Iam Vs Twu Contract

thom

Jun 8, 2005
I work in phx on the ramp and I am on the merger commity for hp to try and bring the two unions together. I was just looking fo some us air guys to get a feel on how they like their union and their curent contract. I was also wondering if there are any rampers who are currently on layoff that could be called back after the merger? Also as far as seniority goes what do you all think would be fair for both unions when combined into 1? Thanks for you opinions, we are just trying to do this in a way where we hopefully almostly everyone will be happy. Thanks

As far as the US Ramp contract goes, the only thing that sucks more is the iam! They haven't cared anything about us since the day they took over. All they've cared about is lining their pockets with our dues. They've negotiated several paycuts for us, and each time they raised our dues. What does that tell you?

The seniority factor is a no brainer. It shouldn't matter which company you were hired by. All that should matter is the date that you were hired. If you were hired on 2/8/2004, anyone hired before that is senior to you. Anyone hired after that is junior to you. If you are currently working for HP, you don't jump ahead in seniority over someone who was hired before you. The same goes for US. Face it, the day you were hired is the day you were hired. Live with that fact. No one is taking any seniority from you, and no one is giving you any. You get the seniority that you have earned from the day you were hired. No more, no less. Falling in line with your hire date is the only way to eliminate arguments. It would be very hard getting along with co-workers that you knew were hired after you, but they get to bid before you because unions couldn't figure out that hire date is the only fair way to go. And it would surely eliminate the possible animosity between the merging workforces.

The IAM is Terrible to put it simple. They have been completely powerless for the past 3-4 years with the company. As I'm sure you know they went along with the companies plan that allowed 20+ stations to be outsourced, leaving many employees with 20+ years to be tossed on the street. They sacrificed the outstations to save their members in the Class 1 Stations. Let's not forget about the contract language that states that If you return to work after 60 days on furlough, you will return at the STARTING RATE of Pay!! How pathetic is that for Union representation, if you can call it that? I would take ANY Union over these dues collecting Clowns in a second. Now I know that a certain few will chime in with their famous line of (The IAM Membership voted Yes for this contract), but the yes votes came from those who were not going to have their jobs outsourced.
I hope that this gives you the answer that you were looking for...

wings396 said:
The IAM is Terrible to put it simple. They have been completely powerless for the past 3-4 years with the company. As I'm sure you know they went along with the companies plan that allowed 20+ stations to be outsourced, leaving many employees with 20+ years to be tossed on the street. They sacrificed the outstations to save their members in the Class 1 Stations. Let's not forget about the contract language that states that If you return to work after 60 days on furlough, you will return at the STARTING RATE of Pay!! How pathetic is that for Union representation, if you can call it that? I would take ANY Union over these dues collecting Clowns in a second. Now I know that a certain few will chime in with their famous line of (The IAM Membership voted Yes for this contract), but the yes votes came from those who were not going to have their jobs outsourced.
I hope that this gives you the answer that you were looking for...
[post="289592"][/post]​
Did the IAM prevent anyone from bumping into a Class 1 station from a outsourced out station ?

Indirectly yes.

Fleet does not have the same bumping rights the mechs have.

A mech can go wherever his seniority will take him. Fleet can bump the junior person on the system.

So, how it played out when 26 stations got sold out was, the company said the bulk of the juniority was in PHL.

Notwithstanding that at the time, CLT had over 100 openings.

So, while PHL was on the list for the agents displaced out of the 26 stations, CLT was not.

The CLT lines were filled off the street AFTER all transfers had been awarded.

While the IAM did NOTHING.

diogenes said:
Indirectly yes.

Fleet does not have the same bumping rights the mechs have.

A mech can go wherever his seniority will take him. Fleet can bump the junior person on the system.

So, how it played out when 26 stations got sold out was, the company said the bulk of the juniority was in PHL.

Notwithstanding that at the time, CLT had over 100 openings.

So, while PHL was on the list for the agents displaced out of the 26 stations, CLT was not.

The CLT lines were filled off the street AFTER all transfers had been awarded.

While the IAM did NOTHING.
[post="289610"][/post]​
diogenes, Thanks for the information...

insp89 said:
Did the IAM prevent anyone from bumping into a Class 1 station from a outsourced out station ?
[post="289604"][/post]​
Also the IAM has the best retirement fund that USAirways pays for.

It's funny, I can go to CWA website to get updates on the America West-US Airways merger with no problem, they are informative. Yet, going to Teamsters website it is absolutely pathetic. All we get is your typical "flyer" crap that is meaningless without any solid information on what YOU are doing to help clarify issues that are huge concerns, especially with the rez center and customer service employees who are working without a definite contract at this time. My understanding is their may be a vote as to which union we are keeping? If that is the case, my reason for not voting at this time for the Teamsters would be how pathetic your communication with us has been!

Now, I do have one extremely important, and I believe very fair question at this time I would appreciate you looking into and verifying for us. I would very much appreciate a timely answer from YOU on this....Rumor-mill stated that Mr Parker mentioned at a town hall in Reno that all employees would be brought up to US Airways payscale because he wasn't going to have employees doing the same job for different wages. Is this true number one? Number 2, if so, will this begin on the day we start answering the phones, "US Airways?" Most of us believe the company should voluntarily offer this. Also, I do question why they keep hiring from the outside for rez instead of offering positions here in PHX or RNO rez centers to laid off US Airway employees? Not sure that makes any sense.

