Intra- Florida

1ab

Advanced
Aug 21, 2002
U has cut down drasitcally its intra-florida flying..but I wondered if there would be some advantage with intra-florida flying with a code-share with UA or even if they joined the Star ALliance..
I think it is a bad mistake to have pulled out of TLH TPA and TPA JAX market..I am hoping someone see the light and reinstate some flights so they have a presence in these markets...

Don't worry...DL and Airtran will fill the void in FLA.....then MDA will try and take it back......oops too late.....

Recently, JAX-TPA has been 5 Dash-8's a day in competition with WN's 3 737's. Load factors seem to have varied widely on both carriers, but other than the early AM southbound and 5 to 7 PM northbounds, Piedmont did not look very busy. The loss of reasonable connections to other parts of the state from TPA probably hurt as well.

Sorry to see Piedmont leave intra-state service. The old Piedmont Shuttle was well used in the 80's and in the 90's until WN arrived, we had great non-stop service to GNV, TPA, MCO, FLL, PBI, MIA and easy connections to every place in the state.

Not to cry over spilled milk, but if the F80's (as difficult to maintain as they were) had been kept in Florida service at the time of the merger, there would have been little room for competition.

US is done for in the intra-Florida market. Even with Star Alliance and UAL codeshare, it won't make a difference. Yields are simply too low for US to compete.

WN's presence is strong though I don't see them adding a lot of intra-Florida flying. AAI is getting stronger and may add more flying with the recent Air Wisconsin RJ deal.

Even DL will start contracting most of the Florida flying to Chautauqua in order to cut costs.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/3/2002 8:55:15 AM DLFlyer31 wrote:
[P]US is done for in the intra-Florida market.  Even with Star Alliance and UAL codeshare, it won't make a difference.  Yields are simply too low for US to compete.[BR][BR]WN's presence is strong though I don't see them adding a lot of intra-Florida flying.  AAI is getting stronger and may add more flying with the recent Air Wisconsin RJ deal.[BR][BR]Even DL will start contracting most of the Florida flying to Chautauqua in order to cut costs.  [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Actually, now that UA and US are formally in bed together, US may start adding Florida service back to feed UA's international gateway at MIA. Additionally, UA currently feeds with CO Express to places like TPA, NAS, EYW, and MCO. Now that US is the partner, UA may drop CO Express and instead feed with US Express.[/P]

Actually, now that UA and US are formally in bed together, US may start adding Florida service back to feed UA's international gateway at MIA. Additionally, UA currently feeds with CO Express to places like TPA, NAS, EYW, and MCO. Now that US is the partner, UA may drop CO Express and instead feed with US Express.[/P]
Doubt It!

DLFlyer:

DLFlyer31 said: US is done for in the intra-Florida market. Even with Star Alliance and UAL codeshare, it won't make a difference. Yields are simply too low for US to compete. WN's presence is strong though I don't see them adding a lot of intra-Florida flying. AAI is getting stronger and may add more flying with the recent Air Wisconsin RJ deal. Even DL will start contracting most of the Florida flying to Chautauqua in order to cut costs.

Chip comments: DLFlyer, at the recent Orlando employee meeting US CEO Dave Siegel said the company is looking at competitive ways to re-enter Florida markets. In addition, do not be surprised when MDA, wholly-owned, and affiliate RJ operations begin, if you see the breath of the US Airways network fly the Intra-Florida market with the small jets. The company has said it will increase its RJ operations from the current total of 70 aircraft to approximately 300 in the next three to four years with 80 RJs added in 2003. In the second half of 2003 it appears there will be eight RJs added per month to the US Airways Express network.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/3/2002 12:02:05 PM chipmunn wrote:

Chip comments: DLFlyer, at the recent Orlando employee meeting US CEO Dave Siegel said the company is looking at competitive ways to re-enter Florida markets. In addition, do not be surprised when MDA, wholly-owned, and affiliate RJ operations begin, do not be surprised if you see the breath of the US Airways network fly the Intra-Florida market with the small jets. The company has said it will increase its RJ operations from the current total of 70 aircraft to approximately 300 in the next three to four years with 80 RJs added in 2003. In the second half of 2003 it appears there will be eight RJs added per month to the US Airways Express network.

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

With all those RJ's coming, do you think low yield intra-florida flying will be a priority? I doubt it. I expect the first priorities will be replacing mainline flights, upgrading existing prop flights and adding frequencies to improve some routes.

Also, if US is serious about intra-Florida, why not at least keep a presence on some routes? Look at TLH, US is completely cancelling all service on TLH-TPA, TLH-MCO and TLH-PBI. Many folks in TLH are simply going to abandon US altogether after these cuts. All gov't traffic is being sent to AAI and DL is likely to take the rest because of better flight offerings and FF loyalty. If US comes back to TLH with new MDA RJ's, will there be anyone that cares???

DLFlyer31:

US understands the Intra-Florida low yield issue and is evaluating a competitive response. Nothing occurs over night and time will tell how this unfolds.

Chip