usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Posted on Sat, Mar. 06, 2004

Union, US Airways to talk

Fleet service workers, mechanics to pitch their cost-savings ideas

TED REED

Staff Writer

Leaders of US Airways and the International Association of Machinists agreed late Friday to meet next week to discuss union cost-savings ideas. Talks with the airline's pilots are also scheduled to continue next week.

Wednesday's planned meeting between the airline and the IAM, which represents about 9,500 mechanics and fleet service workers, was arranged after union members at four airports handed out leaflets saying that US Airways unfairly blames workers for its financial problems.

While Wednesday's agenda is limited to the union's cost-savings plan, the meeting signals a thaw in relations between the airline and the IAM, which declined to meet with airline Chief Executive Officer David Siegel last month.

Handing out leaflets at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport on Friday, Gerald Moore said the airline isn't doing anything with the wage concessions it has already secured. "Employee concessions have never saved a company," said Moore, a Greensboro fleet service worker.

Moore said concessions have cut his salary from $22 an hour to $19.64 and his vacation time from five weeks to four annually, with no apparent improvement in airline operations.

The nation's seventh-largest airline, which has its biggest hub in Charlotte, is seeking cost reductions of 25 percent after securing $1 billion worth of wage, benefit and work rule concessions from workers in 2002 and 2003. Pilots have said they will consider cost reductions, but other workers must share the burden.

Randy Canale, president of an IAM district that represents US Airways' 4,500 fleet service workers, said his union's cost-saving ideas can save $80 million to $100 million annually. The ideas include halting the outsourcing of parts maintenance, implementing a joint safety program to reduce injuries and having union workers assume certain management functions.

The union canceled the meeting with Siegel because the two sides could not agree on an agenda. Canale said Wednesday's agenda is focused solely on the cost-savings ideas, which could be implemented in a test program in Philadelphia.

"We want to assist the company, but their answer to saving funds has been to reach into our pockets," he told the Observer. "We're aware that the company is having financial problems, so we're going to have a two-way communication."

US Airways spokesman David Castelveter said the airline is "ready to listen to anything the IAM has to offer on efforts to reduce costs." He said the airline hopes to eventually discuss its full business plan with the IAM.

Meanwhile, pilot negotiators talked during the week about contract changes regarding compensation for regional jets. The airline wants to fly as many as 400 regional jets, up from 100 today. Pilot spokesman Jack Stephan said the talks will continue. "They're progressing, and we're not disappointed," he said.

Pilots have agreed to talk later about details of the new business plan that would allow for cost cuts as US Airways battles low-fare competitors. Low fare king Southwest Airlines will begin flying in US Airways' Philadelphia hub May 9, and investors are trying to raise capital to start low-fare competitors in both the Charlotte and Pittsburgh hubs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i have stated before this would happen despite the naysayers.

PRINT THE TRUTH in your topic,

These are not concessionary barigaining talks, nor contract openers, this is to show the company where they can save money where they do things inefficent.

God forbid you would use facts!

700UW said:

These are not concessionary barigaining talks, nor contract openers, this is to show the company where they can save money where they do things inefficent.

I am convinced this poster’s sole purpose is to stir the pot, and get people kicked off such as myself and others who don't fall in line.

No one is that one sided in their opinions, it's not possible, unless......

Of course this being a forum where opinions are allowed and made, this is just my humble opinion and not meant in anyway to defame, anger or is any form of character assassination whatsoever of any poster, just a dumb poster posting such as__ I__ A__M

Bob,

If the IAM opens any of our contracts they will be voted off the property in a NY minute and they know it!

And the messenger is full of cow patties, he needs to print the truth in his headline, he insuiates the IAM is opening up the contracts when they are just meeting to show they company where they could do business smarter and save money like the IAM has been telling this company for over a year.

Here is the headline and first paragraph:

Leaders of US Airways and the International Association of Machinists agreed late Friday to meet next week to discuss union cost-savings ideas.

700UW said:
Bob,

If the IAM opens any of our contracts they will be voted off the property in a NY minute and they know it!
This is VERY true. The Pit president is in big trouble as it is and will probably be replaced because the membership is so fed up, whether it's his fault or not doesn't matter, emotions are raging at all time highs, he’s there at the wrong time!

