Incentives for US Airways executives

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Incentives for US Airways executives
By: Tom Fontaine, Times Staff
04/03/2007

US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker could pocket a bonus of at least $1.1 million if the company outperforms competitors on Wall Street over the next three years, under a plan approved by the airline board last month.

Under the plan, detailed in a federal Securities and Exchange Commission filing released Friday, US Airways' top executives will get bonuses based on the company's rate of stockholder return in comparison with 12 other leading airlines.

For instance, if US Airways has the best or second-best rate of return between Jan. 1, 2007, and Dec. 31, 2009, Parker and company President Scott Kirby would get bonuses equal to 200 percent of their base salaries.

The SEC has not released executives' salary information for 2006 yet. But in 2005, Parker made a base salary of $550,000, and Kirby, an executive vice president at the time, earned $395,833. Kirby was promoted to president last September.

If US Airways' rate of return ranked eighth-best, Parker's bonus would equal 54 percent of his base salary, and Kirby's would amount to 49 percent. They would get no bonus if the airline finished in the bottom five.

Three other top executives are also eligible for the performance bonuses, but theirs would be smaller.

The filing said the board's compensation and human resources committee has "reserved the right to decrease the awards or to make no payment of an award in its discretion."

US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant said the performance-based bonuses are commonplace in the business world and are used "to retain executives who generate shareholder value."

When asked whether the program could further complicate the company's ongoing contract negotiations with its labor groups, Durrant said, "We won't discount any (negative) perception this might generate, but we're prepared to deal with that."

US Airways Capt. Arnie Gentile, who is communications chairman for the master executive council of the pilots union, questioned the timing of the program's unveiling.

"They care about retaining executives, but they don't care about keeping good employees. It's very indicative on how they view the difference of employee groups and management. It's nothing new," Gentile said.

Tom Fontaine can be reached online at [email protected].

STOCK PERFORMANCE

US Airways stock closed at $47.87 a share Tuesday, up 6.26 percent over the previous day's closing price.

Major airlines, as a whole, saw their stock value jump 3.07 percent between closings.

Over the past year, value of US Airways' stock has ranged from $36.19 a share to a high of $63.27 a share.

Is this anything new?? It has been that way for years now dating back to the W&G days at CCY...Remember how they took their Millions just days before filing BK... :blink:

Actually Rakesh did not take the $20 Million he could have before he left US.

Wolf and Gangwal were gone before Siegel filed Chapter 11.

As much as we loved to vilify Gangwal during his tenure at USAir(ways), in retrospect I think the company would have fared much better had Wolf left instead of Gangwal. There's no doubt that we still would have filed bankruptcy and taken the commensurate compensation cuts, but Gangwal was a whole lot smarter than Siegel, actually knew what he was doing, and (I think) really wanted to run the airline as a going concern. Of course, Wolf would have none of that visionary philosophy, so Gangwal left, i.e. was shoved out the door.

I think Gangwal actually enjoyed running the airline and was more focused on that aspect than on grabbing the money and slithering away like Wolf.

Gangwal came to Charlotte after 9/11 and met with all us union reps.

I will tell you the man was sincere, you cant bs that.

He did enjoy running the airline and did not like being under Wolf's thumb anymore.

He never excerised his options and told us he was not going to take the millions he could have and wanted to run the airline.

I think we would have been much better off with Rakesh here then Siegel.

Rakesh got things done, he came to CLT and he was shown all the work on the planes being done outside when they closed the GSO hangar, within less then a year the line hangar was built as he saw the need and worked with the employees.

Also we need some new equipment in Stores, he allocated 10, the beancounters said six, one call to Rakesh and we had our 10.

Another time I got a letter and a call from Wolf about some issues and he set up a meeting with Chris Doan and the other VP of mtc, they kept blowing me off, I called Rakesh and the meeting happened.

Rakesh was a good executive.

US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker could pocket a bonus of at least $1.1 million if the company outperforms competitors on Wall Street over the next three years, under a plan approved by the airline board last month.

Last month?
Is the BOD out of their minds?
This airline will melt down by the end of this year on its own.
Why is the CEO being rewarded a bonus while he is running a crippled ship (into the ground)?

(shaking head.... :( )

Gangwal came to Charlotte after 9/11 and met with all us union reps.

I will tell you the man was sincere, you cant bs that.

He did enjoy running the airline and did not like being under Wolf's thumb anymore.

He never excerised his options and told us he was not going to take the millions he could have and wanted to run the airline.

I think we would have been much better off with Rakesh here then Siegel.

Rakesh got things done, he came to CLT and he was shown all the work on the planes being done outside when they closed the GSO hangar, within less then a year the line hangar was built as he saw the need and worked with the employees.

Also we need some new equipment in Stores, he allocated 10, the beancounters said, one call to Rakesh and we had our 10.

Another time I got a letter and a call from Wolf about some issues and he set up a meeting with Chris Doan and the other VP of mtc, they kept blowing me off, I called Rakesh and the meeting happened.

Rakesh was a good executive.

Yes I liked Mr.G :up: :up: :up:

I can't recall the exact date, but there was something in the area of a $39 Million payout that W&G took along with the head legal guy. Even though Dave was CEO, Wolfie was still behind the curtain for a while. Dave left with a few Million himself as well. :shock:

It would seem the goals would be to keep worker salaries at the lowest possible level, service at a minimum, and expenditures at only the bare necesity. This would ensure executive salaries and bonus at hundreds, if not thousands of times the amount of you, me and all the others who actually make this company operate everyday. It's an obscene amount of money thrown at these folks, who have no desire to actually run an airline, only take as much money as possible out the door with them. It will all come tumbling down one day and there will be nothing left. The "hat trick" payouts are a joke.

Siegel worked for the company apx. two years and left with 5 million dollars.
Much like your budget, just so much comes in and bills must be payed.
The airline at the time must have been stupid and desparate. The BOD were retarded. Insane amounts of money have walked out the door for the betterment of what?
Hell, the pilots ran siegel off.
This place turned to crap around '97. More or less.
I haven't seen an improvement in any way since then.
Just call me a pollyanna. :rolleyes: :wacko:

Interesting thought, $5mil, divided by 46,000 (at the time) is around $108.00

Gangwal did not leave when he could have raked in over $20 million himself.

When Wolf, Gangwal and Nagin left they were paid their pensions, which were reduced and settled on in the first bankruptcy filing.