Iam D141 Informational Meetings

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Rather than explain what the membership would be voting on, the IAM (violating the KISS principle) spent their time comparing the 'old' final offer to the new final offer. They took credit for the improvements. Yet while they apparently negotiated, and are putting it before the membership for a vote, they refused to make a recommendation on the proposal - a violation of their by-law. The IAM did not explicitly recommend a yes vote, but they sure put a lot of lipstick on the pig. Tellingly, precious little time was spent giving the membership pertinent information should a strike occur. Perhaps this is because a wide majority (68%, according to one source) of the votes are in the Class I stations.

Whenever tough questions were asked, the IAM answered by blaming the company, making the influence the IAM took credit for appear capricious or arbitrary. When we were advised that PVD and BDL had just been added to the Class I list, even though they do NOT have the flight activity to justify it, a member asked how that came to be. The response was, "the company offered it." Are we to believe the IAM knew nothing about it, or had no input? That the company was suddenly magnanimous? Certainly, less than a transparent answer. One member said his station was 8 flights short of Class I status, and could there some of the same consideration that PVD and BDL got. He never got a straight answer.

Another member pointed out that the effect of the proposal was to outsource senior employees, while junior agents in the class I stations would remain on the job. This due to the fact that most 40-something agents are not going to uproot their family in CHS and transfer to PHL to follow a failing company. The member asked had thought been given to furloughing the junior agents in place, and replace them with a 'C' scale to meet the bogey number. First, the IAM touted the fact agents could transfer to PHL and DCA (interestingly, the same stations the company is touting on this board). Then, the truth slipped out. The GC said, "you can't hit the bogey number with junior agents."

Here, I think it's important to give some history of the out-stations and the IAM. The IAM has a spotty record of supporting fleet service in the out stations.

There are precious few local lodges in any of the 1999 class II stations, or the current outsourced stations. The local lodge decides who goes to training seminars, REGARDLESS of whether they have been elected as stewards or committeemen. Basically, if you do not attend meetings, you are SOL. All well and good, unless your local is hours away, as is the case for far too many members. One local covers 5 states! Added to this was the fact that up through 1999, mechanics ran the locals, and did not welcome fleet with open arms. The PIT mechs refused to seat fleet in their local; fleet was forced to start their local from scratch. Thus, there was much internicine warfare, rather than dealing with the company.

The hubs and class I stations got proper training to enforce the contract, and received district support for their grievances. The out-stations had to fight their locals for training (and the district was well aware of the situation), and received little to no district support for their grievances. There are some locals that, from 1999 to now, had ZERO GRIEVANCES ARBITRATED. Even TERMINATION GRIEVANCES. Even while D142 (the former D141M) grievances in the same local WERE arbitrated.

The out-stations have been an administrative nightmare for the IAM. They have been unwilling or unable to support them. Is it possible that the IAM made a business decision, and cut their losses?

the supposened iam members coming to our city "a mainline express" city on thurs but i am almost sure they cant answer any questions except to say it is the company's fault. i have some tough questions for them but i may not ask it because the iam may just as well kick me out as did happen to my coworker when he worked in avp. i hope the iam gets kicked out from representing us because they have failed us and our dues are up.

boeing787 said:
Send'em all a message.  Just vote NO
[post="239752"][/post]​
I must have been confused about you. I thought you didn't work for US... <_<

I don't but geez did I see you posting stuff on UAL boards? HMM double standards again eh?? Kinda like your ATSB loan. Oh wait here is some more money you can tap into. :down: :down: :down: :shock:

It's not "my" ATSB loan. I don't work for the airlines.

The differences are:
  • I don't have any skin in the game, and thus have no conflict of interest
  • I may discuss rational reasons to vote either way, but I sure ain't gonna tell them which way to go.
Nope. No double standards here. Nice try, though.

The IAM also intimated they had been in contact with the membership during the 'negotiations'.

Let me assure you, they were NOT in contact with locals representing out sourced or class II stations. Nor did they solicit suggestions, or poll the membership.

There was no one from the outsourced or class II stations on the negotiating committee, even though there are several trained members that could have served.

There was no one from class II stations on the Mid-Atlantic committee, even though an office-holding member in good standing from one volunteered to the committee's chairperson.

There was no one from class II cities (all gone, now) that negotiated the 1999 agreement.

Anybody see a pattern here?

Diogenes, pointS well taken. The problems will be well on the way towards being solved this week. The Class I and II stations will vote YES (or already have). The "outsource list" stations will mostly vote YES to get the severence pay and unemployement (otherwise they may get nothing or just umemployment...depending on what their state allows). After the vote, the company can get rid of the senior agents and the IAM will get rid of their problem children. All will be happy! :D

Is the company getting rid of all utility? I heard utility will still clean RONs.

Latest posts