Finally a Scholarship for Caucasians

Leto2

Advanced
Oct 6, 2006
Arizona
www.aircraftguru.com
I always thought that it was somewhat racist to have "African American", hispanic, or Native American scholarships, yet no scholarships for caucasians. I knew one girl that was 1/8 Native American, and even though she looked white to me, she's going to dental school for free. Finally there is a scholarship for whites! Here's the article.

Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

"Did we do this to give a scholarship to white kids? Of course not," the scholarship reads. "Did we do it to trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit? Absolutely."
La Fuerza Co-Chair Sara-Marie Pons, who is also on the Admissions Student Diversity Board, said although she agrees with BUCR's claim that racial preference is "contradictory to our American ideals of freedom and equality," she feels American history justifies today's affirmative action." Our country oppressed people of color for centuries while everyone else who was 'preferred' continued to succeed and lead our country in all aspects," the School of Management senior said in an email. "The goal of a university in striving to admit more students of color is a positive movement to increase the diversity of its institution."

While I agree that people of color were oppressed in the past, I think that affirmative action only increases the racial divide now. We should live in a country where we don't have to worry about color--positively or negatively. It shouldn't matter. That means there should be no racism, and no affirmative action. There is a "Black Student Union" at almost every college, but a "White Student Union" would be racist. What's the difference? I think that having a BSU just divides blacks from everyone else.

Anyways, great move by the Boston University College Republicans.

Latest posts