IAM - TWU should split work force

bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Since the IAM has won at USair, and the IBT might not get an election at AA, and we have that moronic rule of joint representation, because the AFL-CIO doesn't want in fighting.

I say at the New American, the IAM gets the mechs and since the TWU has the highest paid rampers, the rampers go to the TWU.

This will not only have ONE union representing ONE work group, the mechs will finally have their OWN representation inside the AFL-CIO, the IAM can be known as the mechanics union inside the AFL-CIO.

Reactions: 2 people
...and what airline does the TWU represent the highest paid rampers? It's not AA!

The joint representation has nothing to do with better representing you or the AMT craft, it is soley going to help the TWU and IAM. Its quite possible that the representation will be worse, because you have more hands involved and different self interestes.

Reactions: 3 people
Since the IAM has won at USair, and the IBT might not get an election at AA, and we have that moronic rule of joint representation, because the AFL-CIO doesn't want in fighting.

I say at the New American, the IAM gets the mechs and since the TWU has the highest paid rampers, the rampers go to the TWU.

This will not only have ONE union representing ONE work group, the mechs will finally have their OWN representation inside the AFL-CIO, the IAM can be known as the mechanics union inside the AFL-CIO.

Bigjets

Are You a mechanic or a ramp worker?

Why not let the rampers decide for themselves who represents them we the mechanics at AA want the TWU gone. There is a lot of us here at AA who would like to see AMFA represent both the USAirways guys and US. If we merge.

If the merger does not happen we are attempting to find out what our recourse is with the IBT backing out of the race. We the organizers at AA who support AMFA are waiting for a ruling on a refile of cards to have NMB give us a vote.

AMFA is a Mechanics union. Facilities/Automotive/Aircraft NO stock clerks or ramp.
NOT that we are better in any way, just we would like to decide our own fate not be in a industrial catch all union.

Bigjets

Are You a mechanic or a ramp worker?

Why not let the rampers decide for themselves who represents them we the mechanics at AA want the TWU gone. There is a lot of us here at AA who would like to see AMFA represent both the USAirways guys and US. If we merge.

If the merger does not happen we are attempting to find out what our recourse is with the IBT backing out of the race. We the organizers at AA who support AMFA are waiting for a ruling on a refile of cards to have NMB give us a vote.

AMFA is a Mechanics union. Facilities/Automotive/Aircraft NO stock clerks or ramp.
NOT that we are better in any way, just we would like to decide our own fate not be in a industrial catch all union.

Go AMFA !!!!!!

I think AMFA might have to do another card drive though, I think it has been close to a year since a lot of us had signed a card.

AMFAinMIAMI,

It looks to me like our counter parts at USAir have no interest in AMFA. They only got 8 write in votes. 2.5 times more people wanted no representation. How do we get past that? ???

AMFAinMIAMI,

It looks to me like our counter parts at USAir have no interest in AMFA. They only got 8 write in votes. 2.5 times more people wanted no representation. How do we get past that? ???

boresight

There was no card drive at USAirways, the guys there were interested in their contract, pension, and the merger. The IBT went there in my opinion to see what would happen, stir the pot a bit. Since there was a drive to replace the TWU at AA, with both the IBT and AMFA.

The US guys have lost so much over there with the IAM and now to take a chance to loose the IAM pension as well. In my opinion if this IAM/TWU assoc. goes thru, they will get screwed again. WE here at AA will as well. The Assoc. wants to merge the two pension programs into one, run by them (assoc). "YES" it may go up but then again down is more the way I see it. If AA maintains it it is frozen NO LOSS. The IAM guys will have their pension frozen if merger goes thru as well since AA is not going to put any money into it, once a joint CBA is approved. Each contract will have to run its coarse.

If we can submit cards either now or by June 1st of 2014 before there is a vote for this assoc. we can rid AA of the TWU as far as representation of the Mechanics. Then we the mechanics of AA will have to go to US stations around their system and tell them what we have been telling everyone here for 15+ yrs that AMFA is the way for us all to go.

