460 FA's Recalled

Only "good news" if it is enacted by Congress and signed by the President, no?

Anyone really think that will happen?

What is of greatest concern is the more than 1000 co-workers who have already fallen off the seniority list and those who will fall off at the end of Oct, Nov, Jan, April, and May, and the rest of the July folks. The APFA was the only union not to secure either extended or unlimited recall for their members. AA could put this to bed by doing the "right thing" and giving extended recall on a NPNR because of the tragic events of 9-11.

Just curious if anyone knows if the first group of returnees in NOV will be 260 for sure, or will it be for only the first 260 furloughed and how many of them that actually show up? I know the question sounds crazy, It is late and I am having trouble putting a thought together.

Just curious if anyone knows if the first group of returnees in NOV will be 260 for sure, or will it be for only the first 260 furloughed and how many of them that actually show up? I know the question sounds crazy, It is late and I am having trouble putting a thought together.

The letters are just now arriving to those recalled. Mark can better answer this but I believe the answers have to be in by Aug. 30th. Interesting in the fact that G. Arpey will be in the "hot seat" in NBCs Today Show on 8-30. Brave man.

Just curious if anyone knows if the first group of returnees in NOV will be 260 for sure, or will it be for only the first 260 furloughed and how many of them that actually show up?

August 28 - Deadline for the Company receive Accept/Reject Reemployment/Base Preference Form

The pertinent dates and other info is in the first post in this thread. The company has set up 7 classes which I believe are for a maximum of 50 each, meaning they are prepared to train as many as 350. That's an 81% acceptance factor, which is the same as the last group who started June 4. My guess is that after the dust settles, 300-325 will actually go on line on 11/13 and 12/18.

Attrition for the first seven months of 2007 has been 364, or 52 per month. At that rate another 260 will leave by year's end, meaning AA will have lost more people in 2007 than have been brought back. That's why I think there will be another sizable recall just after the first of the year. Groups of furloughees are scheduled to drop off the recall list on 10/13, 11/1, 1/31, 4/1, 5/1 and 7/2, so it's conceivable hiring off the street could begin next summer, should pending legislation fail to pass or be implemented quickly.

MK

As someone who went through it, I think I know what you are asking. What you are really asking is "if 100 people send in refusal of recall responses or no response at all, will the company go back to the list and recall more people until they get 260 bodies on the line?"

No, they will not. There is a "fudge factor" built into every recall. They expect some percentage of those notified of recall to either refuse recall explicitly or refuse by not responding. It used to be 10%. However, when I was recalled in Nov. 2004, the refusal rate was almost 25%. By the time the contractual reply period has expired, it is too late to send more notices for the same recall dates and give them the same reply time.

If the acceptance rate is higher than expected, the company just deals with the overage--knowing that attrition will take care of the overage in due course.

A higher than expected refusal rate will mean that the next recall may occur sooner than planned. A higher than expected acceptance rate will delay the next recall.

The reason that the higher than expected refusal rate at my recall did not generate another recall is because the attrition rate slowed down after my recall. However, it appears to be picking up again.

As someone who went through it, I think I know what you are asking. What you are really asking is "if 100 people send in refusal of recall responses or no response at all, will the company go back to the list and recall more people until they get 260 bodies on the line?"

No, they will not. There is a "fudge factor" built into every recall. They expect some percentage of those notified of recall to either refuse recall explicitly or refuse by not responding. It used to be 10%. However, when I was recalled in Nov. 2004, the refusal rate was almost 25%. By the time the contractual reply period has expired, it is too late to send more notices for the same recall dates and give them the same reply time.

If the acceptance rate is higher than expected, the company just deals with the overage--knowing that attrition will take care of the overage in due course.

A higher than expected refusal rate will mean that the next recall may occur sooner than planned. A higher than expected acceptance rate will delay the next recall.

The reason that the higher than expected refusal rate at my recall did not generate another recall is because the attrition rate slowed down after my recall. However, it appears to be picking up again.

AA is one of the only airlines not to have a recall bypass option for the f/as. What a shame.

If IORFA means will 260 be trained in the first group and the remainder, whatever number that is after refusals, etc, be in the second group, the answer is no. Only those in the first 260 will go on line 11/13, and we will be able to select one of the four training classes once fingerprinting, medical, etc have been taken care of. The remaining 200 (those who accept) will select one of three classes and go on line 12/18.

MK

ps My letter just arrived!

From The Travel Insider newsletter:

Dinosaur watching : What goes down must come up again? American Airlines announced plans to rehire 460 of the flight attendants who were laid off during the airline's struggle to avoid bankruptcy in the early/mid 2000s.

The flight attendants worked for TWA, which American had bought out of bankruptcy in early 2001. The union representing American’s flight attendants put their TWA counterparts at the bottom of the seniority ladder, meaning the TWA workers were first to lose their jobs when AA slashed thousands of jobs.

One wonders what the laid off flight attendants were doing for the last six years.

What an insensitive and arrogant doofus.

Write David M Rowell - The Travel Insider - at [email protected] .

With people falling off the recall list so quickly, does anyone think AA will hire off the streets for FA anytime in the foreseeable future? When is the final date that people drop off the list?

Not until we have exhausted every possible avenue to insure all furloughed WANTING to return are offered the opportunity.