Info from a SWA mech.

bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Talked to an x-AA mech friend, worked with him for 15 years, working for SWA now.

He said that he likes AMFA a lot, no comparison to TWU.
He said that according to the senior SWA mechs, the IBT wasn't all that great.
Mechanics are allowed to ride in the cockpit jumpseat. (how cool would that be for the MCI, AFW, TUL mechs bumped around the system)

There is a great working atmosphere at SWA compared to AA. (I'm assuming that has something to do with employee morale).

Certificated airman can ride in the cockpit jumpseat as long as the company and PIC agree. Non airman are not allowed.

(Airmen include A&P's, Air Traffic Controllers, Pilots, F/A's, and Dispatchers)

Certificated airman can ride in the cockpit jumpseat as long as the company and PIC agree. Non airman are not allowed.

F/As are not allowed to fly cockpit jumpseat at SWA.

Well I was informed that in the past not so far in the past that AMR board members have cockpit privileges. Who knows who else is on the list at AMR that can fly in the cockpit.

Also FAA Air Traffic controllers are not authorized flight deck riders on SWA.

Also FAA Air Traffic controllers are not authorized flight deck riders on SWA.

They are or did at one time at AA. I recall having a conversation with one at the gate several years back. It appears there is a list of people that allows who can and who can not. The FAA list and the AA list. I guess AA must get approval from the FAA to allow others to fly that are not certificated airmen.

SWA isn't a comparison at all to the Big 3. They have 2.5 Mechanics per A/C so they can afford to pay a higher wage rate. How dumb do people have to be to not understand this. The same goes for Fed Ex employees ! AMFA? IBT? Do you really think it makes much difference when your onl;y dealing with what 1200 Mechanics? Of course your going to have a "Better Work Environment", you are getting paid $44/Hr and you don't have to work with as many a-holes who can't find a Maintenance reference to save there life. Hey if everyone wants 85% outsourcing and $44/Hr go for it !!

US Pilots threw out the AMT's looking for Jump Seats after the 90's strike. Bad blood. I can't see that happening again.

SWA isn't a comparison at all to the Big 3. They have 2.5 Mechanics per A/C so they can afford to pay a higher wage rate. How dumb do people have to be to not understand this. The same goes for Fed Ex employees ! AMFA? IBT? Do you really think it makes much difference when your onl;y dealing with what 1200 Mechanics? Of course your going to have a "Better Work Environment", you are getting paid $44/Hr and you don't have to work with as many a-holes who can't find a Maintenance reference to save there life. Hey if everyone wants 85% outsourcing and $44/Hr go for it !!

Maybe some of us are "dumb" enough to understand that staying with or getting rid of the TWU isn't just about money.............

The TWU did not Bankrupt your company. The TWU or the IAM for that matter did not raise fuel prices to levels unsustainable for airlines to compete financially. Every Union has gone through a Bankruptcy process and the members response is to dethrone them. Does it change the Bankruptcy? No. Does it change the concessionary Contract? No. The airline Industry has a whole has never made money. That's the business and you can't do anything to change it. There will always be ups and downs. I can guarantee you a New Union representation will not be an instant fix of whatever you think needs fixing.

Maybe some of us are "dumb" enough to understand that staying with or getting rid of the TWU isn't just about money.............

You are 100% correct. Getting rid of the twu is not just about money. Its about getting rid of the corruption,lies and good ole boy club,but most of all in my opinion is putting accountability back in unionism. No accountability was brought on by the afl-cio and there no raid clause. This should have been called the no accountability clause. Oh by the way Jac keep your fists up and keep giving them Hell.

Reactions: 1 person
No the TWU didn't bring us to bankruptcy, corporate criminals took care of that, yes all the airlines have been there, several times. If it happens to us again, if I still work for AA at that time, I want a union with a backbone.......

No the TWU didn't bring us to bankruptcy, corporate criminals took care of that, yes all the airlines have been there, several times. If it happens to us again, if I still work for AA at that time, I want a union with a backbone.......
With AMFA, the members are the backbone not the union.
If your members have backbone then AMFA will have it.
Just voting in AMFA will not give you a backbone.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts