Implementation Skills

LCC_#1

Veteran
Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
First of all, I would like to say that I like the sandcastle. The team out in Tempe are young, enthusiastic, and go getters. I do believe in the vision of being a lcc with providing such full services that the the legacies have offered. I like the business casual approach and I feel after Stan Herman comes back with his creation, our look will reflect such.

BELIEVE ME, after those idiots in CCY, there is nowhere else but up.

Here is my concern.

There have been great decisions, but the implementation has stunk.
Examples:

1. Value..We set ourselves up by using the symbol LCC. While our labor cost may be lower than in years of past, we still have a legacy airline. It naturally cost more to offer certain extras that many take for granted. LOW COST to the customer means lower prices and easier cost structures...including First Class. While F/C is improving, it still lags behind the majors, yet we charge the same price. This is corperate suicide. Common sense will tell you that if AAAA gives you more for your money than BBBB, you will select AAAA. No different here.

We have essentially lied to our customers, whether it was intentional or not. We are striving to be a full service lcc. Perhaps the new website could explain that in the big waisted space on the front page. Claiming you are something and being that something are two different things and the public knows it. Most importantly, our FF's know it. POOR IMPLEMENTATION

2. Website/FF integration: A HUGE MESS!! I know I'm just a trolley dolly, but isn't there usually a testing time somehow for these types of changes. If not, there should had been a warning to all customers that the switchover may cause glitches and bombard special phone lines for FF's and corperate accts. for a week just in case. Most importantly, an apology for the inconvenience.

There is NO excuse for the wrong strips being on the wrong DM's card. That is just stupid. The company rushed all this out too soon. Privacy information has now been shared with complete strangers. POOR IMPLEMENTATION

3. UM/Dog transport policies: The east coast has a lot of dog shows that US has been carriers of. Because of a rush for consistancy (which isn't a bad thing), nobody out west thought beyond the PHX hot interiors to think of the lost revenue due to one coastline thinking. With UM's, in Asheville, NC alone, we transported anywhere from 500-750 UM's to go to summer camp. Many scrambled to other airlines that didn't have restricted policies. How about a summer exception? No, we gave other airlines well over $100,000 dollars, if not more. This decision was IMPLEMENTED POORLY.

4. Catering changes: If you tell the flight attendants you are going to do something, do it correctly. East was to get glassware back on longhaul flights June 14. Its July 12. Where is the glassware? Where is the memo? We are told that the menus have changed and that we are plating the food. Where are the plates? On the cold preset trays, without the flatware (classy plastic), with more work on the 26 seat A321..thats alot of dishes to pull when they could be put together wrapped in aluminum wrapping to warm up. Just let us know so we don't make fools when sharing with our ff's that things are improving. It lets them and us down and takes away credibility. Again, POOR IMPLEMENTATION.

5. ETC...SPEAKS FOR IT'S OWN POOR IMPLEMENTATION!!

These are but the few that I have seen personally. I don't care what policies or procedures we keep. As a Eastie, I could care less had we kept the America West name or called it Cheap Ass Airlines. All the changes matter not to me. It's a merger and mistakes will happen and decisions will be altered or changed. I get that. And believe me when I say I am farrrrrrrrrrrr happier today than 2 years ago. PLEASE READ AND DON'T MISS THE POINT HERE!!! There is an IMPLEMENTATION PROBLEM that nobody wants to admit to or take responsiblity for. We must do better here. It's like the guy who tells the girl he'll call and doesn't. Not only does it piiss her off, but he looses trust and credibility.

I know the Sandcastle employees want the very best of the new US AIRWAYS. I really have no doubt to that. BUT, you must admit when there are mistakes, own them, and reassure the customers that you understand and are correcting the problems...otherwise,..the traditional east coast customer or desserter will think NOTHING has change and we all know that is not true and something we easties have wanted to get away from.

Please...I am not here to put down those in Tempe or the new US Airways. These are but observations. It's not about change, time of, or money...but one word....IMPLEMENTATION!! It can make or break us!

Thanks for the time to share.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more. Don't care about the name of the airline, don't care about the color of the uniform, don't care about the changes to procedure. Just put some thought into what you want to change. Make sure it works first before you change it. And now with all of the rumors about US merging with NWA, the failure of implementation here makes that merger potentially a colossal mess/failure. Very scary!!!!

Very good post. Critical thinking with substance. This post is an excellent example of pointing out things that should be better and how this board can contribute to making US Airways a formidable airline.

If you look at the history of AWA, it has always jumped the fence between leisure-based carrier and business-based carrier, chasing after phantom profits from either one. The merger magnified this and concurrently sought wholesale changes at US east, changes that are vital to it's survival.

I disagree that the name means nothing. Keeping the USAirways name kept the expectations on the part of employees and customers alike that things would remain status quo. Changing the name, while costly, would have put all concerned parties on notice that the resulting airline was going to be far different from either of it's two components.

While effective leadership should encourage feedback, leaders cannot abdicate their responsibility to lead and instead submit to mob rule. Lack of clear vision is one of the biggest causes of business failures. Another is failing to translate that vision to the people charged with carrying it out.