Another thing, the comment on US Airways regarding the outsourced rez centers has me concerned. Mgmt promised us they would not do this, yet it sounds like US Airways mgmt is still all for it and this doesn't leave me (or others when they see that) feeling secure at all!!! My opinion on this is if it is even the slightest bit of a threat, perhaps we should join NW mechanics right now! This all seems to be a smokescreen if you ask me, and the fact that we are getting BS corporate answers (or they seemed to have gotten that according to their article) has got to stop! They should either close down the outsourced centers starting in October when our center starts taking US Airways calls or tell us the truth of the matter on the whole thing. Security doesn't seem to matter to anyone here...that's why I feel strongly that the only sense of security we can have at this time is a continual, logistical, and emphatically strong support from the Teamsters with detailed communication to us on a minimum weekly basis....STOP THE FLYERS! That doesn't TELL me anything I don't already know! GIVE US QUALITY INFORMATION!!!!!!

WHERE IS OUR MERGER INFORMATION FROM THE TEAMSTERS?....that' my flyer for the day!

Rumors can fly throughout this stuff. I believe it is your responsibility to help to hedge these rumors by getting clarification and communicating it immediately to union members!

Just in case this will help, why not forward this information from CWA website to our members....here's the link...this would be somewhat helpful at this point to many employees scratching their heads around here!

http://www.cwa.net/Jumppages/MCCLELLANDjump.asp

echoe1 said:
Now, I do have one extremely important, and I believe very fair question at this time I would appreciate you looking into and verifying for us. I would very much appreciate a timely answer from YOU on this....Rumor-mill stated that Mr Parker mentioned at a town hall in Reno that all employees would be brought up to US Airways payscale because he wasn't going to have employees doing the same job for different wages. Is this true number one? Number 2, if so, will this begin on the day we start answering the phones, "US Airways?" Most of us believe the company should voluntarily offer this.

[post="292216"][/post]​

At a Town Hall, the crowd I was with heard the same thing regarding pay BUT the way we translated it was that everyone was eventually coming down to the HP pay level. Someone asked this question and he replied that we can no longer think in such a legacy mentality. At least, that is the way we interpreted this. drifterreno and her crowd must have interpreted it much differently in Reno. The TWU for fleet service requested during negotiations a temporary pay scale match after the merger until a contract was approved and they were flatly rejected citing that such an increase in pay would violate the ATSB agreement.

echoe1 said:
It's funny, I can go to CWA website to get updates on the America West-US Airways merger with no problem, they are informative. Yet, going to Teamsters website it is absolutely pathetic. All we get is your typical "flyer" crap that is meaningless without any solid information on what YOU are doing to help clarify issues that are huge concerns, especially with the rez center and customer service employees who are working without a definite contract at this time. My understanding is their may be a vote as to which union we are keeping? If that is the case, my reason for not voting at this time for the Teamsters would be how pathetic your communication with us has been!

Now, I do have one extremely important, and I believe very fair question at this time I would appreciate you looking into and verifying for us. I would very much appreciate a timely answer from YOU on this....Rumor-mill stated that Mr Parker mentioned at a town hall in Reno that all employees would be brought up to US Airways payscale because he wasn't going to have employees doing the same job for different wages. Is this true number one? Number 2, if so, will this begin on the day we start answering the phones, "US Airways?" Most of us believe the company should voluntarily offer this. Also, I do question why they keep hiring from the outside for rez instead of offering positions here in PHX or RNO rez centers to laid off US Airway employees? Not sure that makes any sense.

Another thing, the comment on US Airways regarding the outsourced rez centers has me concerned. Mgmt promised us they would not do this, yet it sounds like US Airways mgmt is still all for it and this doesn't leave me (or others when they see that) feeling secure at all!!! My opinion on this is if it is even the slightest bit of a threat, perhaps we should join NW mechanics right now! This all seems to be a smokescreen if you ask me, and the fact that we are getting BS corporate answers (or they seemed to have gotten that according to their article) has got to stop! They should either close down the outsourced centers starting in October when our center starts taking US Airways calls or tell us the truth of the matter on the whole thing. Security doesn't seem to matter to anyone here...that's why I feel strongly that the only sense of security we can have at this time is a continual, logistical, and emphatically strong support from the Teamsters with detailed communication to us on a minimum weekly basis....STOP THE FLYERS! That doesn't TELL me anything I don't already know! GIVE US QUALITY INFORMATION!!!!!!

WHERE IS OUR MERGER INFORMATION FROM THE TEAMSTERS?....that' my flyer for the day!

Rumors can fly throughout this stuff. I believe it is your responsibility to help to hedge these rumors by getting clarification and communicating it immediately to union members!

Just in case this will help, why not forward this information from CWA website to our members....here's the link...this would be somewhat helpful at this point to many employees scratching their heads around here!

http://www.cwa.net/Jumppages/MCCLELLANDjump.asp
[post="292216"][/post]​
you should email this to the Flyteamster.org website and see what response you get.

probably nothing

HPMKE said:
you should email this to the Flyteamster.org website and see what response you get.

probably nothing
[post="297626"][/post]​
I did...no response

I dunno, maybe a sort of consensus can be obtained by voting for the union of choice? It would benifit all if just one union would work for the masses. Airport duties would be covered by just one union, one contract.

goeast said:
Also the IAM has the best retirement fund that USAirways pays for.
[post="290458"][/post]​
I may be wrong but when I looked at IAM website I thought I saw that once you were fully vested into the IAM pension plan you were gauranteed to get something??

If I am correct I still believe that is not enough to vote IAM over TWU.

With CHANGE being the only constant in today's airline industry JOB PROTECTIONS which TWU has this to me means a lot.

The IAM contract locked in until 12/31/2009 and TWU is currently in negotiations for a new contract

Back