700UW said:

The facts. That was exactly a copy from the charlotte observer. If you have a problem with your interpretation of the facts, I suggest you contact The charlotte observer or to verify go to thecharlotteobserver.com. If you continue to not face reality my friend, it will only be more difficult.

700UW said:
Bob,

And the messenger is full of cow patties, he needs to print the truth in his headline, he insuiates the IAM is opening up the contracts when they are just meeting to show they company where they could do business smarter and save money like the IAM has been telling this company for over a year.

Here is the headline and first paragraph:

Leaders of US Airways and the International Association of Machinists agreed late Friday to meet next week to discuss union cost-savings ideas.
cav and 700 ! Once again your at it. FULL OF COW PATTIES 700? How old are you? Why is it that u continue to insult? All i did was copy the link. THAT IS THE EXACT HEADLINE! ARGUE WITH THAT FACT! Cav im sorry you feel you cant control yourself. If you feel I post to inflame what is your excuse? You guys make me snicker ill say that. Its a joy to see you guys constantly bash those who have a different opinion. Bob I agree that article is exactly what it means. Iam and any other union knows THE FACTS! Thats why they will talk and will open the contract. WE have no choice. No matter whos fault it is why we are here . WE ARE HERE!

No it was your naming of the topic, not the observer, but I guess if you could comprehend what I posted you would have read that.

YOUR HEADLINE:

Iam and Us Agree To Talks!

That is what you named the topic and you implied that the IAM is opening their contracts with that headline.

THIS IS THE HEADLINE FROM THE ARTICLE, the Observer got it right, you spun it!

That is the direct headline, the FACTS, not what you posted, maybe you have problem reading?

700UW said:
No it was your naming of the topic, not the observer, but I guess if you could comprehend what I posted you would have read that.

YOUR HEADLINE:

Iam and Us Agree To Talks!

That is what you named the topic and you implied that the IAM is opening their contracts with that headline.

THIS IS THE HEADLINE FROM THE ARTICLE, the Observer got it right, you spun it!

That is the direct headline, the FACTS, not what you posted, maybe you have problem reading?
Union, Usairways to talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the only headline and the rest is a sub title. First all of that wouldnt fit. Theres nothing wrong with saying Iam and company agree to talk. Its the same thing. You like to argue dont you. You feed off of it ? Dude relax and stop trying to twist things to fit your one sided argument.

700UW said:
Let me type it slow since you are having problem understanding.

Y o u n a m e d t h e t o p i c Iam And Us Agree to Talks!

T h e O b s e r v e r  t i t l e d i t :

with a sub headline of:

C a n Y o u U n d e r s t a n d T h e  D i f f e r e n c e ?
sorry i dont see a differenc Would you try one more time and type a little slower please.? The sub title wont fit have you tried it? But its your world so u believe what you wanna. Next?

usfliboi said:
700UW said:

The facts. That was exactly a copy from the charlotte observer. If you have a problem with your interpretation of the facts, I suggest you contact The charlotte observer or to verify go to thecharlotteobserver.com. If you continue to not face reality my friend, it will only be more difficult.
usflboi,

Its a damn newspaper. Get real. These guys are pros at spinning words to imply the opposite of intent.

PITbull said:
usfliboi said:
700UW said:

usflboi,

Its a damn newspaper. Get real. These guys are pros at spinning words to imply the opposite of intent.
All i know to say at this point ( welcome btw) is simply amazing! Im not the one who is "mincing" here. All i did was copy the entire text ! He has a problem with the heading because it doesnt fit his agenda. But oh well !

BOTTOM LINE.........IF the IAM suggests ANY program or ideas no matter what the $$$ savings, if it involves calling back any furloughed employee's it WILL NOT be implemented!!!!! Siegel, Cohen & Co look upon employee's as a liability and not an asset, and wants to rid U of as many as they can!!!!!!!Just received the latest issue of ATW and if you turn to the back pages, the only catagory U leads is that of " most consumer complaints" for their lastest stats!(November). Could that "highly prized" managment team of ours cut a bit too deep?

PITbull said:
usfliboi said:
700UW said:

usflboi,

and might i add,to get people like fliboy to buy copy. :up: