Is Affirmative Action another racist prossevive program?

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
We know historically that the Progressive Movement is overwhelmingly White with fare fewer "Person's of Color" then one might expect.
We also know that Progressives tend to have an elitist arrogance coupled with and air of moral superiority? They have in fact often been called "The East Coast Liberal Establishment"

With the above as a backdrop I decided to look up the definition of the word.

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Upon review of the above definition one could conclude that Progressives are indeed racists. Clever & Sophisticated ones but racists none the less. Let's examine definition one.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
- If Progressives didn't believe this to be true then what basis would there be for Affirmative Action? Are Progressives aware of the stereotype they've created? Take the case of my dear friend who worked her ever loving assets off to get an Ivy League Scholarship. Once at Penn she was derided as a "Quota Queen". She got to Penn the old fashioned way, she EARNED an academic scholarship. She is now COO of one of the fastest growing minority owned (by Her) enterprises in the US. Yet the average Progressive thinks she couldn't have possibly gotten there on her own without their help via Affirmative Action. To me, Affirmative Action is the Progressive saying, "You poor dumb (Insert racial slur) how could you possibly think you can succeed without the White Man's help".While this statement is seldom spoken it lives and breathes in the action of the Progressive.

Moving along to definition number 2.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race. - we've seen countless reverse discrimination lawsuits adjudicated in favor of whites, particularly white males and particularly in academia where the Progressive bias of the faculty and administration is well documented even in the MSM.

The Progressive movement in my observation is a lot closer to the KKK than it is to the ideals espoused by MLK in his "I have a Dream" speech where a person's Principles mattered more than his Pigmentation. Funny thing is this. Ask yourself, "Did Condy Rice get the job of Secretary of State because she earned it? OR was she yet another high level "Quota Queen"?
Sadly, thanks to the racist Progressives we'll never really know will we?

A conclusion based on 'we knows' leaves offers nothing but bias.

Which, apparently you are arguing against.

Essentially yes! Which is really my argument against the Progressives. Their entire philosophy is based on the simple premise that "We Know" as in We know you don't need guns
We Know you need socialized medicine

My question has always been "How could you possibly know what's best for me?

As opposed to we know marijuana is bad for you, and we know marriage is only between a man and a woman.

I don't agree with those statements either. God created man in his own image. Since he couldn't create another omnipresent, omnipotent & omniscient being he gave us the next best thing, a free will. The above explanation comes from the Augustinian Theodicy from around the 5th century and is one of the cornerstones of modern Christianity.

Progressive hypocrisy is a bit easier to find and point out, however to say that Republicans don't suffer from the same self absorbed illness is to ignore the basic facts or our day to day lives. I've written on the insane war on drugs many times and I favor legalizing all drugs and treating their use/abuse as a public health issue. On the issue of Gays and gay marriage my political opinion differs from my personal opinion and I'll just leave it with this.

The government has no fundamental right to regulate the bedroom or the activities enjoyed therein beyond ensuring that whomever is in that bed is an adult, consenting and safe.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, I agree 100%. On Jul 3, 1964 racism just disappeared from the American landscape. Case closed.

Your credibility is really wearing thin. Your 'libertarian' tendencies are being challenged by your republican tenancies. You profess to hate both sides Dem/Rep equally but you only condemn the left. Only when pressed do you come out against the right for doing the exact same thing. It's getting quite old.

Reactions: 2 people
Your credibility is really wearing thin. Your 'libertarian' tendencies are being challenged by your republican tenancies. You profess to hate both sides Dem/Rep equally but you only condemn the left. Only when pressed do you come out against the right for doing the exact same thing. It's getting quite old.

Progressives are frankly a much easier target. The Republicans will at least offer lip service to the principles set forth in the founding documents. Affirmative Action is a racist scar upon our land brought forth by well meaning and sincere people who have IMO done more harm than good for persons of color in this great land.

Like I said, racism disappeared Ju3, 1964. No idea what all the hubbub is about.

Like I said, racism disappeared Ju3, 1964. No idea what all the hubbub is about.

By providing a system such as Affirmative Action, Progressives have stated for all to see that it is they who are in fact the racists. By even having such a system you create the impression that the person who benefits from Affirmative Action is somehow inferior and has no hope of being successful on the Dominate Cultures terms without the wisdom and largess of the dominate culture.

If in the minds of the Progressive, blacks were truly equal then their would be no need for a program like Affirmative Action. As for racism ending on July 3rd goes, that's just plain ludicrous. NEWS FLASH! Racism is here to stay, Period!!! The sooner each of us INDIVIDUALLY confronts this demon the sooner we can work towards a remedy. I have racists thoughts, I admit it and I confront them often as they have no place in my life.

My Dear friend, the COO thanks to the Progressive movement is now viewed as someone who got where she is because of Affirmative Action & not her native talent and if that's not racism I don't know what is. Especially when nothing could be further than the truth. I can assure you it was not the case. I saw what certain white bosses said and did to her. One calling her a "Nappy Headed Knuckle Scrapper". I know because it was said in front of me. Did she run to the EEOC? Nope, she transferred to another city and made her mark there. The really bad part is I of all people suggested she play the race card and get these jerks fired. She had a witness (me) and she could have easily done it. She to her credit didn't follow my advice. As for those two twits? She makes more now then both combined and every penny EARNED not through Government intervention but by the metaphorical sweat of her brow.

