IAM - TWU should split work force

You're funny, fact of the matter was NWA never fully recovered after the AMFA strike. The scabs NWA hired were the absolute dregs of the industry. I had the misfortune of speaking with some of them, at least the ones that could speak English. The AMTs that decided to stay, knew they had just made a deal with the devil. Purely for survival, and will always hate the company for what they did to them. NWAs tech writers were forced to quite literally dumb down the maintenance manuals - so these scabs could understand them. What was once a pretty good group of AMTs that put out a good product was decimated, and reduced to shite in a matter of months. You speak of AMFA not representing the AMTs from NWA after the Delta merge. Considering the size of the two work groups, the NWA guys were outnumbered by no small margin. Couple that with the fact that oddly enough Delta treats their AMTs with respect, and has always paid them a decent wage - just to keep the unions out - no big surprise the AMFA faded away there - the writing was on the wall.

Reactions: 1 person
How did that work out? There was an IAM Ramper whom refused to do pushbacks at SFO during the NWA strike.
You know, union kinda thing.
What happened to him?
Did the IAM save his job?
HA!

I'm disappointed to hear that. I refused to do them too (and wasn't alone). While I got more grief from the District for that than from local mgmt., formal discipline never really came up...

Unions committed suicide by not banding together!

Truth!

And now we have some Leaders too bothered with empire building or trying to stay in capital's good graces to truly understand what the rank & file wants.

I think we're at (or close to) a tipping point w/r/t that. Some unions will simply have to adapt or die. The more militant/responsive ones will thrive, and the top heavy, sclerotic ones will go the way of the dinosaur...

Good Luck Brother!
Hope it works out for you all!!

Thanks! :)

He is a former stock clerk and lav service man at USAIR, but more importantly has a strong kinship with the IAM. He is an expert on all things in the airline industry-fleet planning, labor negotiations, in-flight service, aircraft maintenance, revenue management, route planning, corporate real estate, the list just goes on and on. Anyone who disagrees with him is ignorant since he knows best. He must have a direct line to Upper Marlboro IAM Grand Lodge, and is very sensitive to any legitimate criticism of the IAM and how they have lowered the standards for all airline workers. And he is so consumed in the business unionist mindset (anything for dues) and believes AMTs are elitist for their desire to receive compensation that recognizes their skill and expertise.

Josh

You forgot to add 'fully trained by IAM at the Winpsinger Education Center' over a five plus year period.

700 keeps boasting that he completed all these seminars at the Winpisinger Center but what value do they add to ones career in the union? Sito has said he plans to focus more on education in the transportation dept and its obvious the Winpisinger Center is a tremendous source of pride for the IAM but what purpose does it serve?

Josh

You don't have vertical movement without the education.

If we vote no union then that means we decertify the iam and the twu. Desertification of unions have to go through the nmb. Same as certifying a union. So its total hogwash if we have a choice of no union. No union is going to risk losing millions of $$$$$$$$$$. I say vote no association and move onto getting both the twu and iam replaced with Amfa. Since the nmb will not be involved in the voting one can only imagine the choices on the ballot.

UAir ramp played that game.....700, tell them how nice the company was after decert.

The following:

1. No more sick time
2. No more OJI time
3. No more vacation time
(all replaced by PDOs, which five of them had to go towards sick time)
4. Outsourced mail, freight and some catering.
5. Froze their pension
6. Downgraded around 40% of the workforce to part-time.
7. Due to downgraded, part-time had family medical raised to $300
8. Express work outsourced
9. Max part-time hours 25 per week scheduled.
10. Split shifts enacted for some full timers
11. Layoffs
12. Forced concessions in pay cuts and layoffs.

The following:

1. No more sick time
2. No more OJI time
3. No more vacation time
(all replaced by PDOs, which five of them had to go towards sick time)
4. Outsourced mail, freight and some catering.
5. Froze their pension
6. Downgraded around 40% of the workforce to part-time.
7. Due to downgraded, part-time had family medical raised to $300
8. Express work outsourced
9. Max part-time hours 25 per week scheduled.
10. Split shifts enacted for some full timers
11. Layoffs
12. Forced concessions in pay cuts and layoffs.

Complete BS

If you don't vote for the association then they won't form one and then they will have to hold an election to determine who will represent you.

These two unions will not walk away from all your dues money just because you don't want to be in a combo TWU/IAM goat frock.

Ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

700 can keep trying to scare you guys that you will lose all union representation, but he is full of it.

They will probably put the choices of both "no to the combo" and "other" just to split all the no votes to win.
Don't fall for it by writing in Amfa or Ibt or anything else.
Just vote NO to the combo.

If these two unions give you no options and force a true decertification, then you will have plenty of options after that to bring in whoever you want to represent yourselves. Amfa, Ibt whoever you want.
But I don't believe these two will truely walk away from the money if they think they may lose this bogus joint election.

The scare tactics will only get worse until they are sure you will vote for their joint combo of the worst two unions to represent aircraft mechanics in the industry.

Complete BS

If you don't vote for the association then they won't form one and then they will have to hold an election to determine who will represent you.

These two unions will not walk away from all your dues money just because you don't want to be in a combo TWU/IAM goat frock.

Ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

700 can keep trying to scare you guys that you will lose all union representation, but he is full of it.

They will probably put the choices of both "no to the combo" and "other" just to split all the no votes to win.
Don't fall for it by writing in Amfa or Ibt or anything else.
Just vote NO to the combo.

If these two unions give you no options and force a true decertification, then you will have plenty of options after that to bring in whoever you want to represent yourselves. Amfa, Ibt whoever you want.
But I don't believe these two will truely walk away from the money if they think they may lose this bogus joint election.

The scare tactics will only get worse until they are sure you will vote for their joint combo of the worst two unions to represent aircraft mechanics in the industry.
Who knows by September 27 the whole Association may be out the window. This was Little, Gless and Videtich's baby. I haven't heard from any Presidents in favor of it, except for the suck boys.

Reactions: 5 people
Who knows by September 27 the whole Association may be out the window. This was Little, Gless and Videtich's baby. I haven't heard from any Presidents in favor of it, except for the suck boys.
I am assuming this might be when the leadership of TWU and IAM will vote rather to join together. But I will still ask, what happens Sep 27th?