IBT/UAL contract rejection, what does it mean to us at AA?

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
As most know the mechanics and related at UAL rejected their contract by 93%. So what does that mean for us? It means we need to support them because their struggle is our struggle and we must be prepared to be active participants in this struggle.

Why the United Struggle is OUR Struggle and why we should commit to support and participate in any actions they partake in.

The United struggle is our struggle, whatever they get the company has already committed to giving us, plus 3%, but ZERO profit sharing (Delta just got 21% profit sharing). (Jim Littles 4% for profit sharing has cost us dearly and they knew that AA was set to be extremely profitable)

Our brothers at United are trying to undo some of the damage that we did to this profession and we owe them at least whatever support they request from us. In 2003, in BK the mechanics at UAL had agreed to a 14% concession, days later we undercut them by giving AA, which was not even in BK a 25%+ concessions package. As a result the 14% was rejected by the company's creditors and UAL demanded more. 

If they organize any demonstrations or rallies we should show up in our Local Shirts and support them as if our careers depended on it, because they do.

If they start an OT boycott so should we. If mechanics across the industry stopped working OT, for just a week, we could send a message that neither the carriers or their puppets in the NMB could ignore. A message that is long overdue.

If our brothers and sisters are granted self help we should refrain from any activity that would allow AA to capitalize on their struggle and refuse OT until their strike is settled. Working OT while they are fighting for something that we would be getting would make us scabs.

The carriers, the courts and the NMB (and even some Union officials) all worked together to rob us of a good career, they robbed us of wages, of Pensions, or Retiree Medical, of company paid medical, of Vacation, of Sick time, Holidays  and so much  more, they didn't do this because the carriers needed these concessions they did this so the greedy bastards could add millions more to the billions in profits they knew were coming. (I'm just a mechanic and I said on multiple occasions that these carriers would be making huge profits, and they didnt need our concessions to be profitable either.) We as workers need to start working together to get it all back because they sure as hell don't need it anymore. Ask yourself is it worth turning down a few OTs to restore your career?  I hope so, one thing for sure is that OT at reduced wages isn't going to make your life longer or better in the long run. 

Reactions: 21 people
Thanks Bob for coming back strong the board has missed your input. Next time you make it out to SFO beer is on me.
Steve Goeyvaerts
SFO A/C Maintenance

Reactions: 3 people
Bob I thought you fell off the end of the earth. Glad to see you back. I am still waiting for a answer to my Question. 

What have you accomplished  since you have been in office. I already know the answer but I want to see if you are the Man some of my friends down here in Miami say you are. Who or What is the REAL problem with Local 591. 

You told me that you believe having 1 local is better than what we had before. If that is true then why did Miami 591 Board Members not support DFW, ORD and JFK when the company was sticking it up there Butts. The Company took everything away from those Locals and sent all the Work to Miami.

Why didn't Local 591 do what you are NOW telling us to all do for United Airlines Mechanics. 

The Truth Will Set U Free.

The Truth Will Set U Free said:
Bob I thought you fell off the end of the earth. Glad to see you back. I am still waiting for a answer to my Question. 

What have you accomplished  since you have been in office. I already know the answer but I want to see if you are the Man some of my friends down here in Miami say you are. Who or What is the REAL problem with Local 591. 

You told me that you believe having 1 local is better than what we had before. If that is true then why did Miami 591 Board Members not support DFW, ORD and JFK when the company was sticking it up there Butts. The Company took everything away from those Locals and sent all the Work to Miami.

Why didn't Local 591 do what you are NOW telling us to all do for United Airlines Mechanics. 

I could say the same thing about the TWU Local 514 but I would die from laughter before I finished 

Reactions: 2 people
Bob Owens said:
As most know the mechanics and related at UAL rejected their contract by 93%. So what does that mean for us? It means we need to support them because their struggle is our struggle and we must be prepared to be active participants in this struggle.

Why the United Struggle is OUR Struggle and why we should commit to support and participate in any actions they partake in.

The United struggle is our struggle, whatever they get the company has already committed to giving us, plus 3%, but ZERO profit sharing (Delta just got 21% profit sharing). (Jim Littles 4% for profit sharing has cost us dearly and they knew that AA was set to be extremely profitable)

Our brothers at United are trying to undo some of the damage that we did to this profession and we owe them at least whatever support they request from us. In 2003, in BK the mechanics at UAL had agreed to a 14% concession, days later we undercut them by giving AA, which was not even in BK a 25%+ concessions package. As a result the 14% was rejected by the company's creditors and UAL demanded more. 

If they organize any demonstrations or rallies we should show up in our Local Shirts and support them as if our careers depended on it, because they do.

If they start an OT boycott so should we. If mechanics across the industry stopped working OT, for just a week, we could send a message that neither the carriers or their puppets in the NMB could ignore. A message that is long overdue.

If our brothers and sisters are granted self help we should refrain from any activity that would allow AA to capitalize on their struggle and refuse OT until their strike is settled. Working OT while they are fighting for something that we would be getting would make us scabs.

