Iam Vs Twu Contract

thom

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
I currently work for awa and have been there for about 20 yrs and I am on the merger commity to try and brings iam and twu together. I have seen the contract for iam and with comparing both contracts twu has alot more to offer. I do realize that the pay scale at us air is higher the at awa but we are currently in the process of getting a new contract. The big issue with alot of the rampers is the seniority issue. Since US has been around alot longer then AWA senioity there will be alot higher then at awa. We are trying to figure a way to compine the seniority so that it won't favor on group over the other. We have heard the you use you seniority when you non rev on flts? Is this true or not? We wre also thinking about a globle seniority and a hub seniority and maybe even a station seniority. Plz give me your feed back on what you think is fair for everyone and hopefully we can work together to brings the 2 unions together in a fairly simple way

The only way to do seniority is to dovetail.

And it should be date of hire, plain and simple.

The junior people won't like it, but such as life.

You mean from upstairs and downstairs?

Ain't gonna happen, you have four differant unions on that deal.

CWA-US CSAs, IAM-FSA-US

IBT-CSA-HP and TWU-FSA-HP.

No way will that happen.

Unfortunate and dumb. Better deal all around for everyone.The employees, the company and the union that wins the certification.
The employees, a unified voice.(better benifits)
The union, y'know dues (income/leverage)
and the company, better knowledge of the product, procedures. (efficiency/income)
Win,win,win.

700UW said:
You mean from upstairs and downstairs?

Ain't gonna happen, you have four differant unions on that deal.

CWA-US CSAs, IAM-FSA-US

IBT-CSA-HP and TWU-FSA-HP.

No way will that happen.
[post="290522"][/post]​

Why not? If that is what the people want, lets do it. I know if I was working in a CSA position I would love to be able to bid a ramp position and get away from the passengers for a bit, and if I was on the ramp I'd love to be able to bid a Customer Service position when I get too old to throw bags.

Four different unions, with four different contracts. Cross utilization benifits every one. Ultimatly we all want the same thing, a strong company with great benifits.

It won't happen, the fence is for a reason, how would you do seniority for a CSA who never worked a day on the ramp nor paid dues to the IAM and visa versa a ramper who never worked upstairs nor paid dues to the CWA?

There is some limited cross utilization in the smaller stations and US does not ever utilize it.

I've got 17 years on the ramp bro, and I am in customer service. Not by choice. Now your new hires have seniority over me????? Your still thinking fence. Doesn't matter, time for time. Date of hire.

FWIW, you could transfer between cs and fleet at U until 1999.

Worked out of the same policy guide, answered to the same bosses, etc.

I personally thought it was a mistake to separate fleet and c/s at U.

I don't know if this genie could be put back in the bottle, but if you could, you should.

When I worked for a real airline, we were scheduled ticketing one day, ramp , the next, operations another day, then gates, etc.

There was no "I don't know how to do that" or "it's not my job."

Plus, you didn't dare screw over the guy at the gate, or counter, or wherever, because YOU would be in the hot seat tomorrow.

thom said:
I currently work for awa and have been there for about 20 yrs and I am on the merger commity to try and brings iam and twu together. I have seen the contract for iam and with comparing both contracts twu has alot more to offer. I do realize that the pay scale at us air is higher the at awa but we are currently in the process of getting a new contract. The big issue with alot of the rampers is the seniority issue. Since US has been around alot longer then AWA senioity there will be alot higher then at awa. We are trying to figure a way to compine the seniority so that it won't favor on group over the other. We have heard the you use you seniority when you non rev on flts? Is this true or not? We wre also thinking about a globle seniority and a hub seniority and maybe even a station seniority. Plz give me your feed back on what you think is fair for everyone and hopefully we can work together to brings the 2 unions together in a fairly simple way
[post="290495"][/post]​

Please tell Pat and Jimbo to call IAM District Lodge 141 at 847-640-2222 to ask these questions. It's time those guys showed some initiative and stopped sitting around with their thumbs up their butt. Both need a swift kick in the ass.

We were maybe thinking of of combining the seniority by every second US add the 1 ST HP guy all the way down the line. What do you think about doing it that way? Were just trying to figure a way to have a fair for everyone. If you go by date of hire HP people are going to be at the bottom. Doing it the way I menioned befor shouldn't really upset to may people. Let me know what you thin . THANKS

thom said:
We were maybe thinking of of combining the seniority by every second US add the 1 ST HP guy all the way down the line. What do you think about doing it that way? Were just trying to figure a way to have a fair for everyone. If you go by date of hire HP people are going to be at the bottom. Doing it the way I menioned befor shouldn't really upset to may people. Let me know what you thin . THANKS
[post="290835"][/post]​

I think Pat and Jim need to contact IAM and see what they think. I think that they should travel to PIT, PHL, and CLT and see what US employees think. I don't think asking these questions on an internet bulletin board will yield positive or reliable feedback. Pat and Jim need to stop twiddling their thumbs and get down to the nitty-gritty. Both really wanted those union positions. Both are an excellent example of the old saying, "Be careful of what you wish for or you might just get it." :up:

thom said:
[post="290835"][/post]​

I think you are outta your mind!
Anything but "date of hire" will cause a war!
Mergers create bad blood anyway....giving AWA'ers time they didn't earn will be a disaster.

Just my $.02