Funny thing is always called her "My Friend XXXXX", NEVER "My black friend XXXX" like you hear so many Progressives do.

Are legacy admissions to Ivy League schools affirmative action?

I believe in a true meritocracy, so in some respects legacy admissions are really inappropriate viewed through the prism of merit alone. However we also have traditions which is what a legacy admission really is. Without traditions society loses some of the glue that bonds us both as country and community.

I don't like the idea of them, but I get where they come from.

By providing a system such as Affirmative Action, Progressives have stated for all to see that it is they who are in fact the racists. By even having such a system you create the impression that the person who benefits from Affirmative Action is somehow inferior and has no hope of being successful on the Dominate Cultures terms without the wisdom and largess of the dominate culture.

If in the minds of the Progressive, blacks were truly equal then their would be no need for a program like Affirmative Action. As for racism ending on July 3rd goes, that's just plain ludicrous. NEWS FLASH! Racism is here to stay, Period!!! The sooner each of us INDIVIDUALLY confronts this demon the sooner we can work towards a remedy. I have racists thoughts, I admit it and I confront them often as they have no place in my life.

My Dear friend, the COO thanks to the Progressive movement is now viewed as someone who got where she is because of Affirmative Action & not her native talent and if that's not racism I don't know what is. Especially when nothing could be further than the truth. I can assure you it was not the case. I saw what certain white bosses said and did to her. One calling her a "Nappy Headed Knuckle Scrapper". I know because it was said in front of me. Did she run to the EEOC? Nope, she transferred to another city and made her mark there. The really bad part is I of all people suggested she play the race card and get these jerks fired. She had a witness (me) and she could have easily done it. She to her credit didn't follow my advice. As for those two twits? She makes more now then both combined and every penny EARNED not through Government intervention but by the metaphorical sweat of her brow.

Funny thing is always called her "My Friend XXXXX", NEVER "My black friend XXXX" like you hear so many Progressives do.
You have no idea what Affirmative action is. You are simply parroting talking points. Go talk to someone (an EEOC attorney) about the true legal definition and ramifications of the law.

Hint, it has nothing to do with quotas.

You have no idea what Affirmative action is. You are simply parroting talking points. Go talk to someone about the true legal definition and ramifications of the law.

Hint, it has nothing to do with quotas.

I'm fully aware of the intent of Affirmative Action and nowhere in any legislation or rules governing Affirmative Action is there even a mention of the word Quota. The "Quota Queen" phrase is from my friend who is Black. I've held this view since 1972 well before "Talking Points" were invented or at least identified. Out of respect I offer this from Wikipedia"
Affirmative action was first established in Executive Order 10925, which was signed by President John F. Kennedy on March 6, 1961 and required government contractors to "not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, or national origin" as well as to "take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin". This executive order was superseded by Executive Order 11246, which was signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson on September 24, 1965 and affirmed the Federal Government's commitment "to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive, continuing program in each executive department and agency". It is notable that affirmative action was not extended to women until Executive Order 11375 amended Executive Order 11246 on October 13, 1967, expanding the definition to include "sex." As it currently stands, affirmative action through Executive Order 11246 applies to "race, color, religion, sex, or national origin." In the U.S., affirmative action's original purpose was to pressure institutions into compliance with the nondiscrimination mandate of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Civil Rights Acts do not cover veterans, people with disabilities, or people over 40. These groups are protected from discrimination under different laws. Affirmative action has been the subject of numerous court cases, and has been contested on constitutional grounds. In 2003, a Supreme Court decision concerning affirmative action in universities allowed educational institutions to consider race as a factor in admitting students, but ruled that strict point systems are unconstitutional. Conservatives say that state officials have widely disobeyed it. Alternatively, some colleges use financial criteria to attract racial groups that have typically been under represented and typically have lower living conditions. Some states such as California (California Civil Rights Initiative) and Michigan (Michigan Civil Rights Initiative) have passed constitutional amendments banning affirmative action within their respective states. A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2003 found that people with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to be interviewed for a job compared to people with "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg

Ignoring for a moment that Affirmative action is codified by Executive Order which in essence is ruling by decree, something the framers of the Constitution sought to eliminate, I've yet to see anything to my mind that deals with uplifting the black man. What I see is a series of Executive Orders that APPEAR to be a solution but in reality perpetuate racism with the subtle and none to subtle notion that somehow blacks can't "Make it" on their own and need help which in addition to be incredibly arrogant it is also incredibly racist. Malcolm X warned of this. IMO Institutional racism is rampant not in spite of Affirmative Action but because of it. One only need look at the last sentence of the quote for proof.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure why u keep spouting off. Jul 3, 1964 racism disappeared and nothing else needed to be done. How much clearer do I need to be?

Latest posts