Is AA the only Airline with Flight Attendants on Furlough?

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
I have been told that ,we at AA, are still the ONLY Airline with Flight Attendants on "involuntary" furlough...Can anyone confirm this?

You may be right, but I was under the impression US Airways f/as had unlimited recall rights. It would seem odd that they limit recall rights when f/as are allowed to pass on a recall as long as there are people junior to them on the furlough list.

Some US Airways furloughs timed out on call back rights.

US' recall rights never expire. During the last recall, Inflight made it all the way to the bottom of the furlough list. You could bypass recall and remain on the list until they made it to the bottom. When they reached the bottom and came back up to you, you had to either accept or resign. They started the inverse process, but never made it through the entire list back to the top.

I never understood why a Union would agree to having recall rights expire? What's the benefit to the company? Talk about making employees feel unwanted.....

Seems to be the "American" way..Never have cared and never will care..Sad to see we still are the only airline with furloughs, not to mention, more furloughs on the horizon..Why can't these execs get it right?

I never understood why a Union would agree to having recall rights expire? What's the benefit to the company? Talk about making employees feel unwanted.....
I think it goes back to the days when furloughs were rare, and recalls quick when they did occur. AA had not had a furlough in twenty years until 2001, so it just wasn't seen as an issue. At TWA in the seventies, we would furlough nearly every year in the fall and recall in the spring. Furloughs lasting years were simply unheard of. When FA's furloughed in '79 fell off the recall list in '84, the next contract extended recall rights to seven years, and the falloffs were offered reemployment when hiring resumed in 1985.

Longer furloughs are unfortunately a fact of life now, and contracts need to address that fact. AA should have unlimited recall rights extended to those who have already fallen off the list. Those who've fallen off are at or near the bottom of the pay scale, so money shouldn't be the issue.

MK

Midwest Airlines also has FAs on furlough. They recently grounded 20+ airplanes and contracted some of their flying to Republic Airlines. I'm not sure what type of recall rights their AFA contract protects.

Their numbers probally don't count in the context of discussion on a AA board. My take is that you people only care about yourselves, not the overall flight attendant profession.

Quote by Bartlett: Their numbers probally don't count in the context of discussion on a AA board. My take is that you people only care about yourselves, not the overall flight attendant profession

Heck Bartlett, we have work groups here at AA who could care less about each other. <_<

US' recall rights never expire. During the last recall, Inflight made it all the way to the bottom of the furlough list. You could bypass recall and remain on the list until they made it to the bottom. When they reached the bottom and came back up to you, you had to either accept or resign. They started the inverse process, but never made it through the entire list back to the top.

Hey. I thought they expired. I used to have a friend from another airline who worked there and was furloughed. I thought she lost her recall. I guess she just must've quit.

I guess the union agreed with that because no other offer was available without paying a price.

Hey. I thought they expired. I used to have a friend from another airline who worked there and was furloughed. I thought she lost her recall. I guess she just must've quit.

I guess the union agreed with that because no other offer was available without paying a price.

US' recall rights never expire. It's the right thing to do for your employees, especially the ones suffering furloughs.

Easy to bag AA on this one but they did not go through bk and get those cost savings. Those FA's at US, DL, NW, and UA are working for less.

However, AA accepted 9/11 emergency funds from the government. Taxpayer funds. And then booted thousands to the street without extending recall rights.

APFA has done a marvelous job at protecting jobs.

Marvelous.

Latest posts