Los Angeles Terminal Move

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk with Los Angeles station personnel who reported that the US Airways Facilities Department has completed their work and has obtained financial approval for the company to move its operations from Los Angeles terminal one to terminal six. The move will place US Airways gates adjacent to United Airlines international operations.

On the West Coast, US Airways and United Airlines now have co-located gates in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, Las Vegas, and Phoenix.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

LOVDPIEDMONT said:
Any word about the US Airways Club?
Like the one in SFO it's probably history, and B. Ben will charge you extra to use the RCC now.

These guys piss revenue away on a regular basis--"moving in with United" will be no different.

This observer finds it odd that the very poster who started this thread is also of the opinion that US should dump the very codeshare partner they are moving in with in many airports. Ironic, eh?

PineyBob said:
This Clue is not pissing away revenue and I am tracking my travel and club usage closely in order to determine which way to go, purchase the RCC membership or US Club. But the way it was explained to me is that either way US makes out. Hate to say it but this one they got right.
You assume that people will not use the continued gouging of the VFF to not give US any revenue, period. If a US club member does not buy anything, US is screwed. I work with at least half a dozen folks who simply dumped their club membership and moved on.

Moreover, if somebody moves a large chunk of thier business to UA (or anywhere else, for that matter) and US gets $10 4 or 5 times a year, instead of $300 in the form of airfare 10 or 20 times a year, who really comes out ahead?

US, as a result of this (and other customer unfriendly moves) has missed out in around $60k of revenue from me in the past 15 months. And the best part?

I still ride upfront all the time. I still get into the club. US simply gets much less revenue as a result.

I'm not the only one.

Don't defend these morons, Bob. One win in comparison with the titanic F**ups CCY is prone to is a drop in the bucket.

This move is now going to be only a year late. It will also be a bitter sweet one. I for one love T-1 for departures because all we do is push back, turn around and take off. Sometimes they have to hold short and wait for the video to end before taking the runway. However, I will not miss the lines of people standing outside just to get in to security (not that I ever stood in them, as I was not flying SW!) or the lines of people up in the concourse wiating in line at the gate.

I do think that they should have changed their mind and stayed after the announcement by SW that they were coming to Philly. To me, after that the gloves were off, and US should have done all they could to irk SW in LAX by not leaving and keeping them at bay with 10.5 gates they have (4B they use part time). Besides, compared to T1, T6 is a dump.

Any word on SFO?? With US make a move to the North Terminal?? You might assume that right? They need to demo the very old Terminal US is now. It is a real eye sore.

IIRC, they have to finish renovating the old international terminal to free up enough gates to play musical gates.

phllax

I understand your argument regarding the push back. OK T1 is currently in a good shape. Any word on what is happening to CO & DL which are also in T6? Are CO & DL moving? One of the reasons T6 was not upgraded, was that neither CO nor DL wanted to invest money into this terminal. Just in case UA and U are now the only ones to use T6 the condition of this terminal can improve very fast. In addition U could also use the gates at T7 & 8 (all UA).

So who will move in with WN at T1? Is CO going to move in with NW (T?).

And in regard to the clubs, within the STAR Alliance every Club Member can use the other airlines club as long they are on one of that airlines flight at no extra cost. So PAX should not be worried. On International routes if you are in C or F you have immediate access to the clubs and if you are Silver or Gold Members you have certain access to the club.

I cannot help you with regards to the club issue, as I am not a member. When I take the red-eye, I get to the airport 45 minutews before flight, during the day 55, so there isn't much time for clubbing.

If SW has their way, they will be the only tenant in T1

CO is staying in T6, DL only uses 61, 63, & 65, mostly for the morning push and then again for late night arrivals. They are all widebody gates. CO's webstie shows them and Copa using gates 60, 62A, 62, 64, 68, & 69. I am sure that they are not in use all day, although they probably do have at least 4 overnighting aircraft. I do not know if the gates are common use. I think that all of them are widebody capable, so we may finally see the 330.

I think it stands to reason that WN will fight tooth and nail for any gates that come open in T-1.

The problem with lounge access is thusly: currently, UA elites cannot use the RCC unless on an international ticket. I have a plugged nickel that says UA/US members will only be able to use the other's club (without a membership, of course) while on an international trip once US enters Star.

The shame of this is that the LAX and SFO clubs are two of the best in the US system. And, T-6 at LAX and the UA terminal at SFO are hellish for things like a quiet space and/or a workspace for your laptop without club access.

T6 has that awful smokers patio (at least it used to) on the even side just before the down ramp starts.

I checked the DL website, and could find only 2 flights that use T6 on 3/24: 150 to JFK and 178 to ATL.

I also checked CO and they seem to have somewhere in the neighborhod of 22 daily flights (CLE-5, HNL-1, EWR-6, IAH-@10)

I don't know about U, but I am sure there is plenty of space for US and our 13 maximum daily flights in T6, and UA can always take some gates back for mainline use in T8 if things get tight.

Just Plane Crazy said:
And in regard to the clubs, within the STAR Alliance every Club Member can use the other airlines club as long they are on one of that airlines flight at no extra cost. So PAX should not be worried. On International routes if you are in C or F you have immediate access to the clubs and if you are Silver or Gold Members you have certain access to the club.
The problem for us pax is that unless US and UA enter into an agreement allowing US Club members use of the RCC in Terminal 6 - we'll have no club to use. We only get to use the RCC when flying on a same day UA or United Express flight. So when we choose to fly on US (not on a UA flight number on US metal), we lose the club option.

As for the Star Alliance, Gold and Chairman's Preferred, will get use of Star Lounges on international flights, and that will hopefully include UA's RCCs. But for domestic flights, we're losing out with this move, unless things change.