How To Fix Us Airways

usairwaysfan

Nov 5, 2003
I have known US Airways employees for almost 8 years. I feel that I know the industry pretty well for a non-airline person.

The company should be fixing their own problems and not asking for the employees for more pay cuts.

Correct me if I am wrong...however, these are the things that I feel could be addressed:

1. Deadheads are a waste of the company's money. They should find a way to minimize them. Perhaps they could learn how to schedule better or be creative. What a concept!

2. Speaking of scheduling better, they waste the flight attendants' and pilots' time by having them sit so much. If they scheduled their employees better, they would be more productive. The company is always talking about how the employees are unproductive. Go figure! How many times does a crew (about to begin a 3 1/2 hour sit) leave a plane and another crew takes their place. There is a good chance that the second crew is just getting off their 3 hour sit as well.

There are too many examples to give here. However, a 4-trip worth 20 hours can be split up this way: day 1 - 7 hours, day 2 - 7 hours, day 3 - 5 hours, day 4 - 1 hour. It's obvious that they can schedule high time days (they're exhausting, but possible). Many flight attendants and pilots live away from their base and struggle to get their time in for the month. There are employees out there who are getting their minimum pay for little flying. Yeah...that's productive. If each day were worth nearly 7 hours, it would allow them to make better use of their time away from home and it would help the company to utilize their staff better.

I look forward to your comments.

If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

Change is a hard thing to accept and most of all it is hard to initiate. The company seems poised to ask for more concessions, when you look at any major company that has successfully restructured they have not asked for concessions from it's employees.
Someone must look at what we have been doing and try something new, is the HUB system working,seems that everyones bags get handled a minimum of 3 times. Is creating a commuter workforce seperate from mailine working? Can anything be done with the fare structure?
Point to point service seems to be working for some airlines, one major airline has integrated it's commuter workforce into it's mainline operation and seems to be doing well. Simpler fare structures also seem to be working well at some airlines.
Management has got to step out of the box and become creative, there are a lot of talented people out there that can come up with a better way.