BOD on flight

LCC_#1

Veteran
Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of having one of the new US Airways Board of Directors onboard my flight from ORD to CLT. After landing early (from PHL...I know amazing), a coworker and I hoped off the airplane to grab a gyro from the airport. (btw, big recommendation..EXCELLENT!!) I walked past an older man that had an America West ID on. He was from Cooperate so of course I wanted to know who he was.

Sorry, but the gyro came first, but upon return I introduced myself to him and asked him if he would like to come down to the airplane with us. My shmoozing juices were flowing for info. He introduced himself as Herb Baum, one of the BOD members. I found it interesting that he had a company id, but whatever, I never met a BOD of any company. To find out, Herb is on the BOD on 5 company boards, including the company he was pres and ceo of, DIAL, and Pepsi, for which we all got in a good chuckle.

As Herb spoke with us, I asked many questions and of course gave my opinions. (Like THAT was ever in doubt :lol: ) He told me that the board sees that we must take care of the FC section of the aircraft as our service is not good compared to others and HE reminded me of how we have tauted our product as the only lcc WITH f/c. Changes must be made.

I told him that our FF's are unhappy with the cheapening of the f/c product and that it wasn't the cheapening of the product that was as bad as the price, which is the same as a more lavish product at other carriers. He agree 100% that from a consumer stand point, he understood why customers were bolting on transcons. I told him that I was tired of seeing us give our highend business travelers to UA, who is aggressively inticing them away. He got it!! AND He agreed.

I told him to PLEASE let DP know that none of us really mind being a lcc, but that we seem to be coming across as a "cheap ass carrier" and that there WAS a difference. Again, he agreed.

Herb was very sincere and shared how he was on the BOD of AWA and that he loved this company. He has been impressed with kindness of the East f/a's for which he was warned were sometimes grumpy. We on the East have naturally proven him wrong. He sees where we need to change and is excited about the remaking of what is now the new US Airways. In otherwords, he likes us...he really likes us.

Yes, Herb sat in f/c, but not on the company's dollar but on the dollar of another. He was one of only two customers NOT US1's on that flight. Of course, I will brag and say I did a wonderful job and everyone left pleased, as well as Herb.

In 19 years of flying, I have NEVER, EVER even SEEN a US Airways BOD member, must less one that CARED or SPOKE to the little guy. I walked away from that flight truly feeling as if there was at LEAST one BOD member that has his eyes set on the complete success of US Airways. With all his millions and power, Herb had no reason to BS me or tell me what I wanted to hear. He was sincere, honest, and personable. He spoke highly of DP and the entire management team. He acknowledged that there were the issues of labor intergration, which is normal and the operational intergration challenges, but he believes in US and if the others feel like Herb, we DO have alot to be excited about.

I know, high oil prices, labor issues, SWA, on and on...But I just want to say that at this juncture of my life, I HAVE to work. I have no rich relatives. I have no trust fund, and to be honest...no great talents that will raise me to the level of making millions. I just can't imagine 22 years of just getting by and just giving as little as possible and being bitter because of this or that.

I am going to brag and YES, pat myself on the back. It was a great pleasure to represent US Airways with a high quality of service DESPITE plastic and no food. But if respect, professionalism, manners, and kindness...as well as a handshake and a thank you..is all it takes to please the 10 US Airways US1's and a BOD (no I did what I would always do) AND be given praise for a job well done..., than life is good. No, I'm not a kool-aid drinker, but like I said, I HAVE to work. I would challenge every person to do the simple things I listed above and feel the difference. NO LIE!! It will raise you to a different level professionally AND personally. That, and with people like Herb, restores my confidence in this industry AND US Airways.

Well, that's just my feelings. :)

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of having one of the new US Airways Board of Directors onboard my flight from ORD to CLT.
Uh oh ...

How long until a certain LCC Captain is here telling us this is a sure sign of an imminent takeover of UA by LCC ...

Uh oh ...

How long until a certain LCC Captain is here telling us this is a sure sign of an imminent takeover of UA by LCC ...