It's time for a change, the TWU is looking for help grasping at straws for our help to make this merger happen. Its working with AA as well, so tell me, isn't that what the TWU has been doing since you have been here at AA? Been a company Union?.

The TWU/AA wants us to write the DOJ to benefit who is my question? For us to get the small money that they promised us if we merge. Just what does the TWU Intl. get and what about the $20mil parachute?

AMFA at AA

Reactions: 1 person
AMFAinMIAMI,

That's because AMFA wasn't even the issue here. This time.

The issue was keeping the IBT away so they didn't abandon us like they abandoned you.

Give it some time. And if there is no merger, there will be no AMFA here either.

boresight

There was no card drive at USAirways, the guys there were interested in their contract, pension, and the merger. The IBT went there in my opinion to see what would happen, stir the pot a bit. Since there was a drive to replace the TWU at AA, with both the IBT and AMFA.

The US guys have lost so much over there with the IAM and now to take a chance to loose the IAM pension as well. In my opinion if this IAM/TWU assoc. goes thru, they will get screwed again. WE here at AA will as well. The Assoc. wants to merge the two pension programs into one, run by them (assoc). "YES" it may go up but then again down is more the way I see it. If AA maintains it it is frozen NO LOSS. The IAM guys will have their pension frozen if merger goes thru as well since AA is not going to put any money into it, once a joint CBA is approved. Each contract will have to run its coarse.

If we can submit cards either now or by June 1st of 2014 before there is a vote for this assoc. we can rid AA of the TWU as far as representation of the Mechanics. Then we the mechanics of AA will have to go to US stations around their system and tell them what we have been telling everyone here for 15+ yrs that AMFA is the way for us all to go.

It's time for a change, the TWU is looking for help grasping at straws for our help to make this merger happen. Its working with AA as well, so tell me, isn't that what the TWU has been doing since you have been here at AA? Been a company Union?.

The TWU/AA wants us to write the DOJ to benefit who is my question? For us to get the small money that they promised us if we merge. Just what does the TWU Intl. get and what about the $20mil parachute?

AMFA at AA

Good post.

The IAM doesnt want to merge any pensions, your pension is frozen.

The Alliance will negotiate AA's participation in the IAMNPF.

Dont make up stories.

Don't mislead the membership, there is no guarantee that IAMNPF will be given to AA workers, that has not been negotiated. As I have said since the day it was announced the merger is far from a done deal, US IAM will only stay in the pension if the company agrees. Besides the IAMNPF is so watered down, no way any of the participants could live off the pathetic multiplier. It's such a joke that you keep chalking up this MEPP with a questionable long term viability.

Josh

$86 dollars a month is not water down and the IAM is asking for a $104 a month multiplier and the IAM is the only union at US to have a pension for all three represented work groups.

I didnt mislead anyone, I clearly stated the Alliance will negotiate for it, like the agreements says.

Dont let the facts get in your way, the the M&R at US have only been in the plan for five years.

Like anything else the IAM promises a lot of things are on the table but they never seem to materialize. As it is even for someone starting their career at US in 2008 when participation commenced they'd still have a hard time managing a decent standard of living on IAM pension supplemented with an IRA and 401K along with social security (questionable at best) but you keep chalking this up as the best thing since sliced bread. Many private universities and professional groups offer their participants much better multiplier and vesting schedule, granted those plans have been on the way out but seriously the IAMNPF is nothing to brag about.

Josh

Its the fifth largest multi-employer plan is 105% funded.

Like I said, no other groups at US have a pension except the IAM represented employees.

It's still a joke and won't provide a comfortable standard of living to the plan participants. Beside you guys gave away the store to get the DB plan so the members are forgoing earnings today for a promise of future earnings, even taken a basic finance class and learned about present value and discount rates?

If other participants in the MEPP drop out or do not make their contributions your benefits become at risk. Not the case with a DC plan, while it may be subject to day to day movement in the capital markets the longterm trajectory is upward and the money is yours, not for the plan administrator or employers.

Josh

Latest posts