The carriers, the courts and the NMB (and even some Union officials) all worked together to rob us of a good career, they robbed us of wages, of Pensions, or Retiree Medical, of company paid medical, of Vacation, of Sick time, Holidays  and so much  more, they didn't do this because the carriers needed these concessions they did this so the greedy bastards could add millions more to the billions in profits they knew were coming. (I'm just a mechanic and I said on multiple occasions that these carriers would be making huge profits, and they didnt need our concessions to be profitable either.) We as workers need to start working together to get it all back because they sure as hell don't need it anymore. Ask yourself is it worth turning down a few OTs to restore your career?  I hope so, one thing for sure is that OT at reduced wages isn't going to make your life longer or better in the long run. 
Bob, why in the world are you agreeing to the UAL plus 3%?  You of all people, I thought, would have very strongly pushed or educated the membership why they should have supported and pushed for UAL or DAL plus 7% as originally promised by AA CEO and later changed to 3% above.  Your 3% above either DAL or UAL acceptance is pathetic, especially without having the PS. The 7% above either DAL or UAL should be the top priority of the union as a starter. Why are all you union guys saying the 3% above is acceptable?  This has bothered me for some time from the moment it got reduced from the 7% to 3% above, and after removing the PS at AA.  If you would run the numbers you would see that the co made out like bandits by for going the PS. Please enlighten us on your thoughts about all this.  BTW, where have you been during your absence from this forum? Very curious...

Reactions: 4 people
Im a UA guy but we are all in the same boat here so Im putting out my thoughts here:

We need to expand our mechanic wage comparison to include UPS and Fedex.

Nowdays the airlines are even more profitable than the shipping companies so managements excuses to exclude them are no longer valid.

Non union fedex is at $53 , UPS teamsters are at least  $50.31 from a contract from April 2011 and are in negotiations and reportedly looking for $60 ish.  

Southwest has been at $43.90 approx for about 5 or 6 years and currently in negotiations.

Delta recently to $46.15. 

I feel that the Delta number is low and if anything we ought to average Delta at 46 , Fedex at 53 and UPS at just say $56 which added together and divided by 3 gives us $51.66 as something that an aircraft mechanic at a major airline should be making and yes Fedex and Ups are major airlines. 

Reactions: 7 people
swamt said:
Bob, why in the world are you agreeing to the UAL plus 3%?  You of all people, I thought, would have very strongly pushed or educated the membership why they should have supported and pushed for UAL or DAL plus 7% as originally promised by AA CEO and later changed to 3% above.  Your 3% above either DAL or UAL acceptance is pathetic, especially without having the PS. The 7% above either DAL or UAL should be the top priority of the union as a starter. Why are all you union guys saying the 3% above is acceptable?  This has bothered me for some time from the moment it got reduced from the 7% to 3% above, and after removing the PS at AA.  If you would run the numbers you would see that the co made out like bandits by for going the PS. Please enlighten us on your thoughts about all this.  BTW, where have you been during your absence from this forum? Very curious...

Reread what I wrote. I said  "the company has already committed to giving us". Obviously the higher UAL raises the bar the higher the base line is for us. 

The Truth Will Set U Free said:

You are a waste of valuable time. Now on the "Ignore list" 

Reactions: 7 people
D7571987 said:
Im a UA guy but we are all in the same boat here so Im putting out my thoughts here:

Nowdays the airlines are even more profitable than the shipping companies so managements excuses to exclude them are no longer valid.

Non union fedex is at $53 , UPS teamsters are at least  $50.31 from a contract from April 2011 and are in negotiations and reportedly looking for $60 ish.  

Southwest has been at $43.90 approx for about 5 or 6 years and currently in negotiations.

I feel that the Delta number is low and if anything we ought to average Delta at 46 , Fedex at 53 and UPS at just say $56 which added together and divided by 3 gives us $51.66 as something that an aircraft mechanic at a major airline should be making and yes Fedex and Ups are major airlines.
It's not all about wages. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't United wanting your scope to include lost jobs through outsourcing. We need to look at the scope as well.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for ignoring me Bob.Because that just proves my point about YOU and The rest of The Board Members of Local 591. I would like to know how much Money you and the board have paid yourself for the last 3 years to do NOTHING. 

Asking someone what have they done to improve the members lives.  You say is a total waist of valuable time.

Guess It hard to say you and the rest of the board members have taken our money and done nothing but make sure your own lives are better. 

Sound just like what JIM LITTLE and his boys did.   

Reactions: 1 person
Owens is no different he has his agenda. I remember the vote no video with Ruiz, Owens and a few other degenerates. People look up to Bob but alot that work with him don't.

And you are all failing to realize that this was a JCBA, not Section 6 Negotiations, therefore, they wont be able to strike.

D7571987 said:

keep us informed to what's going on at ual with the amts.your right ups and fedex need to be included in contact talks

Latest posts