I for one would relish a UA takeover. Imagine the global powerhouse we could become. :up:

Ok to get us back on topic. I have always felt that the degradation of the product is more a result of the economic environment rather than the vision to just offer a larger seat. While I am envious of UA and their service I am not envious of their losses. While a barebones F product worked great when HP was in the west, more leisure traffic and upgrades, it is not a competitive asset for size.

Now that we have European markets and Carribbean traffic coupled with a much larger business customer base we must find a new way to offer top notch first service. Im hopeful that as profits return first will get better. However I have to wonder if having unlimited upgrades is a barrier to improved service. If F is going to be top notch we will probably have to reduce the complimentary elite upgrades.

Back in the Schofield days I was working a flight to CLT and this man with a face like a Pitbull (the dog, not the poster) came stomping up the jetway. There was a problem with a dupe seat in F. I pulled up his reservation and he was canceled as a no-show. Reading the remarks in the PNR, he was a member of the BOD. I tried to apologize for the problem and explain that the flight was now full and I would do my best to get him a seat. He DEMANDED that I give him HIS first class seat. Come to find out he was supposed to fly from ERI-PIT-CLT and decided to drive to PIT instead. Since he no-showed out of ERI, his reservation canceled. I was able to get him a coach aisle seat, and he demanded I pull a REVENUE cusotmer from F. I told him I would not pull a PAYING passenger to accomodate him and he had a choice, get on the airplane in 8C and stay in PIT. The Pitbull got on and told me he would make sure that I didn't have a job by the end of the week.

I was mortified. I went right to the Directors Office. Explained what happened and was put on the phone with Schofield himself to explain the situation. Mr. Scofield commended my actios and said not to worry about it. =) Funny thing is....I am still here and he is no where to be found. lol

That was my only brush with the BOD......

Nice Post LCC! Everytime I go into a Lav and see the "Dial" Soap Dispensers I think of Herb. About 3 years ago West changed out all the soap dispensers with the Dial soap dispensers. We thought it was very strange until AWA announced Herb was being appointed to the BOD. Nice to hear he is a very personable guy.

I am going to brag and YES, pat myself on the back. It was a great pleasure to represent US Airways with a high quality of service DESPITE plastic and no food. But if respect, professionalism, manners, and kindness...as well as a handshake and a thank you..is all it takes to please the 10 US Airways US1's and a BOD (no I did what I would always do) AND be given praise for a job well done..., than life is good. No, I'm not a kool-aid drinker, but like I said, I HAVE to work. I would challenge every person to do the simple things I listed above and feel the difference. NO LIE!! It will raise you to a different level professionally AND personally. That, and with people like Herb, restores my confidence in this industry AND US Airways.

Should you brag? sure...You obviously sound like your quite proud of what you do for a living....That is what the airline needs, people who care! Everyone needs to sieze the moment, US is the darling of the industry. Like LCC says, a smile and a thank you goes a long way.

LCC #1, thanks for doing a great job and thanks for being an excellent example of US Airways employees!

LCC,

Thanks for the interesting and informative post.

My wife and I are US1s who are patiently waiting to see how things develop with US in general and DM. It's a nice sign to hear that someone on the BOD admits that these and other issues are being discussed.

As mentioned, I think that the general economics and the additional uncertainty created by rising fuel prices will make for some tough decisions even tougher for US and other carriers.

We'll continue to hang in there and hope that US finds the right balance for the product and FFers.

Barry

LCC#1,

I met my share of BOD members...

Its not the BOD member that made you proud of your profession...its what you do and your attitude that makes him proud.

After all, he's sitting on the BOD not for his health; but wealth. And he knows Labor/frontline performance is the key to success in a customer service driven business.

Glad to hear he respects that.

LCC#1,

I met my share of BOD members...

Its not the BOD member that made you proud of your profession...its what you do that makes him proud.

After all, he's sitting on the BOD not for his health; but wealth. And he knows Labor/frontline performance is the key to success in a customer service driven business.

Glad to hear he respects that.

BINGO. Didnt want to say it....was just waiting to see who would pick up on this first :):):):):)