you know that we dont pay repair cost for most of the parts replaced in the next 2 years some even longer than that. Almost every part that breaks is covered under warranty.
I should hope the parts are warranted. Geezus, its a brand new plane.

PITbull said:
If USAirways would just "slow down" on the purchase of RJs, we would have shown a profit for mainline. Once again, they are in a hurry to go further into debt, but not until they take every livable penny from the employees to subsidize this RJ endeavor.

U is FAR from broke.

I did read it pitbull and I agree 100% Usair is draining all the profits away from mainline essentially to pay for Midatlantic. I'm not a Wall St. guru, it seems to me something like this ought to be illegal or at the very least immoral.

Didn't Lornezo drain off assets from Eastern to give to Continental? Wasn't that his big downfall?

Seems I remember something like that. Does anyone have the facts?

Dea

hack73 said:
US Air is adding 40 more flights in PHL next week,and they are not adding on any additional help to accomadate this.
By the end of summer,with ATC delays and misconnect luggage,we will bury ourselves.Their is no way on earth that PHL can handle all of the additional air traffic that is coming.I hope that I am wrong,but I don't think so.Who knows,maybe Baldanza has an in on the pizza concessions!
Where did you read that we were adding 40 additional flights to PHL this week? We did add a FEW flights as a competitive response to WN's flights, but not 40. This is copied from theHub, "May 2, US Airways increases flight frequencies on the five routes from Philadelphia that Southwest intends to begin on May 9. We've added two daily flights to Chicago O'Hare for a total of eight; and two to Providence for a total of seven. One daily flight is being added to Orlando, Las Vegas and Phoenix for a total of 10, 6 and 4 respectively."

There are also other big changes in store for PHL (also quoted from theHub):

In operations, we have been seeking creative ways to eliminate airfield bottlenecks. An analysis found that we had not been fully utilizing the secondary runways, particularly by regional jets and turboprops, which meant that these aircraft added volume to already crowded primary runways. We've identified those aircraft that can use the secondary runways, established goals for each US Airways Express carrier and have begun measuring usage on a daily basis with improving results. We have also started an initiative for mainline jets to take off and land on one of these secondary runways.

Furthermore the flight schedule for May has been revised so there will be more separation time between the most congested banks, and increases to certain minimum connecting times. In terms of manpower, the equivalent of 40 full-time employees is being added, primarily on the ramp, but also at the gates and ticket counters. Station management has changed, as has the management structure to be more responsive to the shifting needs of the daily operation. Also, additional self-service check-in kiosks have been installed in the walkways from the parking garage to the terminal, the international ticket counter and at US Airways Express; more electric carts are being added; and PHL's wheelchair allocation has been increased about 20 percent.

Finally, a project to improve baggage handling for international recheck bags and bring redundancy and reliability to our B-C baggage system kicked off last week. A project to refurbish waiting room seats is nearly complete, and over the summer, we will be improving the appearance of our B and C gate areas with new carpeting, wall coverings and other enhancements.

These are all positive steps and are what we have been crying for all along. We definitly need more of this type of thinking system wide

They really need to put some carpet down on the ramps going to the end of B & C. Sometimes I think I am going to go flying down those ramps. They can be pretty slippery.

Although, I remember PHL years ago. It has come along way. And no offense to the Agents, but I have seen some incredibly weird get ups worn by some. I saw an agent once with black high top combat boots on. :lol:

PITbull said:

U is FAR from broke.

Argh, Pitbull, do your synapsis work? How can you be so BRILLIANT in perceiving reality and diagnosing a situation over the past couple of years and SO TOTALLY incapable of making a logical conclusion???? !

You have convinced me that you're observations about

a) the ATSB and the industry is using the loan process and cost cutting to lower the labor bar for all the carriers.

B) that U was probably trying to get less productive more senior employees to 'decide it's a younger worker's kind of job' by being hardaxx

c) that U is trying to get the employees to pay for the transformation that U should have made 10 years ago.

BUT, DUH!

NOBODY ELSE IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT. WHY? Because they don't have to and they don't care!!!!

Why, loan U money, when you can loan it to the competition that has already the right business model? Don't you think that U's competition is going to BLEED U dry if they know that U doesn't have the $$$$ to outlast other carriers' ability to go without yield? And when I mean $$$$ I mean $$$ from employees cuz it's not coming from anywhere else, unless U can demonstrate it's staying power (see above) See the double bind.

And I haven't even mentioned the fact that U might lose whatever political support it has from small communities Congressional delegations when it reduces service from LGA/DCA/BOS to pudunk NY/NE/NC whatever AND the crazy idea that staff at CCY will be chained to their desks doing their jobs to keep you employed after they take the paycuts that you think are just. You can't force them to stay, because they did not choose this rediculous seniority system job-jail.

It makes me think that you DO understand these things, cuz your posts have been so insightful, but you're holding back the truth for political reasons. Why?

The IAM met with Carlos Bonilla, Bush's economic advisor right after 9/11 and Mr Bonilla informed Robert Roach, Tom Buffenbarger and others that airline employees make too much money and the ATSB will ensure to lower that!

Latest posts