The Tempe folks are not newbies to running an airline (it's 24 years old) and they're not stupid, but they're not magicians either. I expect an airline run by humans to make some mistakes, especially with something as complicated as this merger (that's why surgeons don't perform a quadrupal bypass and a nose job at the same time).

9 months into the merger and while there are a few really big problems, the graveyard spiral some have predicted has yet to develop. The size of the hole in the bottom of the old U has driven the pace of implementation. A healthier partner would have allowed the process to move at a more measured pace, but a healthier partner may not have needed to participate in a merger. (Ref: Chicken v. Egg)

The history of AWA has been to be a hybrid of leisure airline with enough (just enough) FF perks to keep the higher yielding passengers coming back. It's not UA or DL. It's not WN or B6. And most importantly, it's not U or AWA. LCC is what it is for better or worse.

Excellent post! What some lose sight of is that perception is everything. It doesn't matter how hard you are working, if the person paying the bills (your customer) thinks you aren't working hard, then you aren't working hard. A lot of employees in a lot of companies have lost sight of the fact that the Golden Rule is "He who has the gold makes the rules."

I spent over 20 years in the Information Technology field. We spent almost as much time testing new software, websites, etc as we spent programming them. It was expected that the product was a bug free as we could make it BEFORE we even showed it to the customer, much less implemented it.

If it's any consolation, guys, I see the same approach to new software at AA. "Throw it out there, and if nobody complains it must be ok."

I called our technical support one day to try and explain a bug in one of our internal websites. I ended up talking with the guy who actually programmed the change. He informed me that I was wrong, there was no bug on the webpage. When I asked how he could say that, his response was "Because I checked the code myself." Oh well.

First of all, I would like to say that I like the sandcastle. The team out in Tempe are young, enthusiastic, and go getters. I do believe in the vision of being a lcc with providing such full services that the the legacies have offered. I like the business casual approach and I feel after Stan Herman comes back with his creation, our look will reflect such.

Here is my concern.

There have been great decisions, but the implementation has stunk.

My wife had a charge she didn't recognize on her US Airways Master Card online activity. I looked at the charge for about $280 and saw it was "AmericaW". She had recently booked a flight on US Airways, but did a double take when she saw this charge. If the airline is called US Airways, charges to credit cards should be posted as such.

9 months into the merger and while there are a few really big problems, the graveyard spiral some have predicted has yet to develop. The size of the hole in the bottom of the old U has driven the pace of implementation. A healthier partner would have allowed the process to move at a more measured pace, but a healthier partner may not have needed to participate in a merger. (Ref: Chicken v. Egg)

Absent signage, what's really been merged?

The website? Look how that went (and is still going).

Still two fleets, certs, and labor contracts for all major groups. Two res systems.

Two checkin systems: I experienced the "merged" operation at SFO recently: lines snaking halfway back to the security line, one (one!) person working a 35 person deep "elite" line, and people yelling at pax who did not understand the PHL/PIT/CLT versus LAS/PHX stations (which, to their defense, they could not even see from the back of the line).

It's going to be the death by 1000 cuts if this keeps up. My guess for the big daddy that ends the world is the reservation system consolidation. I remember when US cut from Pacer to Sabre--that was not pretty. I can only imagine how this one is going to work (if they ever get done fixing the website, that is).

I guess I'm waiting to see if Doogie and crew can pull of any big ticket items without boffing it up. That has not happened yet.

I like your post over all & I may get slammed here but it's ok, my opinion, I feel the reason we are lcc is because of the crappy pay they pay us. If we were paid like we should be this thing would reslly take off.

So are you saying that you purposfully do not do a good job because of your pay?

What do you think you should be paid?

the Golden Rule is "He who has the gold makes the rules."

I spent over 20 years in the Information Technology field. We spent almost as much time testing new software, websites, etc as we spent programming them. It was expected that the product was a bug free as we could make it BEFORE we even showed it to the customer, much less implemented it.

If it's any consolation, guys, I see the same approach to new software at AA. "Throw it out there, and if nobody complains it must be ok."
I called our technical support one day to try and explain a bug in one of our internal websites. I ended up talking with the guy who actually programmed the change. He informed me that I was wrong, there was no bug on the webpage. When I asked how he could say that, his response was "Because I checked the code myself." Oh well.

This sounds so much like old U, it is scary. Ego, not humble " implementation", the "introspect" of the effort.
I guess there is a flow chart for engineering of software that precludes error in someones book. Sick!

LCC #1,

I felt the same way the first decade after the US/PI merger - please guys, get this right! I didn't care what the paintjob or name was, get the job done, for pete's sake!

They never did, though it took the first BK for me to realize the job as we knew it, was doomed.

I don't think it's gonna get any better, paying what they pay now.

Can the old-timers who stuck around pick up the slack for the $7 newbies and the jokes at CLT E con?

LCC #1,

I felt the same way the first decade after the US/PI merger - please guys, get this right! I didn't care what the paintjob or name was, get the job done, for pete's sake!

As did I and that is why I am heeding the warning. ;)

.... POOR IMPLEMENTATION.
You're going to hate this, but guess what PHX inflight mgmt would tell you..."Use your LAST skills (Listen Appologize Solve Thank)"

Latest posts

Back